1250GS vs S1000XR

And back in proportion!!

Attachments

• E3134203-B518-4CA6-86BF-8613FECBC216.jpg
    E3134203-B518-4CA6-86BF-8613FECBC216.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 313
All this talk of XRs has made me book a test ride this weekend :augie

Rode a Euro3, Euro4 and new Euro5 today. Surprised the new one had the worst vibration - not so much through the bars but through the frame and seat as well. The other two felt about the same, but bloody hell the brakes are good on that new one - same ones as the 1250 but just felt sooo strong.

Decided on a newish Euro4 (2019 plate) - great fun and very angry.

Cant agree with that sorry ,B roads are where the GS excells and on the mountain passes . The XR and the SDR are better on the big fast roads but not on the back roads , had a few rides with both on the said roads and yet to be shown otherwise.
Only ever had a short ride / rides on the XR and found it horrible , the SDR , great engine but handling is questionable along with comfort and the front end is twitchy ( been riding one over the last weeks ) like it but not a capable as the GS , faster top end yes but whats the real skill in that compared to back road surefooteness and torque , the GS can hold its speed all day long , in all situations.

SDGT and SDR are two entirely different bikes

It’s all personal to be fair.

Chopped in a 1200 Rallye for an XR a year ago and covered 200 miles.

Collect a 1250 Rallye next week.

Just didn’t enjoy the XR at all.

You will love the 1250

Collected Friday and from ten yards into the ride home, I knew I made the right choice.

The 1250 does feel an improvement over the previous model, but can't pinpoint exactly why, it just feels good. Strangely I expected to need bar risers, but the first 100 miles have been fine from stock.

Farkled already, to include oem headlight protector, upper and lower bars, tank bag ring, side stand extender, black hand guards, indicator guards (I always break them!), smaller legal plate (new private reg I treated myself to) and have a Mivv can to install.

Bought a Bagster seat set off here just in case the one piece cut up my nads and have all the comms working flawlessly.

Never had a TFT screen and have to say I love it.

Collected Friday and from ten yards into the ride home, I knew I made the right choice.

The 1250 does feel an improvement over the previous model, but can't pinpoint exactly why, it just feels good. Strangely I expected to need bar risers, but the first 100 miles have been fine from stock.

Farkled already, to include oem headlight protector, upper and lower bars, tank bag ring, side stand extender, black hand guards, indicator guards (I always break them!), smaller legal plate (new private reg I treated myself to) and have a Mivv can to install.

Bought a Bagster seat set off here just in case the one piece cut up my nads and have all the comms working flawlessly.

Never had a TFT screen and have to say I love it.

Rest my case , you could sell it and buy a 1200 , but I think you will find why that’s not an option 👍

r1happy ; My bike looks like yours except I have black BMW cast wheels in stock GS sizes,Akra EU-3 slip-on and stock GSA "sports-suspension"...LOVE the bike ! On your Ohlins-TTX - Does yours show the yellow triangle as in ESA fault and if not what have you done to prevent it ? Thanks !
As for the XR the 2015-19 where faster in roll-on in top gear and where louder than the new EU-5 bikes... Hope BMW solves the problem going from 250 to 300 cc per cylinder with a S 1200 XR...:thumby: 210 hp and 140NM would be enough to re-consider one...:D
As the GS would be perfect as a R 1400 XR with 170hp / 155 NM with T-L , an exhaust that allows 2 FULL SIZE bags and 17 inch front-wheel that allows the geometry be stable at 155mph with bags & top case and still as fun and quick handling as the current one on back-roads....:thumb2

Mine doesn’t have the yellow triangle because before I ordered the bike, I discussed my plans with the dealer. As a result I ordered a basic bike, acquired a set of wheels and the Ohlins. My dealer swapped them over before delivery. No ESA so no triangle.

150+mph would be good but using that is a recipe for jail time these days. However the sports bike size wheels, M9rr tyres & Ohlins make the handling phenomenal. Surprised quite a few sports bikes in the Scottish Borders last weekend. Embarrassing for them. Such fun for me!!!

Thanks for your answer r1happy ! I had Ohlins TTX on my former 2017 TB 1200GSADV and while the shocks were great the always lit up yellow triangle wasn't.I was surprised that Ohlins did not have a solution or that you have a non-ESA bike or that Ohlins still does not have ESA shocks for BMW's...THat is why I kept my stock sports suspension this time which actually feels almost as good as the Ohlins...but Ohlins are rebuildable which is a big plus.
As for the cast wheels your bike with the 17 inch front probably steers even quicker than mine with stock 19 inch geometry but you loose an inch on the front which makes the bike more frisky running 140 mph with bags/topcase.
And yes I know what you say the 1250GS is the best sport-bike for backroads...especially when they get bumpy...real sport-bikes are only better on track-days where pavement is smooth and turns/straights tend to be longer...;)
Have fun & enjoy...:thumb2

I haven’t noticed it being frisky at all but I was wary of the possibility, so I also replaced the BMW steering damper with a fully adjustable HyperPro damper. My project for my last big bike is now complete.

I have spent the winter working on my other bike, a pre VTEC VFR800. Full exhaust, Bar risers, adjustable Firestorm forks fully rebuilt with K-Tech springs & re-chromed stanchions, Fireblade calipers with braided hoses, YSS shock, chain/sprockets, 2018 VFR800 ten spoke rear wheel with M9 tyres & Hilltop remap. Just checking the valves and then it will also be sorted. Still looks like standard at first glance but goes, handles and stops much better. That is also another keeper. Life is good.

r1happy do you have the stock or sports suspension which is the 5 mm shorter T-L arm and 20 mm longer shocks or your 1250 ? I do and my bike starts to get loose around 130 mph and everything above with expanded Vario bags and top case gets "ineresting" to say at least...I know bags say 112 mph max but still.Bike will do 143.
The shorten the trail on my bike with a 17 inch front wheel would definitely have spelled desaster...That is why I went with the black "exclusive" cast wheels which are roughly 2,5 lbs lighter than the spoke ones...A good decision until I hit a pothole...;)

I just ordered the basic bike with standard not sports suspension, as I knew it was coming straight off. I have altered the front preload to raise the stance at the front so it wasn’t nose heavy with possible ground clearance issues, and lowered the rear preload to compensate. As I put on the 6” rear wheel, the swap to an RS swingarm has made all the difference in removing the offset.

There are some on here who say their 190 rear is in line using the standard arm but that’s just bollocks. There is a reason why the RS with a 180 rear has a different part number for the swingarm, and you can see the difference just looking at it.

Interesting ! Seems like the regular 1250 with 5 mm more trail might not have the stability issue running V/max with bags/topcase...Thanks again r1happy for answering my question.You went all out ($$$) with the RS/R swingarm to fight the offset on the rear...:thumb I personally don't think the offset makes a difference but at least you did it right as in perfect...:thumby: I wish the M9RR or at least the new M01SE would come in stock GS sizes !
Have to wait for the M1300GS...;)
Enjoy you bike...I hope the scamdemic be over though as I can't wait to take my bike to Mexico where you can ride like a free man...:D

Back
Top Bottom