2011 GS cold idle and TPS issues

Issuds

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 2011 R1200GS with 35K miles and have an issue which I was wondering if people had experience of.

When the bike is cold it starts okay but will not idle without some throttle input, as soon as there is some heat then it will idle but throttle response is not great, this improves after a couple of minutes.

I had a look at various settings with GS911 and the throttle position only reports 0% to 76%. Having looked at this forum there are various posts on reseting the TPS by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds then turning the ignition on and opening/closing the throttle to set the position, nothing has changed. Any idea what I am doing wrong and if the TPS would be the first item to look at?

Thanks for any advice.

the throttle position only reports 0% to 76% ???

if you feel around the back of the throttle body's (inboard side) you'll find the plastic quadrant the throttle cable pulls to open the butterflies - without squidging a finger - get down with a torch and check as you open the throttle.... with the grip held wide open these quadrants should be on the full throttle end stop - if you can open it further with your finger on either side - something is amiss with the cable set up and needs fixing

if that all opens and closes fully - do you have a PowerCommander fueling thing on the bike ? - this box of tricks can have its own interpretation of the TPS (throttle position switch - the black bit with three wires on the left throttle body). If you find a PowerCommander plug in a USB lead and go to tools and you'll find a set up of what it believes the TPS is doing and you can reset full open and full closed - AKA 0% and 100% throttle as the PowerCommander sees it

if neither of those are the issues - a new TPS might be a good idea aftermarket ones for >£50 - they appear to get odd and do strange stuff after 30k miles - no set up just plug and play - it was much older weird beard ones that have a setup...

in the diagnostic tool you may as well say to it 'reset idle stepper motors' and it'll wiggle little servo motors on the throttle bodies to find their reference for a sensible idle in a minute or so - then say done

Last edited:
As previously said there is no setup for the TPS. That was on the earlier models.
You could try and remove the TPS and move it through its ark and check that it goes from 0 to 100% It is just a 4.3 K ohm potentiometer.
Hella do a compatible one.
With the GS911 check that the air temperature sensor in the airbox is reading the right temperature.

if you do a search, there is a how to strip & clean the TPS, i had issues with my 2006, a quick strip & clean cured the TPS

As Mistacat says - Hella ones are available on ebay circa £40

Check the main coil sticks, they are well known for failing and intermitingly breaking down. Check by disconnecting the connection to the lower secondary coils on both sides and starting the bike and seeing if it runs on both main coils/plugs. It may not be the coils but the check only takes a minute and costs nothing .

Check the main coil sticks, they are well known for failing and intermitingly breaking down. Check by disconnecting the connection to the lower secondary coils on both sides and starting the bike and seeing if it runs on both main coils/plugs. It may not be the coils but the check only takes a minute and costs nothing .
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You were correct, one of the lower coil packs was causing the problem. When it is disconnected everything is fine.

Thank you.

a faulty coil stick can not make the TPS read 0 to 76% ?

a faulty coil stick can not make the TPS read 0 to 76% ?
I understand that and probably have two unrelated issues, but at least the tick over at start up is fixed. With the TPS reading I was looking at something to blame for the problem and fixated on the wrong thing.

Years ago when I owned a Hexhead GSA I had an issue with an intermittent TPS reading (most likely caused by internal wear to the unit).

I changed the OE one for a Hella item and all was sorted.

If I were you I would simply replace the damn thing, its only a wiper arm resistor and when they start failing its time to swap, if they fail totally its a walk home !

I also replaced all my coils with BERU items due to corrosion/delamination and a rough idle.

my TPS didn't meet the behaviour this says it should - I replaced it and it ran better everywhere below 5k rpm

metre at 200k ohms

fully clockwise
Pins - Std - mine
1 & 2 - 5.30 - 0.47
1 & 3 - 4.40 - 3.90
2 & 3 - 0.70 - 0.90

fully anti-clock
Pins
1 & 2 - 0.90 - 0.90
1 & 3 - 0.90 - 3.90
2 & 3 - 1.50 - 0.47

Back