390 Duke ECU Failure!

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, this just pissed me off! Thought I’d get my 390 out and go for a bimble whilst on holiday up in the Scottish highlands. Got the bike out ( 2017 bike with 1200 miles on it ) fired it up and pootled off to a garage 5 miles away to fill up with fuel. Did that, put the key in and it spun over a couple of times without firing then came up with a red ECU FAILURE! :mad:
Is this a common problem on these bikes? :nenau Anyone else had it happen and is there a fix for it? :nenau

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 126
Try disconnecting and re-connecting the battery?

I've never had a problem like this.

Sorry to hear you have especially on such a nice day.

Could be due to low battery voltage?

Nope. I’d been on it for 20 mins or so. It had been running / starting fine up until then. That voltage only went to that after it had failed to start.

Try disconnecting and re-connecting the battery?

I've never had a problem like this.

Sorry to hear you have especially on such a nice day.

Just tried that. Twice. :blast
Checked all the fuses too but they’re all ok. Not as if it’s an abused high mileage bike either. Only done 1200 miles in over 5 years and never seen a drop of rain either. I even ran it in correctly. :blast

Shame but I’ll NEVER trust it again.

One option discussed on the 390 site is disconnect the battery and leave off for 60 mins. Also the ECU has its own earth. Its under the tank right by the ecu box. Apparently loose earths can throw up these faults.

One option discussed on the 390 site is disconnect the battery and leave off for 60 mins. Also the ECU has its own earth. Its under the tank right by the ecu box. Apparently loose earths can throw up these faults.

Oh ok. I’ll have a look tomorrow. Thanks.

When I fitted my fuel X module I had to remove the coil. Even though the bike was only 8 months old and not had a wet ride the connection to the frame was rusty. So after 5 yrs you might have corrosion on one of the earths. You can see one of the earths up by the rhs of the fork brace, that might even be the ECU one.

Good luck with the investigation, its a bummer when stuff like this happens with modern bikes.

Well i got back home, got the 390 out, pressed the go button and yep, the fucker started straight away! :blast
Awesome. Went for a pootle round for about half an hour and it ran fine. :nenau
I think after 5 years and 1200 miles from new it’s time for its second service. :augie I’ll get them to check the ECU and any connections while it’s there.

In five years there may have been some software updates, I know when mine went in for 600 miles in July last year they were busy checking the computer to see what updates were needed. Hopefully they will clear the error code you had.

Back
Top Bottom