Basecamp maps detail

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I often review active logs in the internal storage on my Garmin.
As some of you know i have a Youtube channel and i like to go back to the actual route while editing the videos for locations and names of places.
2 problems i am having.

1, the map detail is very very basic, as you can see below i cant even see the road i was on
or see why i did a U-turn on this road, as there are no place names.
Is there a way to increase the level of detail?
BC.jpg
2, opening google maps and trying to find the location is very hard.
all i can see is that this road is the 6 taking me south of Mons, Belgium
is there a way to quickly move google maps to this location without manually finding it?

Thanks in advance.

It looks to me that you are seeing only the base map in BaseCamp.

Somewhere on your screen there will be a slider or something like that, allowing ‘More detail’. Find it and slide it.

As regards question two. Presumably you recall roughly where you were? Ask Google to take you from Mons to….. insert place where the number 6 road goes to. Something like this:

IMG_4692.png

PS You can always import the route and track into Google’s My Maps and / or MyRoute, which will display both, quite happily.

Last edited:
Yes click on your route in basecamp and create a waypoint. Click on the waypoint properties and copy the Lat/Long from basecamp. Open google maps copy the lat/long into the search bar and hit enter. It will take you to exactly that point on google maps.

Yes click on your route in basecamp and create a waypoint. Click on the waypoint properties and copy the Lat/Long from basecamp. Open google maps copy the lat/long into the search bar and hit enter. It will take you to exactly that point on google maps.
Yes that worked... nice 👍

PS You can always import the route and track into Google’s My Maps and / or MyRoute, which will display both, quite happily.

Sorry for the dumb question but how do i save a log file as a gpx or another file mymaps will read?

Last edited by a moderator:
From memory as I don’t have a pc open at the moment. For MRA highlight your track go to file export selection in basecamp export a gpx file to a location you can find to subsequently upload to MRA. For Google my maps follow the same process but chose KMZ/kml as the file extension for the basecamp export.

Ps if you have a Google earth on your pc and you save a kml/KMZ file if you click on it it will open it in Google earth. From there you can do lots of interesting stuff like fly the route.

Thanks guys, this helped a lot.

In Basecamp i don't think there is a way you can increase the detail on a log file.
i suppose its not its intended use.

But as long as i can send it into another software for the extra detail that's good enough for me.
and you cant get much more detail than google maps 👍

How Garmin track your every move even when not giving direction is brilliant, i do check logs regular.
when I'm out i find all sorts of roads by just wandering that i would never find again but for that feature.

Indeed, Google maps and Google’s My Maps are pretty powerful tools. Google is much derided in some quarters but they have made available much of the Earth’s surface for free. It’s as big a contribution to society as the printing press was.

Garmin’s ability to record accurate tracks is indeed good. Several apps can do it but a standalone GPS unit usually does it very reliably.

Last edited:
Indeed, Google maps and Google’s My Maps are pretty powerful tools. Google is much derided in some quarters but they have made available much of the Earth’s surface for free. It’s as big a contribution to society as the printing press was.

Garmin’s ability to record accurate tracks is indeed good. Several apps can do it but a standalone GPS unit usually does it very reliably.

Its funny you should say that.
the service is so good that I've been expecting it to be a subscription for ages.

there is even a google moon!

So i added some days from a recent trip from the log to mymaps and found out another thing...
the Garmin auto deletes logs after about 3 months :(

this link is my logs over several days
Route link

before that has sadly gone to the trashcan in the sky

Least i know now going forward to get them all off the Sat-Nav before they go, instead of leaving it months!

Back
Top Bottom