BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav vi

Loretta

Reaction score
The eagle eyed will notice that this is the near-identical title of a thread from 2022 which related to the Nav V, which I have just spent a good while reading from start to finish.
I have a similar problem with our Nav vi. Routes created from scratch on BC on our Mac transfer into the nav vi just fine, however, we have some GPX routes that have been created by someone else on BC that import fine into BC but which are a mess when transferred onto the nav vi; ie straight spiky routes with ludicrous distances and time estimations. The main difference I can see when viewed in BC is that the imported GPX files quote the time taken as 0.00 whereas the ones created ourselves have a quoted realistic time along with the distance.

Thanks to the Nav V thread, we have fixed the routes on the Nav vi by recalculating the route using curvy roads, then recalculating again using faster. The routes then snap-on to the right roads, as they are intended to be.

My question before we set off on the 2000 mile trip around France is; will this work? Has anyone else here successfully used this 'fix' in practice without the routes reverting to the '3 year old let loose with a sharpie' approach to route planning while on the move?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for fixing the GPX files in basecamp to make them transfer cleanly in the first place, I'm all ears!

TIA

For info, we are running BaseCamp 4.8.13 with City Navigator Europe NTU 2024.1. The Nav vi is on software 5.8, Express says it's all up to date. myMaps CN Europe NTU All South & North, basic 3D 2024.10 and Europe DEM. all ticked. All settings between BC and Nav vi aligned.

If the routes now display properly on the device and match those in BaseCamp, you should be good to go.

To sort the routes out in BaseCamp, try:

1. Make a copy of thr files, do you at least have the originals.

2. Change the settings to say, car or RV modes.

3. Recalculate

4. Do they look better

5. Change back to motorcycle mode

6. Recalculate

Does that work?

Failing that, trace over the routes (it doesn’t take long) to create a fresh version that way.

Failing that, try creating a track from a route. Then save the track and convert it into a route. Does that work?

Report back, please.

PS I’d get rid of the Nav VI whilst the going is still good.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
Good to hear we should be ok with the recalculate in the nav vi fix. At least that's something.
On my computer (MacBook Pro M1, Ventura 13.4.1( c ) any amount of recalculating or attempting to make a track crashes BC and throws up a page of "BaseCamp quit unexpectedly", and I get a list of code.
On my husband's computer (2015 MacBook Air, on Monterey 12.6.5) toggling between modes changes nothing. I can create a track, and a route from the track. The route doesn't have a total time field and doesn't suggest a time take in the dialogue box.
I need to see what happens when I try to put that onto the Nav vi. I think I'll leave that until we've returned from the trip having got the routes working on the Nav, I don't want to mess about with it. If you use a route created from a track, is there any difference in the navigational experience?
I imagine tracing the routes would work as our own routes seem ok.

Basecamp is pretty infuriating!! I looked up the fix for the crashing. Followed the instructions on the Garmin website. Reloaded Garmin. Re-imported the GPX files. 4/7 re-imported with times on them. I bet they'll go into the nav vi no problem. The other 3? 0.00 on the time. Grrr.
I probably just need to keep sneaking up on it.

I feel your pain with Basecamp it can be a very frustrating experience, i still get the straight lines when transferring to my Nav VI and then have to recalculate on the device to fix it.
However i dont get the straight lines on my Zumo 590 I believed they were very similar Garmin devices.

Have you tried reducing the length of the route? I recall having a similar problem and when I split my route it all worked okay. I also found that BC played better on my old iMac, with older software rather than the new MacBook Pro.

As with many route problems, it is sometimes very difficult to ascertain the cause of the problem, without seeing the routes.

Can you share the routes with us, please. If the files are large, host them on something like Dropbox. Alternatively, contact me for my email address, please.

Reading your opening post again, I am guessing that the third party routes were created in an earlier version of the map. Whilst your Mac can deal with this anomaly, your Nav VI cannot, hence the straight lines. I am assuming this only because the cause of most straight lines is either:

a. A misfit in the maps used.

b. A lack of data to fill gaps between any known and definite via points.

I am also guessing that the Nav VI’s forced recalculation of the route, realigns the route with the map and all is well.

Last edited:
Have you tried reducing the length of the route? I recall having a similar problem and when I split my route it all worked okay. I also found that BC played better on my old iMac, with older software rather than the new MacBook Pro.
Hi, yes, the route is split day by day so the longest route is sub 200 miles.

As with many route problems, it is sometimes very difficult to ascertain the cause of the problem, without seeing the routes.

Can you share the routes with us, please. If the files are large, host them on something like Dropbox. Alternatively, contact me for my email address, please.

Reading your opening post again, I am guessing that the third party routes were created in an earlier version of the map. Whilst your Mac can deal with this anomaly, your Nav VI cannot, hence the straight lines. I am assuming this only because the cause of most straight lines is either:

a. A misfit in the maps used.

b. A lack of data to fill gaps between any known and definite via points.

I am also guessing that the Nav VI’s forced recalculation of the route, realigns the route with the map and all is well.
Morning. The files aren't really mine to share as I've bought them commercially. I know the creator has used them successfully many times, so I think you're right; there is probably a mismatch between maps, versions etc. I'll let you know in a few weeks if we got lost, or had to wheel out the old school method of paper maps and highlighters with a list of directions on a post-it note!

OK, understood.

If you haven’t already, you could try saving the commercially bought routes in BaseCamp, not as a route but as a track. Then export the track to the Nav VI, asking the device to then make the conversion.

Failing that, ask the seller of the routes to sort it out :D

Enjoy your holiday and let us know how it goes, please.

The eagle eyed will notice that this is the near-identical title of a thread from 2022 which related to the Nav V, which I have just spent a good while reading from start to finish.
I have a similar problem with our Nav vi. Routes created from scratch on BC on our Mac transfer into the nav vi just fine, however, we have some GPX routes that have been created by someone else on BC that import fine into BC but which are a mess when transferred onto the nav vi; ie straight spiky routes with ludicrous distances and time estimations. The main difference I can see when viewed in BC is that the imported GPX files quote the time taken as 0.00 whereas the ones created ourselves have a quoted realistic time along with the distance.

Thanks to the Nav V thread, we have fixed the routes on the Nav vi by recalculating the route using curvy roads, then recalculating again using faster. The routes then snap-on to the right roads, as they are intended to be.

My question before we set off on the 2000 mile trip around France is; will this work? Has anyone else here successfully used this 'fix' in practice without the routes reverting to the '3 year old let loose with a sharpie' approach to route planning while on the move?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for fixing the GPX files in basecamp to make them transfer cleanly in the first place, I'm all ears!

TIA

For info, we are running BaseCamp 4.8.13 with City Navigator Europe NTU 2024.1. The Nav vi is on software 5.8, Express says it's all up to date. myMaps CN Europe NTU All South & North, basic 3D 2024.10 and Europe DEM. all ticked. All settings between BC and Nav vi aligned.

TIA

Did you ever work out how to do this consistently? I have the same problem for a trip to Spain. My mate is originating the routes using his Windows computer and BMW Navigator VI. He is sending me the gps 1.0 files and when I import them into Basecamp on to my Apple laptop I get a spiky route and some weird reroutes to go meet up with his (~25+) way points (and long days 7hrs+ when they should be 4-5hours).

I have solved the issue sometimes by deleting and starting again but often that doesn't work and it is pot luck. Did you discover any rhyme or reason to the solution. Or anyone out there?

I have tried doing what you did - recalculate wit Curvy roads and then again with Fastest route but the results are inconsistent. Sometimes it looks like it works and often it doesn't work at all. I have checked and I have the latest apple, basecamp and map versions.

Thanks
Nick

Trying to diagnose problems remotely without seeing the routes is incredibly hard, not least when you (carbonguy) did not create them in the first place.

One question:

Are yiu seeing these corrupt routes on your GPS device or in BaseCamp or both?

Might I suggest you share the files you received from your mate (not your version of them) with the forum? Someone can then load them into BaseCamp and hopefully work out where the problem lies.

Back
Top Bottom