Battery maintainer for diagnostics

Have you tried powering up the charger once the bike has powered up and stabilised? This should force the charger into full charge mode. This works on my Noco 2 charger, but the voltage is only maintained at around 12.2 volts, as it has a maximum output of 2 amps. My basic 5 amp Halfords charger shows just over 5 amps charge when connected to the slave battery, but I wouldn’t trust it directly onto the bike battery.

You also need decent jump leads and clips. I have some I made from scratch a few years ago, which have a good surface contact area on the croc clips. It also helps if you connect the slave battery a few minutes before powering the bike up. This allows the two to stabilise.
I leave my CTEK on all the time but I think once it detects a full battery it just tickles rather than ramps up.....

I'll try on the slave battery I think as that does struggle

But I think Wessie hit the nail on the head and I need a car battery

If you have a car battery, a good idea is to have it fully charged with the ctek, this will give it enough juice for the job.
Yeah the original BMW one from my bike (2019) I was using as a slave is clearly not up to the job (and highlights the reason why I changed it).

I must admit I have made all the tweaks I wanted to...well until they bring out another little feature on the next update.

I just absolutely hate running the engine without riding (use to hate doing it on my car as well)

Hey all

Just getting used to working with my new GS 911 and one thing that stands out, is how quickly the bikes battery drops when it is powered up, but not running (even with a new battery). As a number of the features of the GS 911 require the bikes battery to be above 12.5 volts, does anyone have a solution for maintaining battery voltage whilst it is powered up but not running? Optimate 3 will not do it.
I was thinking something like the Noco Genius 5 charger.

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark

We use some dumb Ctek chargers on all of our in house bikes as trickle chargers. The bikes that are worked on constantly have the 5A chargers on which keeps them topped up on all functionality.

Kind regards and safe travels

Back
Top Bottom