Billy Connolly - Portrait of a Lifetime

Wapping

Reaction score
Worth a watch on catch-up.

The humble but hugely funny Billy Connolly, celebrating three paintings, commissioned from three very different artists, for his 75th birthday.

i know nothing about Glagow but the Peoples Palace is on an ever growing list of places to see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0535lq5

Worth a watch on catch-up.

The humble but hugely funny Billy Connolly, celebrating three paintings, commissioned from three very different artists, for his 75th birthday.

i know nothing about Glagow but the Peoples Palace is on an ever growing list of places to see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0535lq5

I'm sure I saw that some time ago. Seems it was over 6 years ago - he was 81 last November

I watched it a good few years ago. Great comedian. My brother and I bought LPs of him many years ago. Laugh out loud funny to me.

I watched it a good few years ago. Great comedian. My brother and I bought LPs of him many years ago. Laugh out loud funny to me.

he was the only person that I witnessed bringing my late mother to tears of laughter

she was a big fan of Parkinson (he made a record 15 appearances from 1975-2007) but it was that initial Saturday night show in 1975 when I was 12-13 where he told the bicycle joke that made her a big fan of BC

she also enjoyed the thing where he was supposedly marooned in an arctic wasteland and the film he did as Queen Victoria's toyboy.

I'm sure I saw that some time ago. Seems it was over 6 years ago - he was 81 last November

Indeed it is a re-run but worth a watch as it is all but timeless. Nicely produced, interesting (not least to watch three very different but skilled artists put their interpretations as to how they see somebody who is very well known) all mixed in with some funny anecdotes from the Big Yin.

I hjave seen him live more times than I care to remember. Absolute genius of a man who is rib-achingly funny without necessarily telling jokes, just telling stories.
His biographies are excellent reads (or better still, listens as he narrates). The biography written by his wife (Pamela Stevenson) is also excellent, while being heart-breakingly sad at times. He has certainly lived a life. There will not be his like again, sadly.

As a young whippet, my older brother brought me along to a Billy Connolly gig here in Ireland many moons ago. My strongest memory is the stomach pain on the way home in the car from having laughed so much. Many years later, I went to see him in Dublin - he was physically a lot slower due to his condition, but mentally he was still sharp as a knife. BC is truly one of a kind with a real talent for story telling and spotting the more ludicrous of typical human behaviours. My favourite comedian by a long stretch.

Back
Top Bottom