Can't install latest maps 2024.1 on Nav 5 and MTP info

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old Nav 5 was working fine until I tried to install the latest Maps 2024.1 when garmin express complained there was not enough space, and add a minimum of 16gb sd card it said.
There was already a 16gb card in it so I reformatted it to FAT32 as required and tried again several times.
I have tried an 8bg card ( maps take up about 7.5gb) but no luck.

Anyone had any trouble loading 2024.1 onto a Nav5 please?.

Apart from it being a complete arse ache when the new maps arrive and take nearly a day to download them.

MTP reminder.
I just bought a Nav 6. That accepted the new big 2024.1 maps OK, just took a day, BUT....

Mapsource could not see the Nav6 to download my routes to it. I've had this problem before.

so .... If Mapsource cannot see your Nav 5 or 6
You need to change the MTP settings from Auto to Manual. They are not easy to find. There are 2 methods.

1. On the Startup page Showing "Where to" and "View map" Press the "Volume" button. Now press and hold the top right hand corner of the Master Volume screen for over 5 secs. This will get you to the Diagnostics page.
or
2. Go to the "View Map" page and press the 3 bars on the bottom right. Scroll down to the "Trip Computer" now Press and hold the "D" shaped thing showing speed -mh- for over 5 secs.
This will get you to the Diagnostics page.

On the Diagnostics page scroll down all the way to "MTP settings" Select it and then select "Mass Storage" The default seems to be "Auto detect" but this will not work with Mapsource.

Select "Save" that's it. Press the back button a few times to get you back to where you started.

Hope that helps others.. D

My old Nav 5 was working fine until I tried to install the latest Maps 2024.1 when garmin express complained there was not enough space, and add a minimum of 16gb sd card it said.
There was already a 16gb card in it so I reformatted it to FAT32 as required and tried again several times.
I have tried an 8bg card ( maps take up about 7.5gb) but no luck.

Anyone had any trouble loading 2024.1 onto a Nav5 please?.

Have you tried a fresh, brand new, straight out of the packet, SD card In the Nav V?

On the upload of a new map, I presume it automatically deletes the older version on the Nav V?

Have you tried a fresh, brand new, straight out of the packet, SD card In the Nav V?
Amazon is coming today with a new sd card, I'll let you know.... ;-}

and Garmin Express (the thing you use to squirt the new maps onto you computer or device) seems to delete them from the Sat nav but leaves them on the Computer under-
1. Program Data/Garmin/Maps/ CityNavigator etc. where it appears as a 7.1gb folder
and also
2. Program Data/Garmin/Coresevice/Downloads/Map where it appears as a 20gb folder.

Why the different sizes I do not know...

Brand new San Disk Extreme Pro UHS-1 U3 32gb speeds up to 100MB/sec installed
Nope
Memory not recognised or something like that...

.So..... ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE UPDATEDING THEIR NAV5 WITH 2024.1 MAPS PLEASE????

OK

That rules out that simple suggestion. I put it forward as I have found it worked for me in the past.

Let’s see what news comes in from others.

As an aside, I updated an older 590 unit with the 2024.20 maps yesterday with no problem. When I then tried to do the same to my Nav 6 it wouldn’t work. I realised I had forgotten the golden rule to always check for an update to Garmin Express before starting to download the new maps. After that it worked just fine.

You don’t have to wait for the next update. Garmin’s software will check to see if the maps are up-to-date. If you didn’t update last time, then Garmin shoujd pick-up that an update is available. You can fire away now.

Back
Top Bottom