Fuel pump failure

Odbodd2

Reaction score
I have just had my fuel pump fail. Any ideas how to remove the gauze filter from the bottom of the pump.
Also recommendations for a replacement please. Surely they aren't just used on the GS.

Try reading this thread:

I would recommend a QUANTUM replacement fuel pump kit, when I did mine I think I paid about £70

They are also available from ebay approx. £24 .
I had just over 40k miles out of the stock pump & change the ebay pumps every 30K miles as a service item.
The new pump from BMW is the best part of £500.00 but it includes the sealed for life filter, it is possible to drill through the filter and fit a remote GS1100 filter.
There are instructions on the forum.
The limiting factor with the pump is the brush life the stock pump has slightly longer brushes than the pattern pumps from ebay, have not cut a Quantum pump open so can`t comment on those.
The ebay pumps come with a selection of new gauze filters.

Recently purchased a 2005 1200GS w/48k on the odometer is reasonably good shape. When I took it to the dealer they informed me that it was due for 2 warranty repairs and proceeded to replace the rear wheel flange, the fuel pump and the fuel distributor...all at no cost. (Granted, they were still able to talk me into OTHER repairs, so I didn't get away quite so cheaply!)

Back
Top Bottom