Head bearings and warranty

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had the 12,000 mile service on my Himalayan today, just under 2 years old, the head bearings also needed changing, not part of the warranty now. Disappointed it's not covered but he 2 year warranty, but the failed stop LED rear light is... I had no idea I had no brake light, the rear lights work, just not the brake, oh well. The bearings were very rusty on the bottom yoke, think I'll have to implement the 'preventative fix' suggested in the REOC magazine, a short L section of aluminium to act as a shield - a shortened version of the Indian number plate if you like to deflect water channeled down the upper 'beak'

That's shocking, not covering head bearings under warranty, curious to know where this is stated, is it mentioned in the handbook of the latest bikes ? Enfield obviously know the item is poor quality and in many cases not greased well from new, taking no responsibility for it. The bearings on my Himalayan also required replacement outside warranty period so did not go there.

Last edited:
Are there other gems in the REOC magazine?

I think a lot of manufacturers consider bearings as a "wear and tear" part and don't include them in the warranty.
A bikermate's ZZR1400 required wheel bearings within the warranty, claim refused by Kawasaki UK, although the dealer Cradley Kawasaki offered free fitting as a good will gesture.
More recently, another bikermate's Ducati Scrambler 800 needed head bearings at a ridiculously low mileage/age. Not covered by warranty. Probably caused by the stupid little mudguard allowing all the road muck to be flung up the underside of the steering stem.
I decided not to bother BMW UK with a request for a goodwill gesture when my front wheel bearings needed replacing at 70k mikes:ROFLMAO:

12k miles probably isn’t too bad for cheap bearings but I’d be highlighting the lack of grease and asking them if the bad press generated by an owner whinging on the internet is worth the cost of a good will gesture.

Replaced the lower one at, hang on i'll check... 09/05/21 (2.5 years ish old) at 5600 miles, bottom one was well fooked, top one good to go, even used the old seal as it wasn't damaged. Rebuilt it using yachting grease.
10500 miles now including a good measure of off road abuse and still all good. There's bound to be the, "why wouldn't you replace both bearings and the seal" comment. my answer, because i didn't need to.
Oh yes, while i was at it, i took the opportunity to replace the fork oil so, good job all round.

Back
Top Bottom