Ignition component testing

ThreeDawg

Reaction score
So I've had a problem with my 97 1100GS conking out on my current trip.

I couldn't isolate the problem at first, as it could have been either really crappy fuel, extreme heat or extreme altitude or combinations of all three.

However, the bike stopped the other day (for a third time) at about 500m ASL and running fairly decent fuel but it was absolutely stinking hot in a town, so I guess it's heat.

When the bike cools it's fine, and running on the open road there have been no problems.

So, likely to be ignition component failure due to heat - HES or coils I'm thinking. It wants to start, a bit like if you unseat one of the throttle cables, but it won't run.

My question is, how do I stress test these components? Simply replacing them is expensive so I'd rather avoid doing that to major components

The HES has been rewired, plugs are pretty new, caps and leads replaced within the last two years IIRC.

Last edited:
Could it be that one of your cylinders is ‘nipping up’ and partially seizing ?

Have you inspected the coils?

I know that on an airhead showing similar symptoms the issue can be a cracked coil and if you look VERY carefully you can sometimes just see, or feel, a hairline crack.

Not sure whether it's the same for oilheads, but an inspection might be worthwhile.

No coils on a 1100 gs check your sidestand wiring maybe might be touching the engine follow it up into the bike frame maybe a small break in wiring.

Have you inspected the coils?

I know that on an airhead showing similar symptoms the issue can be a cracked coil and if you look VERY carefully you can sometimes just see, or feel, a hairline crack.

Not sure whether it's the same for oilheads, but an inspection might be worthwhile.
A physical check makes sense

No coils on a 1100 gs check your sidestand wiring maybe might be touching the engine follow it up into the bike frame maybe a small break in wiring.
Hmm, think my bike (1100) has coils. Maybe 1150 has coil sticks?

No issues unless bike/environment is stinking hot, which is why I'm thinking HES or coils, but for sure the side stand switch wiring needs checking, although I did renew the covering with fibreglass sheathing a while back.

Also wriggle the wiring with bike running👍
That is definitely something I can do. Off to Cartagena on the Colombian Caribbean coast tomorrow, forecast is for 35 degrees in the shade - hope we make it!

1100s and early 1150s have a pair of coils under the tank, attached to the frame. Later 1150s went to coil sticks.

Hmm, well left Cartagena this morning - was about 30 degrees and massive humidity.

Temp guage got right up to the red line, but the bike kept running. The only difference was I had a tank full of 'Extra' which is the higher octane stuff - 98ish, whereas the other times it has been the standard 'Coriente' piss or worse.
The bike pinks like mad on Coriente, but not at all on Extra.

I thought the Motronic adjusted for poor fuel, but maybe not with the John Gemi chip.

Anyway, perhaps it was the fuel, but I will check the ignition components when I get back and make sure I'm running Extra when I get to Bogota in a week or so.

Last edited:
I thought the Motronic adjusted for poor fuel, but maybe not with the John Gemi chip.
I suspect the reality is that the standard ignition and fuel maps are sufficiently conservative that they allow the bike to cope with lower quality fuel within European norms. And I think there's a CCP setting to switch to a more conservative map when the quality is even worse? It's not detected automatically. John Gemi's chips trade some of the factory conservative margin for improved performance via altered ignition timing (in addition to altered fuel maps) - you never get anything for nothing! I have one of John's chips fitted and it makes a huge improvement but I always use 98 octane fuel. If I was doing a trip of the sort you're on, with variable fuel quality expected, I would revert to the standard Motronic chip to regain that safety margin. I'm not aware that John's chips offer a 'poor quality fuel' option via the CCP.

Makes sense. In hindsight I should have changed the chip, although it was fine in 40 degrees temps in Namibia in 2021, but maybe the fuel is better there and I was not often hacking through towns or cities.

Unfortunately all I could get was Corriente here in Mompox, so I'll have to watch out for pinking until I can get some of the food stuff.

Got it stinking hot again going though another city here a couple of days ago, air temp probably mid 30s, but with 98 octane in the tank and all was fine even with the guage just below the red. Guess it really was the fuel all along.

Off to Bogota on Sunday to fly us and the bike home to Scotland, where excessive temperature seldom is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom