Jumping ship.

Beemer6

Reaction score
Hi all. As the title suggests, I am thinking of jumping ship from a Goldwing to a GS. I have had boxers before (RT's,) going as far back as the aircooled ones of the 1980's then later 1100 and 1150RT's. Moved to the 4 cylinder BMW'S (bricks) and then shimmied over to Honda (ST1300 and then a couple of Goldwings). I currently have a 2020 1800. The Wing is great and was bought for 2 up tours around europe etc. However, the wife is now not enjoying the longer mileage trips like she used to which gives me the opportunity to move to something more agile. Always fancied a GS but never had one (and yes, I know the GS is very capable on big mileage trips). This may soon change. So, I shall be stalking this site to get as much info as possible prior to a final decision. Looks like good information and advice can be found here.

Beemer6 - welcome!

You'll quickly find that there's no shortage of (often contradictory) opinions, but almost all are made in the spirit of fellowship I have found.

A new chapter in your experience awaits...

Have a look at this thread for more info on reliability and warranty claims

Teapotone has just done a youtube vid on his ownership too which you might find useful

Have a look at this thread for more info on reliability and warranty claims

Teapotone has just done a youtube vid on his ownership too which you might find useful

Thanks for the links. I was hoping for this kind of info. Interesting survey too. I know all bikes can have issues.

My Goldwing is on its third battery in 3 years (2 Yuasa's and now a Motobatt which seems to be holding up). It also had paint coming off the cylinder heads and a warped rear disc, none of which Honda would cover under warranty. Honda (and its dealers) can be a nightmare to deal with and these issues were quite costly to rectify. The bike however, is very good and I am aware of other Wings with different issues.

I had a couple of K1600's with issues (corrosion on centre stand, gearbox oil leak, screen mechanism falling apart, switchgear failure etc and BMW fixed both bikes under warranty. I think a lot is down to the dealer so the challenge is to find the best one (not necessarily the closest). What does impress though is that everyone who complains about the GS usually goes on to say what a fantastic bike to ride it is.

Teapot one's youtube video was interesting and encouraging. Just watched a video about the new 1300. I like the looks of it even though the tech looks to be getting a little out of hand. Solutions to problems that people didn't know they had!

StIll interested though. The crunch will come when the exchange price is revealed😬.

I bought a 1200 GS LC new in 2016, it had the cams replaced after about a year, the dealer mechanic said they sounded a bit rough so he had a look and ordered some as the finish was bad
About a year later they swapped the timing gear and it’s axle assembly on the left cylinder as that had now become noisy, just outside warranty but they did it with no fuss
It’s not been unreliable in the sense that it’s never failed to start or run, but yes it’s needed warranty work

I’ve had at least 5 Hondas and never had a problem with any of them, however I have heard it said often that if you do have a warranty problem with Honda you’re in for a fight if you want it fixed

I almost traded my GS for a Goldwing in 2021 but decided it wasn’t for us after borrowing one for 4 days, there’s a post somewhere on here with my impressions

I’ve just tested and ordered a new R1300GS, after looking at the usual suspects I’ve decided it’s still the best bike for me/us, I have however paid 280 euros to extend the guarantee to 5 years, deduce what you will from that :nod

Are the GS's unreliable?
I had 3 over 13 years without being left stranded.
Of all the bikes I ever owned over 40 years, the only time I walked home (other than a crash) was on a Honda 400N when the rear wheel collapsed.

I bought a 1200 GS LC new in 2016, it had the cams replaced after about a year, the dealer mechanic said they sounded a bit rough so he had a look and ordered some as the finish was bad
About a year later they swapped the timing gear and it’s axle assembly on the left cylinder as that had now become noisy, just outside warranty but they did it with no fuss
It’s not been unreliable in the sense that it’s never failed to start or run, but yes it’s needed warranty work

I’ve had at least 5 Hondas and never had a problem with any of them, however I have heard it said often that if you do have a warranty problem with Honda you’re in for a fight if you want it fixed

I almost traded my GS for a Goldwing in 2021 but decided it wasn’t for us after borrowing one for 4 days, there’s a post somewhere on here with my impressions

I’ve just tested and ordered a new R1300GS, after looking at the usual suspects I’ve decided it’s still the best bike for me/us, I have however paid 280 euros to extend the guarantee to 5 years, deduce what you will from that :nod

Yes, even the warranty on a two year old Honda Goldwing value say £23000 is only 3 months and I doubt it covers much whereas BMW warranty them as approved bikes for two years. That's one of the things attracting me back to BMW.

I've just watched a couple of vids on the 1300. I certainly like the looks of it. I think at 280 euro the extended warranty is well worth having to have 5 years peace of mind. And if it's a similar price here, something I would buy.

I'm sure you will have a ball on the new bike and with a bit of luck you may see me on one shortly.

Reactions: bod
BMW warranty is the best in the business.
In warranty, out of warranty, good will gestures, safety recall upgrades, ... I was always impressed with the dealer backup.

KTM dealer service has brought me back to earth with a bump.

Hi all. As the title suggests, I am thinking of jumping ship from a Goldwing to a GS. I have had boxers before (RT's,) going as far back as the aircooled ones of the 1980's then later 1100 and 1150RT's. Moved to the 4 cylinder BMW'S (bricks) and then shimmied over to Honda (ST1300 and then a couple of Goldwings). I currently have a 2020 1800. The Wing is great and was bought for 2 up tours around europe etc. However, the wife is now not enjoying the longer mileage trips like she used to which gives me the opportunity to move to something more agile. Always fancied a GS but never had one (and yes, I know the GS is very capable on big mileage trips). This may soon change. So, I shall be stalking this site to get as much info as possible prior to a final decision. Looks like good information and advice can be found here.
As someone who just returned to the GS, can I just say https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/i-had-forgotten.374284/

Are the GS's unreliable?
No.
On my third plus one s1000r
Literally zero problems in a combined 70k.
unlike Ducati and KTM…
On tours, it has usually been Ducati, then Hondas that have been problems for others. Nearly always electrics. Regulator/rectifier, battery…battery connections.
You would be very unlucky.

No.
unlike Ducati and KTM…
On tours, it has usually been Ducati, then Hondas that have been problems for others. Nearly always electrics. Regulator/rectifier, battery…battery connections.
Thanks. Good to know.

No.
unlike Ducati and KTM…
I must have one of those ultra reliable KTM's...:thumb2

I must have one of those ultra reliable KTM's...:thumb2
Some are. Mine only had issues with false neutrals (of which there were many between 3rd and sixth!) ..mixed feedback from people I know who have owned them, with most issues electrical.

Back
Top Bottom