K1200RS ABS2 fault

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my new to me K1200RS has an ABS fault that I was unaware of when I bought it - discovered by a GS911 scan. Both ABS warning light bulbs were missing.

The fault code is for the front wheel sensor, but having swapped front & rear at the plugs, the rear stays free of fault codes but the front still shows faulty. The resistance of both front and rear ABS sensors is identical - 130 ohms.

I've done the pin 21 reset (someone has definitely been here before, as pin 21 has been extended from the ABS ECU plug) the reset works but ignition off and on again & the front sensor fault is back.
I've measured voltages at both front and rear sensor connectors and they are identical.

Any ideas before I condemn the ABS controller ?

TIA
John

I suspect you will find an issue on the ABS control board OR has someone swapped the ABS unit already and it is not the correct type

IF I recall correctly K and R series ABS units have some differences internally and can't be swapped Our friend Mr Maniak in France finally listened to what he was being asked and it turned out all his issues were because of an incorrect ABS unit

I suspect you will find an issue on the ABS control board OR has someone swapped the ABS unit already and it is not the correct type

IF I recall correctly K and R series ABS units have some differences internally and can't be swapped Our friend Mr Maniak in France finally listened to what he was being asked and it turned out all his issues were because of an incorrect ABS unit
I successfully used an R series ABS module on a K series but I had to swap over the electronic controller from the failed K series ABS onto the replacement R series one and all worked OK

I assume you have checked the wiring harness going to the front sensor just in case you have a break ?

I successfully used an R series ABS module on a K series but I had to swap over the electronic controller from the failed K series ABS onto the replacement R series one and all worked OK

I assume you have checked the wiring harness going to the front sensor just in case you have a break ?
Yup that's what I meant. The main electro hydraulic mechanicals are the same but the Electronic control bits won't swap over

OK, so I've bought a used K1200RS ABS2 hydro unit from a breaker with 6 months warranty. It seems to have
fixed the original issue as I have been able to clear the fault code for the front ABS sensor. However, I now have
a different fault code - plunger fault code 13.
I can't seen to use any of the test functions on the GS911; I can only read and delete the fault codes. No option I can see to actuate the ABS pump via GS911.
I'm assuming this is because the K1200RS (1999 model) is not CANBUS ? Have I got that right ?
TIA
John

Yes John, I checked the resistance of the front wheel sensor right the way back to the connector on the ABS module.

More a case of the diagnostics were still being developed

and bilateral connection was not a thing

It was just read a code and clear a fault

OK, so I've bought a used K1200RS ABS2 hydro unit from a breaker with 6 months warranty. It seems to have
fixed the original issue as I have been able to clear the fault code for the front ABS sensor. However, I now have
a different fault code - plunger fault code 13.
I can't seen to use any of the test functions on the GS911; I can only read and delete the fault codes. No option I can see to actuate the ABS pump via GS911.
I'm assuming this is because the K1200RS (1999 model) is not CANBUS ? Have I got that right ?
TIA
John
I've had success removing the plungers and cleaning and re-installing them as they stick if there is any corrosion on them . Only issue it will invalidate your 6 month warranty so you might be better jusr sending it back for a replacement . As Jay has said there is no option on these older K bikes to activate the pump via a gs-911

I've had success removing the plungers and cleaning and re-installing them as they stick if there is any corrosion on them . Only issue it will invalidate your 6 month warranty so you might be better jusr sending it back for a replacement . As Jay has said there is no option on these older K bikes to activate the pump via a gs-911
Thanks John, it's working now. Not sure ref the plunger fault but I did a manual reset (pin 21) held it on for 8 secs & all working again.
I did read that the old type USB GS911 sometimes does not reset the ABS fault codes properly.
So since buying the bike last months, I've fitted 2 bulbs in the ABS warning lamp, fitted a used ABS warning light relay (blue relay)
and the used hydro unit from James Sherlock & that's fixed it.

Thanks to Jay and you for the help.
John

Back
Top Bottom