Keis Or Gerbing?

Started with a Gerbing jacket but the controller failed after a period. Despite a ‘lifetime’ warranty Gerbing refused to replace it but gave me £10 off a new one. This subsequently failed too…

I then bought a Keis jacket, 6 or 7 years ago, which i still have. The only issue I had was the power lead from the bike failed. It appears one of the cables is broken at the end of the jack plug, probably a result of regular movement / flexing as I connected the jacket up. If you wiggle it around it will work temporarily. I may get around to trying to repair it someday. I had replacement power leads, as I’d planned to fit these to my other bikes but that’s still ‘on the list’, so fitted one of those & have been toasty ever since

I wear the jacket over a base layer & under the bike jacket but with the liner removed. I’d wear the jacket most of the year but, unless it’s really cold, it wouldn’t be plugged in so just acts like an additional layer

Started with a Gerbing jacket but the controller failed after a period. Despite a ‘lifetime’ warranty Gerbing refused to replace it but gave me £10 off a new one. This subsequently failed too…

I then bought a Keis jacket, 6 or 7 years ago, which i still have. The only issue I had was the power lead from the bike failed. It appears one of the cables is broken at the end of the jack plug, probably a result of regular movement / flexing as I connected the jacket up. If you wiggle it around it will work temporarily. I may get around to trying to repair it someday. I had replacement power leads, as I’d planned to fit these to my other bikes but that’s still ‘on the list’, so fitted one of those & have been toasty ever since

I wear the jacket over a base layer & under the bike jacket but with the liner removed. I’d wear the jacket most of the year but, unless it’s really cold, it wouldn’t be plugged in so just acts like an additional layer
Gerbing controllers do not have a lifetime warranty. The micro wiring does, but controllers, plugs etc have a 1 year warranty. Read the warranty blurb. I have had Gerbing kit since 2017, various upgrades etc. The only failure was the heating in a glove, which was replaced free after 7 years of use.

I have Gerbing heated gloves that I have had for over 10 years they have had a lot of use and are still working superbly

Gerbing controllers do not have a lifetime warranty
Well wouldn’t you think that Gerbing, who I was dealing with rather than a retailer, might have mentioned that as I stood in front of them with my fcuked controller :blast

Well wouldn’t you think that Gerbing, who I was dealing with rather than a retailer, might have mentioned that as I stood in front of them with my fcuked controller :blast
Google is your friend, it's on their website in warranty conditions. Although it now seems controllers are 3 years.

General One-Year Warranty​

All other [non-electrical] components of the garment are warranted to be free from factory defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of the initial purchase.

3-year Warranty on Temp Controllers, accessories & connector plugs

Gerbing's Temp Controllers and electrical components, accessories and the connector plugs on each garment, are warrantied against factory defect for three years from the date of the initial purchase. Any alteration of the product voids the warranty.

Still doesn’t explain why the gobshites couldn’t tell me that
And the controller wasn’t 3 years old at that stage

Anyway, they ultimately did me a favour as i much prefer the Keis with it’s much thinner ‘cabling’ in the jacket

I’ve still got a pair of Keis insoles somewhere and the reason I stopped using them is that on a long ride it felt as if the soles of my feet were burning.

I’ve still got a pair of Keis insoles somewhere and the reason I stopped using them is that on a long ride it felt as if the soles of my feet were burning.

did you have a controller? I use them with the controller on the lowest setting. The resistance of the element alone allows too much current at 12V.

Well i went out this morning and used the full Keis kit, it wasn't freezing although with the high wind and heavy rain it certainly wasn't cosy!
and learned a couple of things.

As soon as i connected my gear to the bike my legs started getting hot..... a good thing you might think?
i was confused as i hadn't even turned the controller on yet?
After a short ride i realised the Jacket wasn't warming up?

I pulled over and set the controller to medium... legs on fire and now jacket warming up nicely, checked gloves they work well.

I now realise the full kit needs 2 controllers, one on the pants that also controls socks and another for the jacket (gloves have their own buttons)
which is fine now that i know but...

Flying through twisty bends with bulky winter gloves trying to faff with one controller is bad enough but two? (they both hang together on the left side)
bit disappointed to be honest.
I checked the website and they do a bluetooth one, because apparently fucking around with your phone in the twisties is a better idea 🙄
Since i need to use my fingerprint to enter my phone thats a big no on the move anyway

Either way i need to buy one because pants and socks on full blast isn't pleasant 🤣

I now realise the full kit needs 2 controllers, one on the pants that also controls socks and another for the jacket (gloves have their own buttons)
which is fine now that i know but...

That’s correct.

It’s too late now but you should perhaps have gone with the Warm’n’Safe kit, whose remote twin controllers, I can operate with lobster claw gloves, let alone five fingered gloves.

That being said, once set, how often do you need to fiddle with the settings, whilst you hoon awesomely through the twisties?

That being said, once set, how often do you need to fiddle with the settings, whilst you hoon awesomely through the twisties?

True, i'm probably overthinking it.... although i do need another controller lol

choice pretty simple when you think again it 🤣
If its feckin freezing when you climb on the bike turn it on full, if its 5c put on low to be cosy.
Ride off and forget about it 👍

True, i'm probably overthinking it.... although i do need another controller lol

choice pretty simple when you think again it 🤣
If its feckin freezing when you climb on the bike turn it on full, if its 5c put on low to be cosy.
Ride off and forget about it 👍
I'm pretty sure I've got a spare Keis controller in a box of bits somewhere. I'll have a look and if I find it you can have it for the postage.

If the Keis gear operates the same way as the Warm’n’Safe it will default to a ‘gentle’ heat if the controller fails. This is probably what you felt through the trousers, before you turned the wick up.

Why it was heating the trousers in the ‘gentle’ mode, I have no idea. If I had to guess, it’s the way you have wired the ensemble together.

On my set up, I have:

A. Jacket and electric glove liners, powered by the bike and controlled wirelessly from a dual controller, which will adjust the jacket separately from the glove liners.

B. Trousers and socks, powered by the bike but separately from the jacket and glove liners. These are controlled from a separate wireless dual controller.

Four items, two separate power suppliers, two separate controllers, four individual controlls.

I just got the new Keis body warmer. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/912527

It is okay and works well but is slightly strange material and fit so unsuitable to wear to the pub etc.
I'm not sure thats what its designed for 🤣

i own the premium jacket which i have to say is a nice material you could wear to the pub.... if you wanted too 😁

I actually wore it Saturday night to walk round to my mates for a few drinks and chat, the main reason was i wanted to try his 2XL Klim Carlsbad jacket over it, to see the fit before i ordered one.
But have to say, even without power its warm 👍

I'm not sure thats what its designed for 🤣

i own the premium jacket which i have to say is a nice material you could wear to the pub.... if you wanted too 😁

I actually wore it Saturday night to walk round to my mates for a few drinks and chat, the main reason was i wanted to try his 2XL Klim Carlsbad jacket over it, to see the fit before i ordered one.
But have to say, even without power its warm 👍

It would just about fit under my Carlsbad jacket which is an XL but it made the gloves a faff so I swapped it for the body warmer.

I have to confess to a bout of stupidity. All packed up and ready to drop off at a DPD pickup location when it suddenly occurred to me that the wiring loom was still on my GS!

Back
Top Bottom