Lightening up

monoi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

In preparation for sandraiders, and because I can't leave it alone, I wanted the bike to lose some weight. I’ve removed side and central stands and replaced with migsel side stand. There is a slight interference with the exhaust but we’re going to grind the bracket. I also cut the rear subframe and installed a single seat with a rack. The rear silencer will be replaced by a delkevic silencer and I’m having an adapter tube made. The rear mudguard is now acerbis, and I’ve made led lights for light, brake and indicators. I removed the front indicators and replaced with led ones. The mirrors are now double take mirrors so they won’t break in fall like last time. There are few more details.

I quite like the look, although a bit short arsey.IMG_7376.jpegbut I can’t say it feels much lighter!

I also bought a rear subframe where all the original bits are fitted so it is a simple swap to go back to original.

IMG_7379.jpegIMG_7378.jpeg

Easiest way to lose weight…. Smaller tank, no bull bars on front, single small front light…. delete rev counter,
then add Barkbusters or similar to protect levers in a drop…

Lithium battery (Bosch, Shido etc) shaves about 5kg... 51913 fits std battery tray perfectly and leaves room for toolkit. Ideally used with a modern reg/rectifier.

Sorry to be negative but it’s always going to be a heavy old tank with old fashioned off road handling. I like riding my 100GS off road but hate it in sand.

I was a bit tongue in cheek! I know this won't make much of a difference, a tank it is, a tank it will stay :)

That said, the tank part made it probably the only bike which did not need any mechanical repair the whole trip...

I've changed to a lithium battery a year ago as that was easy.

I have the barkbusters but I have not installed because I'm not sure whether the throttle end is strong enough: is the bar end the same on either side,. ie metal?

Back
Top Bottom