Long 5th for r1100gs

patnorth

Reaction score
Hi there - as you know, the 1100gs is pretty much perfect 😁 but for those stints on the open road a 5th gear with a few more teeth would just be the bees knees.
So here's my question for all the tech wizards - is there any aftermarket gears somewhere to be had, does someone know someone?
The ol' r100 had an aftermarket option but so far I haven't come across one for the oilhead.
.... and no, I don't want to change the final drive, that'll change ALL the gears. And the 1150 gearbox doesn't fit - or do you know how to make fit?

If a Moderator could move this to the Oilhead Section, you may get a better response.

I think either Mikeyboy or Steptoe would be able to offer advice on this subject, (as well as many others).

Welcome to the forum.

Hi there - as you know, the 1100gs is pretty much perfect �� but for those stints on the open road a 5th gear with a few more teeth would just be the bees knees.
So here's my question for all the tech wizards - is there any aftermarket gears somewhere to be had, does someone know someone?
The ol' r100 had an aftermarket option but so far I haven't come across one for the oilhead.
.... and no, I don't want to change the final drive, that'll change ALL the gears. And the 1150 gearbox doesn't fit - or do you know how to make fit?

Afaik there is no higher 5th gear,
An 1150 box could be fitted but you’d need an 1150 subframe as well,plus hydraulic clutch actuation
I’ve never tried it ,mebbs steptoe has
Edit,you’d maybe need footrest hangers etc

Final Drive change to one of higher ratio is about the only way to change the gearing on the 1100 Or taller tyres

Final Drive change to one of higher ratio is about the only way to change the gearing on the 1100 Or taller tyres

Mikeyboy did that for mine, allround a nicer bike for on road use IMHO. Time consuming and expensive job though.

I kept the FD casing and changed the gears inside which meant new bearings etc. With hindsight I expect it would have saved quite a bit to change the entire FD assembly as one and fiddle about getting the ABS and brakes to work using bits from other models

I put an 1100 final drive unit on my 1150 no probs at all.

Back
Top Bottom