M8 motor rear cylinder cut-out

GSite

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
When idling in a traffic queue in the hot weather yesterday, my Sport Glide M8 engine became lumpy then recovered once moving. Just wondered if like my last HD, the rear cylinder default on the M8 is to cut out when at risk of overheating and if it seems to clunk when changing over. On previous Harleys this switch over was far smoother, but the change back to both cylinders is smooth. Just wondered if they all do that Sir or if that cluncking on switch over is unusual.

Cheers

I understood the M8 EITMS deactivation occurs far more frequently than with previous models, the idea being to keep heat under control early rather than see it build first. Seems this can be disabled, but you would need to check your manual for the procedure; this gives you the general idea: -

If you can identify a clunk, I guess it could be coming from the primary compensator/tensioner. However, a clunk suggests slack in the primary, which is at odds with the most common complaint, the tensioner, which apparently can wind itself up excessively on the over-run.

Thanks, food for thought.
The bike has done 500 miles, so any suspicion of slack in the primary would need investigation at first service.

Hi All,
When idling in a traffic queue in the hot weather yesterday, my Sport Glide M8 engine became lumpy then recovered once moving. Just wondered if like my last HD, the rear cylinder default on the M8 is to cut out when at risk of overheating and if it seems to clunk when changing over. On previous Harleys this switch over was far smoother, but the change back to both cylinders is smooth. Just wondered if they all do that Sir or if that cluncking on switch over is unusual.

Cheers
As I understand it, it is activated by holding the throttle closed and then a bit more, i.e. forcing the throttle against the stop. Therefore it is either activated or not when the engine is idling. When activated on the M8, any increase in engine revs , for example as you open the throttle to pull away from say traffic lights, it reverts to working on both cylinders.

Ah, good to know, did know that holding throttle past closed activates the feature.
Mine must have got properly hot to activate automatically as I don't recall holding throttle in this position.
Any thoughts on the clunkiness of changeover or is the concencus as squibb34 says ?

On sport glide you can set this to come on , or not.
youtube is your friend …..

Back
Top Bottom