Nationwide Flex insurance

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, we let our annual M&S policy lapse. It did cover bikes and had no exclusions on it that would prohibit riding trails, but the price had gone up from about £250 for the two of us to £400.

So I’m now looking at Nationwide, not least as it’s the last bank left in my local town.

I can’t find a recent thread so for anyone that has a flex plus account, can you tell me if it has any exclusions for bikes please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We started using it this year. Looks good for bikes as far as I can remember. I'm going to let my other insurance lapse on the strength of it.

Can't remember the details, but I was happy enough that I'd be covered when I was reviewing it all.

It says resticted to 125cc and you must wear a helmet and have a licence in the policy details below but that might just be for hiring bikes. There's a contact number for new or existing customers so might be worth giving them a ring

just check the additional premium for cover for pre-existing medical conditions. For me, it is cheaper to buy a standalone policy from Tesco (underwritten by Axa) than pay the top up for Nationwide.

125cc limit if you hire bike whilst on holiday.
If you set off from the UK on a motorcycle holiday/trip have and wear protective equipment and have a suitable license for your trusted stead.
There is no 125Cc limits.
No maximum bike size quoted.

just check the additional premium for cover for pre-existing medical conditions. For me, it is cheaper to buy a standalone policy from Tesco (underwritten by Axa) than pay the top up for Nationwide.

Luckily, I don’t have any pre existing conditions

125cc limit if you hire bike whilst on holiday.
If you set off from the UK on a motorcycle holiday/trip have and wear protective equipment and have a suitable license for your trusted stead.
There is no 125Cc limits.
No maximum bike size quoted.

Thanks!

Although, protective equipment- does that just mean a helmet?

Although, protective equipment- does that just mean a helmet?

there is no definition of this in the policy so as long as you are compliant with the law, then they cannot complain

I had a breakdown on bike and called their rescue line. On the one hand, it was sub-contracted out to a local bike recovery man as they do not have their own fleet. On the other hand, service was excellent and the bloke who turned up to help did so in a reasonable amount of time and got the bike going again. Have also used them a couple of times for broken down car; again, service was excellent.

Changes afoot for the Flexplus policy with a new underwriter in April 2024. Details here https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/travel-insurance-changes/
I have looked through the PDF. Aviva is the new underwriter and the motorcycle clauses are the same for your own bike i.e. have a full licence (generic comment about all vehicles), wear a helmet and comply with any local laws re. other safety gear.

Thanks, Wessie.

Don’t injure or kill yourself, when travelling in excess of the posted speed limit.

Riding ‘At a speed appropriate, in my opinion’ is not an adequate defence.

Flexplus recovery breakdown is now covered by the AA.

I have the Co-op equivalent bank account which I chose because the RAC cover seemed a slightly better. Might be worth a look?

Changes afoot for the Flexplus policy with a new underwriter in April 2024. Details here https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/travel-insurance-changes/
I have looked through the PDF. Aviva is the new underwriter and the motorcycle clauses are the same for your own bike i.e. have a full licence (generic comment about all vehicles), wear a helmet and comply with any local laws re. other safety gear.
no mention of whether it’s your own or a hire bike, or engine size so it looks like the restriction on hire bikes on the previous cover is gone.

Back
Top Bottom