Northern Spain

Kristina

Reaction score
Just wanted to say...

I'm so excited:JB ...I just can't hide it:JB... but I hope I don't loose control and plummet down a cliff in the Pyrenees...

Off to Bilbao (2nights), up near Torla in the Spains Pyrenees (5 nights) and then back through France (4 nights) for a hoot on Das Wasp...

If this is the right spot to post some stories and or photos, you'll see a few pics when we get back. It's just a short run, and I know you've probably all done the Pyrenees before, but us Aussies are pretty excited to see some proper hills soon.

Adios amigos!

cool

Was up those hills:) last year,gonna go for a proper look in July...enjoy your Trip K......hang loose......:Motomartin

Nothern Spain

Hi Kristina,

I trust you had a good time earlier this year, would love to see the photos and know of any particular roads you thought worth using in Northern Spain. I am heading down that there on my way to La Manga, (Murcia region) in about a weeks time, once I have managed to collect my bike from the previous owner.

Would be good to know of your stories.

Cheers

Mark

I trust you had a good time earlier this year, would love to see the photos and know of any particular roads you thought worth using in Northern Spain. I am heading down that there on my way to La Manga, (Murcia region) in about a weeks time, once I have managed to collect my bike from the previous owner.

Would be good to know of your stories.

Hey there,

All I can say is that if you head for the hills (serious mountains as far as I am concerned) you can't go wrong. I have been a bit weird in that I have found it hard to articulate how amazing Spain was so haven't written and am only starting to get my thoughts organised into some sort of diary.

We stayed away from typical hot spots for UK tourists and stuck to places where only Spanish was spoken - we stay in a dairy village called Fragen near the Ordesa National Pk - any road around here is AWESOME. We came up on the N240 and N260 but the road from San Sebastian to Pamplona the A15 was pretty cool too... but it's just amazing up in the pyrenees all through out.

We were based in Fragen for 5 days and biked out each day - the road between Anso and Hecho is freaking amazing - no one on it, brand new, sweepers the whole way (go mid week - no the wkend... it gets really busy with tourists then - but we didn't see a single vehicle) - the best rd for hooning along like a mad thing. But wait there's more... from Anso travel nth past Zuriza to the spanish/french border for a coffee, then turn around and go sth back past Anso to Binies... you'll pass through the most diverse and incredible landscapes - from fir forests and rocky mountainous landscape to deep canyons where the rd is built over the the river on some corners just so it can squeeze through the rock faces....

But we also went to Ainsa - main highway that follows the river and through some beautiful landscape (great pizza shop over the right hand side bridge as you head sth) , then back along a 'pathway' the A1604. We really like doing tiny little back rds where you have to dodge rock falls and cows and there's hairpin after hairpin...

AS136 is gorgeous and takes you into France - you might want to come that way from France if you're going that way - though at that time of year snow could prevent going through....there was plenty of snow about in June right up at the highest point.

Ok... so away from that area - the mountainous coastal rd from Bilbao/Lekietio to San Sebastian is to die for too - BI3438

But don't be fooled!! If you like to stop to take photos or take in the sights there's so much that these rds seem to take a very long time to travel... It says about 65km and about 1hr to do this but we spent about 3 or 4 hrs cruising along just enjoying it...

I hope you get all this before you go - I am pretty terrible with regular forum checking. I am totally jealous as I would go back in an instant. Have fun and ... ride fast and take chances ...

Kristina

Im doing it next year

Kristina,

I plan on doing the same route next May/June ( 2012). Any tips on routes, ( and particularly) places to stay etc would be greatly appreciated. Planing on staying in Pyrannees for two nights. before 2 nights on coast, then up to Limoges to stay with friends. Im struggling tryin to find stuff on the net, any pointers would be very much appreciated, 1st time aboroad on a bike. Have read your previous comments, very useful.Thanks, Ian T

Hi Ian,

I'll dig up some places that we stayed and routes etc soon - off to Portugal in the next week and things are abit mad so will look when I get back - remind me!!! Sadly not on the bikes this time - had accident :eek: up in Scotland 2 months ago so still recovering so this one is pure relaxation.... but just looking at a road trip back to spain during the olympics for next yr.... looking forward to another Spainish trip - I reckon you could take any turn and find a great road.... learn some spanish, makes life lots of fun with a bit behind you....

Spain

:ChrisKellyWe have just started exploring Inland Spain and it is true biker country absolutely fantastic spectacular roads and scenery, we enjoyed it so much we are looking to buy a place in Andalucía this year and offer bike stay, will keep you posted.

Have a great trip ..... I am not going this year:( ...... enjoy!
Cheers
Mac
:flag

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 280

Back
Top Bottom