Oil Sight Glass Empty When Running

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just done an oil change. All went well and there are no leaks. Added 4 litres of oil and reached max line on sight glass window.

However, when I start the engine the oil Sight Glass appears completely empty. Is this normal? It could be that I've just never noticed before because I'd never check oil level with engine running.. Just seems a bit bizarre. After turning engine off oil returns to sight glass.

I'm assuming all is well just wanting someone to sanity check me please.

Can't do a sanity check on you, but I only saw bubbles or some small amount of oil passing the window when the engine was running.

I've just done an oil change. All went well and there are no leaks. Added 4 litres of oil and reached max line on sight glass window.

However, when I start the engine the oil Sight Glass appears completely empty. Is this normal? It could be that I've just never noticed before because I'd never check oil level with engine running.. Just seems a bit bizarre. After turning engine off oil returns to sight glass.

That is absolutely fine as the oil moves into all the pipes, oil filter, nucks and crannies around the engine and then when you stop settles back in the sump. Hence why after running the engine you should allow it to settle for a good 10 mins before checking the oil otherwise you will get a false reading

Last edited:

Did you prime the oil filter prior to fitting?

Did you prime the oil filter prior to fitting?
I never do. Am I supposed to?

Thanks all. Just wanted to check as id never noticed that before. Glad I spotted it whilst doing an oil change too because if I'd happen to leave the engine running when I was out and about and glanced down to see I had no oil I'd probably have a mad panic 😂

This is normal, don't worry. :)

Mine too.

If you've not primed the oil filter, there'll still be enough oil in the engine not to do any damage. Leave it from warm for 10-15 minutes, recheck oil level and top up as needed. I never top mine up more than half full on the sight glass. As long as it's on or above the "Min" mark, the engine will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom