Possible gs to R nine T

Jako999

Reaction score
Hi all I have a F750GS and I love it but I’ve been I’ll lost 2 stone and and strength, I’ve been trying to build it back over the last 8 months but no luck none of it is coming back. I took my GS for the first time a few weeks ago and it’s too big and too heavy I’m gutted and I am going to try it again but I don’t think it’s going to be any good?
I’ve sat on a 2017 R nineT with factory lowered suspension and it felt ok but I really love the 719.
So my question is what are they like and now heavy-do they feel I know they weigh the same as my GS but in the show room it feels lighter. Am I just kidding my self and I really need to look at something else around the 180kg with a low seat? I am going to give one a go but what I don’t want is to go to the dealers for a test ride just to be back In 5 mins because I just couldn’t do it.

Thanks

I found the RNineT too cramped after riding upright bikes. My knees were not happy.

Have a look at a Yamaha MT07, 40kg lighter. This was the bike that got me back riding after an illness, when I found my Super Tenere to heavy to move about the garage. A dealer loaned me one for a weekend and I realised how easy riding could be with less mass to manhandle. I went up a size to an MT09 Tracer but the 07 provided the spark.

I agree. I’ve been riding GS’s for over 10 years and test rode an R NineT recently. I hated it within the first mile on it.

I took one out earlier this year I am 6ft and I found it cramped
I also found the suspension a bit harsh TBH, but loved the twin cam motor

It was also a bit wet on the testride

The R9T's are not particularly light bikes but being low to the ground and very well balanced makes them feel lighter than they are.
Worth a test ride to see what you think.
Clearly not as roomy as an adventure style bike but fine for me at 6' 3" having lowered the pegs and using bar risers etc.
Happy doing a full days ridding on my Scrambler but also have other bikes for serious touring.

Agreed, my R9T urban GS was much improved for my 6ft 1in frame after Rox bar risers and variable lowered pegs, meaning both have a range of adjustment once fitted. A standard non-esa GS shock and progressive front springs are the best value for money suspension upgrades you can make in my view.

I had my Urban for 3 years and loved it, but only after i added bar risers, Unit Garage comfort bars, lowered footpegs and the Wunderlich Active comfort seat. I also swapped out the rear shock for a Wilbers unit which transformed the ride. I am 5'11" and sold it to a mate who is easily 6'2" and he finds it perfect to ride..

I had my Urban for 3 years and loved it, but only after i added bar risers, Unit Garage comfort bars, lowered footpegs and the Wunderlich Active comfort seat. I also swapped out the rear shock for a Wilbers unit which transformed the ride. I am 5'11" and sold it to a mate who is easily 6'2" and he finds it perfect to ride..
I’ve done exactly the same mods except the suspension and I’m 6’2”. I find the seating position excellent. I add an air hawk when long distant touring but i‘d not go back to a GSA. I find the R9t more versatile. I might fit a Unit Garage big tank for more capacity in lands were the fuel stations are further apart .

Bit late I know to join but I have a 9T as a main bike and at 5’6” 12st it’s bang on for me. I can ride it all day and find it comfortable. Although most owners take the piss and strip them to death, uglyfy it then call it an ‘improvement’ I’ve gone the other way and made a successful tourer out of it so much so that even BMW would class it as their own design.

Bit late I know to join but I have a 9T as a main bike and at 5’6” 12st it’s bang on for me. I can ride it all day and find it comfortable. Although most owners take the piss and strip them to death, uglyfy it then call it an ‘improvement’ I’ve gone the other way and made a successful tourer out of it so much so that even BMW would class it as their own design.

Pics please

Bespoke framework for a variety of SHAD units 1J6A9582.jpeg

Attachments

• 1J6A9595.jpeg
    1J6A9595.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 1J6A9566.jpeg
    1J6A9566.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 19
Don’t do it. Even after having new suspension and a seat on my 9T, it wasn’t a patch on my GS or GSA. Ended being used for sunny Sunday morning blasts only. The 9T has bags of character but lacks any comfort or weather protection.

Another plus for the R9T is reliability, limited electronics, non electric suspension, no engine modes and no shift cam plus a probably one of the most reliable oil cool engines BMW have made. I've had mine 3 years and no recalls so that's a definite plus. ask the WC party how many recalls they had.

Back
Top Bottom