Rosyth Zeebrugge Route....

Looks like it will be Dunkirk, would be good if so as DFDS already have infrastructure at the port..... from the Courier

An ambitious plan to re-open a direct European ferry link from Rosyth has switched focus to Dunkirk, The Courier can reveal.

Work between the two ports is advanced, according to Ptarmigan Shipping director Derek Sloan, the Scottish businessman behind the project.

“There is a great deal of effort going into what we have named as Project Brave which will see us deliver a direct ferry service from Scotland to Europe,” he said.

“I remain very confident that not only is this service a necessity for hauliers and tourists but will be a huge success on which we can build greater connectivity into European markets.”

Some progress, but they seem optimistic about a May 2024 start.
Just dependant on Scottish and UK government funding, and resolution of some Customs & Border Force issues.
I'll not hold my breath waithing for this!

Given that this an election year, I can see some problems. The SNP will clearly want to achieve some success by establishing the route but does not have the cash. (The reasons for that is another matter totally.) OTOH the UK gov is highly unlikely to stump up any extra cash that might benefit the SNP electorally. There may be some progress after the GE though?

Given that this an election year, I can see some problems. The SNP will clearly want to achieve some success by establishing the route but does not have the cash. (The reasons for that is another matter totally.) OTOH the UK gov is highly unlikely to stump up any extra cash that might benefit the SNP electorally. There may be some progress after the GE though?
Why would the UK gov put cash in ?
it’s not a viable route, or it would be in use by now.
as its north of the border, any money should come from Scotland, not Uk.
If there’s money to be spent on ferries a resumption of the Hull to Zeebrugge route would make more sense.

Why would the UK gov put cash in ?
it’s not a viable route, or it would be in use by now.
as its north of the border, any money should come from Scotland, not Uk.
If there’s money to be spent on ferries a resumption of the Hull to Zeebrugge route would make more sense.
Well given that we live in the UK and that the SNP want to change that , it might just be a good move politically. Especially for the Tory party up here which is facing wipe out at the GE.

Then again, if this UK gov had any nous they'd have found a way to prevent Tata closing their blast furnaces in Wales. Steel making is after all a strategic industry for all of these islands.

Today, I watched Sunak laughing at and turning his back on a woman who wanted to speak to him about the NHS. His Conservative Party have clearly signed some kind of bizarre suicide pact!

Well given that we live in the UK and that the SNP want to change that , it might just be a good move politically. Especially for the Tory party up here which is facing wipe out at the GE.

Then again, if this UK gov had any nous they'd have found a way to prevent Tata closing their blast furnaces in Wales. Steel making is after all a strategic industry for all of these islands.

Today, I watched Sunak laughing at and turning his back on a woman who wanted to speak to him about the NHS. His Conservative Party have clearly signed some kind of bizarre suicide pact!
Ok. Taking out your dislike of the tories, if you can !!!!!!!
yes the SNP want independence, so let them find the money For all the extras, so they can prove independence could work.
As for Tata, YES its an important industry, but it has to modernised at some point. They are REPLACING one of them, not shutting it all down.
As for Sunak, I have to bow my head in shame nowadays, he’s just the best of a VERY bad bunch, and yes, they are going to get scalped at the election.
you really need to get your facts right, then you can look forward to the next Labour gov.
You then can rejoice in having an NHS which is just as bad, but you won’t be able to use it As you’ve given all your money to the tax man . So you can’t afford the bus fare to the hospital.
you will be massively worse off when Labour is in power.
Itll be that bad that the SNP may even get independence. Then we can put a big wall up at the border ( Again). Then charge the Scot’s to come down to England as there’ll be a mass exodus when it implodes.
imagine, the only industries being Whisky and tourism. That’s all that’ll be left when all the oil pulls out of Aberdeen.
Shipyards get busy in England from the closing of the Scottish yards and you can probably add other negative scenarios.
be careful what you wish for, as you just might regret it.
oh, don’t forget, you’ll be painting yourself blue and wearing rags as well as you charge at the border shouting and screaming 😄😄

yes the SNP want independence, so let them find the money For all the extras, so they can prove independence could work.
As for Tata, YES its an important industry, but it has to modernised at some point. They are REPLACING one of them, not shutting it all down.
As for Sunak, I have to bow my head in shame nowadays, he’s just the best of a VERY bad bunch, and yes, they are going to get scalped at the election.
you really need to get your facts right, then you can look forward to the next Labour gov.
You then can rejoice in having an NHS which is just as bad, but you won’t be able to use it As you’ve given all your money to the tax man . So you can’t afford the bus fare to the hospital.
Itll be that bad that the SNP may even get independence. Then we can put a big wall up at the border ( Again). Then charge the Scot’s to come down to England as there’ll be a mass exodus when it implodes.
imagine, the only industries being Whisky and tourism. That’s all that’ll be left when all the oil pulls out of Aberdeen.
Shipyards get busy in England from the closing of the Scottish yards and you can probably add other negative scenarios.
oh, don’t forget, you’ll be painting yourself blue and wearing rags as well as you charge at the border shouting and screaming

My dislike of the current Tory party is irrelevant. I simply gave some objective analysis of reasons why the route was unlikely to progress before the GE.

I doubt if the Welsh guys getting their notice today will give a stuff about the pedantics of modernising their plant. They'll simply feel betrayed by a UK party that's been in power for 14 years and has no industrial strategy or any strategy at all bar stirring up culture wars and anti immigration bile to keep their right wing happy.

For a supporter of the Conservative and Unionist party you've some pretty weird ideas about how to preserve the United Kingdom. But as I said above, the modern Tory party has simply become a puppet with right wingers and libertarians pulling the strings.

They've had 5 PMs and ALL of them have either been fucked over by these nutters or grovelled to them to gain power, at the expense of the national interest. Sunak only survived this week because they fear an election and bottled it because they are 27% , yes, 27% BEHIND Labour in the latest polls.

Sunak may be shit but ... :D

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

You
oh, don’t forget, you’ll be painting yourself blue and wearing rags as well as you charge at the border shouting and screaming 😄😄
You come across as someone who really dislikes Scotland and the Scots and puts England on a pedestal. Which is fine if true, just asking.

My dislike of the current Tory party is irrelevant. I simply gave some objective analysis of reasons why the route was unlikely to progress before the GE.

I doubt if the Welsh guys getting their notice today will give a stuff about the pedantics of modernising their plant. They'll simply feel betrayed by a UK party that's been in power for 14 years and has no industrial strategy or any strategy at all bar stirring up culture wars and anti immigration bile to keep their right wing happy.

For a supporter of the Conservative and Unionist party you've some pretty weird ideas about how to preserve the United Kingdom. But as I said above, the modern Tory party has simply become a puppet with right wingers and libertarians pulling the strings.

They've had 5 PMs and ALL of them have either been fucked over by these nutters or grovelled to them to gain power, at the expense of the national interest. Sunak only survived this week because they fear an election and bottled it because they are 27% , yes, 27% BEHIND Labour in the latest polls.

Sunak may be shit but ... :D

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk
Actually I’m not a Conservative supporter. I’m probably quite middle of the road. What I can do though is separate news from politics.
Tata steel is a commercial company which has to keep making a profit. Allied to that is the need to keep up to date with things like emissions standards. An arc furnace will help them do that.
If you’ve ever been in a steel making facility, like I have many times, you may see things differently.
like the time I took a crane to the coke ovens at Scunthorpe to lift out coke oven sensors. Watching green acidic smoke belching out of them makes you see things in a different way. I could tell about many other instances but won’t bore you cos your not able to differentiate between your own bollox or anything that resembles the truth.
it’s not the gov that’s failed to keep up. It’s the company.
yes the tories are just a load of snivelling toads, but Labour will be worse, in other ways.

You

You come across as someone who really dislikes Scotland and the Scots and puts England on a pedestal. Which is fine if true, just asking.
No, I like Scotland, I’m up there 2 or 3 times a year To see my best friend. possibly you didn’t get my sense of cynicism. I do feel Poshpete is a bit off balance though. He hates much and cannot separate fact from fiction sometimes.

No, I like Scotland, I’m up there 2 or 3 times a year To see my best friend. possibly you didn’t get my sense of cynicism. I do feel Poshpete is a bit off balance though. He hates much and cannot separate fact from fiction sometimes.
Why do people use the word "hate" about others who have strong political opinions? It's perfectly normal to have them you know. Not everyone is totally cynical about politics and politicians.

I've given you a number of reasons why this ferry is unlikely to progress before the GE. Ok. I've also had a go at HMG and given a number of reasons why they are behind in the polls and are like to get a good humping at the GE.

Not once did I use any language anywhere near hatred. If I appear to be "off balance" when discussing the present government, it's because the Conservatives have themselves gone way to the right of the centre right, one nation party they used to be. A party that was once supported by a majority of voters up here, believe it or not. Those days are long gone and chiefly because they were perceived as having no interest in developing Scotland's economy beyond the oil industry. I suspect the Welsh will share that view now.

For someone who "likes" Scotland, you have a strange way of showing it. I suspect that, like a lot of folk down south you have a pretty sketchy knowledge of Scotland's history and culture. That's not uncommon and perfectly ok, as is the usual banter between the two nations but it not going to win you any friends up here if you are even remotely serious. It's also exactly the kind of thing that the nationalists up here just lap up. They like culture wars too - just of a different sort.

Last edited:
Well I'm afraid that you are the one talking about building walls, painting ourselves blue, having no industries, move shipbuilding south etc. FFS we are discussing ferry services which would benefit everyone in Scotland and the UK in general.

I am NOT a fan of the SNP and hopefully the Scottish government will change after the GE But things like this must not be allowed to be politicised.

The transport infrastructure in Scotland is a disgrace, from trains, ferries, road building (A9 dueling). We see huge transport infrastructure investment in many areas in England, especially in London and the south. Would be nice to have some support for the North and Scotland?

Well I'm afraid that you are the one talking about building walls, painting ourselves blue, having no industries, move shipbuilding south etc. FFS we are discussing ferry services which would benefit everyone in Scotland and the UK in general.

I am NOT a fan of the SNP and hopefully the Scottish government will change after the GE But things like this must not be allowed to be politicised.

The transport infrastructure in Scotland is a disgrace, from trains, ferries, road building (A9 dueling). We see huge transport infrastructure investment in many areas in England, especially in London and the south. Would be nice to have some support for the North and Scotland?
So you didn’t see the 2 smiley faces either :nenau:nenau:blast

'PLANS to launch a new Scotland to Europe ferry have been ditched due to a “lack of financial support” from the Scottish and UK governments......'

'The plan to reconnect Scotland to Europe from Rosyth this spring has been put on hold after failure to get a cash commitment from government.

Ferry operator DFDS had said it had been keen to get sailing from May this year – but only if public funds were used to get it started.

In an email shared with The Courier, DFDS said the Rosyth-Dunkirk plan needed a green light by mid-January to hit that spring deadline.

“Our desired start date for the service was May 8th, but having reviewed our detailed planning over the course of last week, we have concluded that the date is no longer feasible,” the operator wrote.

“Thus, it is highly unlikely that we will have the proposed Rosyth-Dunkirk ferry service in place for the Summer of 2024, which makes our business case for the route less viable.”'

Quelle surprise....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom