Steering Lock Fault (Mechanical)

GaryG

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help with my query? The mechanical steering lock on my 2013 R1200GS LC has stopped working. It locks as normal but does not disengage when the ignition key is turned clockwise to the ignition position.
I can just about get my finger under the locking pin to lift it up back into the steering lock module/casing to allow me to move the bars left & right. As I turn the key to lock the steering anti-clockwise with the bars either far left or right I can feel pressure on the locking pin pushing downwards & it locks out but as I turn the key to the ignition postion to unlock the pin is left behind & that’s when I have to physically lift the pin back into the module.
Hope this makes sense……has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you solve it & cost. TIA.

Thanks for suggesting WD40, but I’m thinking it could be mechanical like a spring has dislodged or something similar as the locking pin has to be pushed back into the module and doesn’t feel as though it’s stuck but pushes in quite easily……has this happened to you & WD40 did the trick? TIA.

My daughter had an issue with the steering lock on her Honda 125. After some investigation, I discovered it was due to some scrote trying to break the lock, I believe the technique is to kick the front of the front wheel. Your pin may be bent.

Otherwise try lubrication. WD40 is ok, but an oil rather than a water-displacement spray, will probably be better long term.

Back
Top Bottom