The beast...........

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just done my first big trip on the S10 down to Sids weekend in France. Had the beast over 12 months and although I use it for work and short trips this has been the first time It's been loaded up and used as god intended.

So, my partner Claire wanted to come so it was loaded pretty well especially when she decided to bring her handbag..........!! The Metal Mule top box was just big enough. If anything, it was slightly overloaded especially on teh way back as we somehow managed to get 6 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin in the boxes!!

I needed a new set of tyres so I thought I'd try a set of Mitas Terra Force R's which I've had in the shed for a while.

Round trip of around 1500 miles and we had temps up to 37c. The roads were a big mix of those lovely French back roads, twisties and of course the hellish motorways and empty autoroutes.

As I knew it would and had hoped, the bike does everything asked with ease. Once you get the suspension set up right, she carves through bends, soaks up teh rough bits, absolutely eats the autoroutes and will happily sit at 130kph at just under 5k revs. The big test was last night getting off the ferry in Portsmouth at 21-30 and blasting back to the midlands to get home at midnight. Those are the times you want to have total trust the the steed between your legs.

Here are just some of the things I loved about the S10 on this trip.

• Cruise on and sit at Autoroute speeds in total comfort as it feels very planted.
  • Averaged 58 mpg on the trip and we weren't hanging around.
  • Power is turbine like especially above 3.5k and really no need fro anything above 6k.
  • People are always interested in it as it's not one of teh herd.
  • The Mitas tyres are spot on but tyre pressures have to be accurate
  • It just does the job without complaint or worry.

Things which aren't so good

• Knocking the cruise off is a but sudden and it's impossible to smooth it out.
  • Fuelling low down can still be a bit jerky at low revs in sports mode.
  • Still can't get 100% comfy on the front despite the seat mod and a cool cover

Bar those small things I can't find an issue and apart from brute power, it will do the very same thing as all the GS's, Ducati's, KTM's etc but at a fraction of the cost.

If anyone is thinking of buying one, it really is worth having a go on one and keeping an open mind. There is a small group of us locally who have all recently bought S10's and to a man, we are all really pleased with way it performs.

Those that know, know.......:)

IMG_1728.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg

Couldn't agree more with you,got to be at least in the top three ignored bikes on the market and one of the best, if not the best. When the Donkey dies that's what I'll be looking for.

Glad you both made it home safely mate. It was great to see you again and meet the lovely Claire.

Switching the cruise control off on the GS is pretty much the same, I tend to put a little bit of throttle on just before turning it off and that helps to smooth it out.

That's a nice report Serg,glad it's going ok for you.Can't help wondering why Yamaha don't make a newer version?

Kimbo

I found clutch in is best way to turn cruise off. Must admit I’m still playing with my seat too. Took my modified Touratech seat over to Baldock to see if they could sort the cover, but they’ve gone….up in smoke….literally. The whole row of units gone. Looks like it started their end too. Not looked to see if they’ve managed to set up elsewhere yet.

Never understood why the cruise "off" on the gs was so violent

If i turn off cruise on the car at 70 the kinetic energy maintains a degree of speed until friction / no power naturally reduces the speed

The GS is like some one has thrown a feck off anchor out the back !

Have to say the Yam was very nice, i did look at them when i was doing my mod 1 & 2, but for some reason forgot about it

Never understood why the cruise "off" on the gs was so violent

If i turn off cruise on the car at 70 the kinetic energy maintains a degree of speed until friction / no power naturally reduces the speed

The GS is like some one has thrown a feck off anchor out the back !

Have to say the Yam was very nice, i did look at them when i was doing my mod 1 & 2, but for some reason forgot about it

As mentioned above, just roll the throttle forward against the stop, it’s far more gentle when disengaging the cruise control :nod

for some reason I don’t think it’s mentioned in the manual :nenau

Fantastic, I love to hear about bikes like his - supremely capable but somehow didn't excite the market so available at silly prices.

If I was in the market for a big adv bike right now, on the back of your report I would definitely take a look at a S 10.

As mentioned above, just roll the throttle forward against the stop, it’s far more gentle when disengaging the cruise control :nod

for some reason I don’t think it’s mentioned in the manual :nenau
Its just the same - its a hard off, not a roll

Cruise - I use the @Lord Snooty method on my 2014 S10 ES. Just pick up the throttle & flick the brake/clutch seems to work perfectly.

Fuelling - No big 270 twin from this design era will likely be perfect at the bottom end of the rev range, but they are sensitive to TB sync. This vid describe the procedure, if you haven't been there already - always start with that first TB screw 3/4 of a turn out:-

Silly question, but why do you call it the S10 apart from the fact it's shorter than XTZ1200 Tenere?

And there was me thinking it must be some type of engine code or chassis mod. So basically it's just made up by someone and it stuck.

I was hoping for reams of information on how it came about.

As far as switching off the cruise control, I simply dip the clutch and sort of compensate on the throttle, well it has worked for me for the past 5 years and it works quite smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom