Think outside the box

Wapping

Reaction score
Bods often ask for ‘Great biking roads’. By this, I guess they mean great roads to ride a motorcycle along. What this overlooks is that lots of other road users like to ride the same or very similar roads and, more often than not, like to stay in pretty much the same sort of hotels.

When looking for ideas or inspiration, don’t limit yourself to the narrow confines of UKGSer. Surf about. Look at bicycle websites. Look at car websites. Use some imagination and make a tiny bit of effort.

Here’s an example:

It has nothing whatsoever to do with motorbikes. But, a penny to a pound says that the vast majority of the umpteen routes and cols suggested would be “Great road, mate” if you were hooning up on your awsome, as opposed to sweating up in lycra, blasting up in a Ferrari 488 or just tootling along in your Morris Minor.

Great idea, this site has some good ideas, though the danger level might be outside of the "adventurous" level you're happy with!

Which includes this list of highest roads in "Europe":

Found most of my touring routes by just spending some time on google maps with the terrain layer on - easier to spot roads passing through gorges, over mountains etc - you can also drop down via street view to have a look round

Agreed. If planning a route across France, for example, on Google maps I select the 'bicycle' option as a starting point, as that will find the quietest roads, then adapt the route from there to take in any towns/roads I fancy.

I’d be quite happy riding col to col to col. I even watch the Tour de France for ideas. ‘The club of 100 Cols’ is a nice find :thumby:

I’d be quite happy riding col to col to col. I even watch the Tour de France for ideas. ‘The club of 100 Cols’ is a nice find :thumby:

Fuck the meet up though :

Hello Colin
Hi Colin
Morning Colin
Hi Colin
What time is breakfast , Colin ?
Hey , Colin !
Colin !!!!

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

In my experience, albeit limited compared to some posters, I endorse the above comments but also find that to a great extent most of the roads on the continent picked out on routing apps, without them being previously recommended, are enjoyable as long as you take a bit of care to avoid ‘big’ roads and towns, and seek out the smaller rural ones. Google Earth, Streetview etc can assist in finding a preview, as can POIs in identifying food and fuel locations. As has been said often, you can’t break it by trying

Back
Top Bottom