Top box and luggage 1250R

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m trading in my GS for a new R.

I’ve specced the side luggage bars and top rack.

Obviously my vario side boxes won’t fit but will the top box?

Or do I need new kit and if so what kind?

I have a Givi box on mine but I seem to remember that the Vario top box fits the rack on the R.
The BMW panniers are expensive and quite a bit smaller than the varios but fit well on the bike and are waterproof.

Yes, the Vario topbox fits the R & RS models

That’s good if it does.

They wouldn’t fit the GS as it was supplied and I had to buy a new top plate.

I’m taking that off before it goes back anyway.

I really wish the Vario wasn’t quite as heavy.

I remember years ago I had an old Givi set that was basically just a plastic shell which was all I needed.

That’s good if it does.

They wouldn’t fit the GS as it was supplied and I had to buy a new top plate.

I’m taking that off before it goes back anyway.

I really wish the Vario wasn’t quite as heavy.

I remember years ago I had an old Givi set that was basically just a plastic shell which was all I needed.

I use a 30 year old Givi E45 box as a topbox on my R1200RS. It has a lovely patina and stickers from various trips since I bought it second hand in 1996! Givi E21 side cases on SW Motech Quick Release frames for touring.

I use a 30 year old Givi E45 box as a topbox on my R1200RS. It has a lovely patina and stickers from various trips since I bought it second hand in 1996! Givi E21 side cases on SW Motech Quick Release frames for touring.

Totally agree with your sentiment, Wessie. My 18-year old top box is a mere youngster and been repainted 3 times to match the respective bike. The modern idea of a £1000 electric-lockable topbox is crazy, even though I am the first to point out that is still worth £700 when you come to sell it again.

The Vario topbox does fit, but at 7.5kg empty, you have to ask yourself if you really want that on your R. I didn't and bought a single skin Givi box and mount plate.

I’ve bought a genuine BMW top box which is substantially lighter than the Vario but still no lightweight.

I had a look at the Vario in pictures installed on the R and it looked as if it wasn’t sitting vertically but was sloping forward so wouldn’t give a flat surface for my pillion to lean against.

Which is its most important function.

Another question 😂

The BMW top box I bought only came with one key.

Can you code them to your bike (as per the Vario boxes) or is the lock fixed and it needs a separate key?

Another question 😂

The BMW top box I bought only came with one key.

Can you code them to your bike (as per the Vario boxes) or is the lock fixed and it needs a separate key?
Can definitely code top-box to the rest of the bike - my box has been on 3 different bikes so far. My dealer charged £22.00 in 2019 for a brand new coded lock.

Back
Top Bottom