Twin cam oil light

db-89

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Funny one,i havnt seen the bike myself yet so juat seeing if its a common issue

A mate just bought a 1200 twin cam ,he notices under heavy braking the oil light will come on. It wont do it untill he heavily brakes,apparently had recent service (possible too thin oil?) It will stay on untill he turns off the ignition and starts again,it wont be on then. If the light is for low pressure and hes drove for 20 mins engine would be dead so im leading to believe its possible a dead sensor. Saying that i remember 90s bmw cars would throw the oil light on when the oil pump chain had gone slack

Thanks in advance for any help 👍

Oil pressure switch/sensor is above LH cylinder, single wire sensor. Could be the sensor, could be the wire breaking under flexing, could be a bad earth.

I would replace the sensor.

On my 1980 R100, the low oil pressure light would come on under sustained heavy braking because the oil would be at the front of the sump, and the pickup was at the back, but in those days the light was connected to the sensor directly. I don't know where the oil pickup is on the twin cam, but the "clever" electronics probably keeps the light on to make sure the rider notices, I know that my 2010 German car keeps the oil light on if the sensor is disconnected then reconnected.
It would be a good idea to check that the oil is correct, and the oil level, and personally I would check the oil pressure and check what pressure triggers the sensor.

On my 1980 R100, the low oil pressure light would come on under sustained heavy braking because the oil would be at the front of the sump, and the pickup was at the back, but in those days the light was connected to the sensor directly. I don't know where the oil pickup is on the twin cam, but the "clever" electronics probably keeps the light on to make sure the rider notices, I know that my 2010 German car keeps the oil light on if the sensor is disconnected then reconnected.
It would be a good idea to check that the oil is correct, and the oil level, and personally I would check the oil pressure and check what pressure triggers the sensor.
I'm going to try get the bike from him next weekend ,change oil and filter for piece of mind because I just never trust anything without a receipt. Iv a T piece and gauge for oil pressure so might just rig it up and tape it to the tank and see what is actually going on . I'm presuming sensor or wiring anyway

I'm going to try get the bike from him next weekend ,change oil and filter for piece of mind because I just never trust anything without a receipt. Iv a T piece and gauge for oil pressure so might just rig it up and tape it to the tank and see what is actually going on . I'm presuming sensor or wiring anyway
They also have an oil level switch on the other side. You sure it's not oil level that's flashing up?

Ok so got the bike tonight for an hour. Typically my laptop wasnt charged so couldnt live read oil pressure value. Changed the oil and filter. Definatly overfilled with oil,not recently changed and it was like piss water coming out of it. Left bike aotting for about 15mins at idle,few odd revs and oil pressure like comes on at idle. Slightest rev above idle and its gone. When driving it now the light doesnt come on but if you clutch in then it will come on. Seems to be possibly oil pump issue but is this common on a k25 twin cam? No excessive rattles when hot or cold,no metal in oil ,correct hiflo filter fitted and replaced with mahle oil filter and correct valvoline oil

They also have an oil level switch on the other side. You sure it's not oil level that's flashing up?
Seem to be oil pressure light from what i can tell,oil level indicator seems to read correctly with fresh oil

What oil did you put in ?

Piss thin fully synth or ........Something with a bit of body

I am not a fan of low viscosity fully synth to be honest unless you are "racing"

It just does not need it

I never had a twin cam yet BUT I know BM changed oil spec across the range for fully synth (Maybe to raise turnover more than anything! ) and then changed it back a couple of years later

Either change the sender (a 5 minute job on a GS) OR If it will take 20/50 bung it in and see if the light problem disappears

Replace the oil pressure switch, left hand side of the engine by LH cylinder, its a single-wire sensor.

Use 10W50 or 20W50 fully synth oil and a Mahle oil filter (same as BMW but cheaper).

The 50 grade oil will help in avoiding an oil warning light at idle once the engine up to temperature.

Last time I looked there was no analog value used by the ECU for oil pressure, just a digital make/break contact in the oil pressure switch to bring the oil light on.

There is a low oil level sensor in the sump on RH side beneath the RH cylinder, but again AFAIK this is just to show sump level in the RID when at idle in neutral. I had to replace it on my 2008 bike as the sensor failed but it didn't affect the oil warning light.

Back
Top Bottom