V100 Stelvio caught testing.

Reasonable review IMO. Interesting that Mike finds the screen "very effective, especially when raised" while 2 other reviewers described it as not very effective. Personally I think it works pretty well, and no buffeting as with a V85TT, but if I want still air it would need to raise up about 3" higher. Also it jiggles around over bumps when raised, so I just lower it when on gravel roads. It's fine on smooth roads.

He's the second one I've read that's repeated "And because it's a Guzzi, it clunks loudly when you tap it into 1st gear. Wouldn't want it any other way." WTF? I've never had a Guzzi, car, tractor, or any motorcycle with a dry clutch that "clunked tapping it into 1st gear" ? It's a wet clutch thing.

Yep the gearing is a little short IMO, but it's typical on many adventure bikes which are derived from sport or sport touring models, unless the manufacture takes the effort to make internal changes to the ratios.

I’ve had a Guzzi for over thirty years. I really like Guzzis.

BUT

What possible rational reason is there for me to chop in my GS1250 and buy a Stelvio?

It’ll likely have teething issues, the dealer support will be no better than BMW (and given one tale on here, might be much worse). There’s no real difference in weight or height. The GS is a far better bike than I need, if I fuck up, it’ll be me, not the bike, and I guess the Stelvio would be the same. And it isn’t a Guzzi that I can strip and rebuild in my garage over a week or two, as I have done with my old LeMans

Thoughts?

I can think of no rational reason, SBD? A BMW R1250 GS is probably better than a Stelvio at most things, and both are way better than I am as a rider.

I waited for a year after the V100 came out so hopefully the worst of the teething issues (water leaks, clunky gearbox, etc) were remedied for 2024. I would probably give the R1300 a year were I interested in one of those too.

Were you interested in one you can easily service yourself, as well as being more on performance level with an old LeMans, Moto Guzzi offers the V85TT. I love my V85TT and am keeping it along with the Stelvio.

Not in the market for a bike but I’d buy this over a GS, so long as I had a decent local dealer I trusted.
The GS has become the Mondeo of the bike world. Does it all very well but so common now, I know, don’t shout at me, they don’t make Mondeo’s now and they’re not even a common sight anymore but I don’t know what the modern equivalent is, a Nissan Qashqui?
I want to ride something a little different, like the GS used to be before the Long Way Round. I think the Guzzi fits that brief perfectly. Plus Guzzi’s are cool bikes.

Back
Top Bottom