Waypoints v Seperate routes etc.

GSTourer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had my Zumo 550 for a year or so now and have used it solely for getting from A to B, as it were.

In July this year I intend to ride from Le Havre to The Pyrenees and back as part of a 12 day hol in France.

I am currently in the process of devising the route etc in Mapsource.

Initially I thought I would do a single route incorporating both sightseeing locations on the way to my overnight campsites. Then I thought that maybe I am better to do routes for each individual day, incorporating a single days sightseeing and the campsite for the night.

Does anyone have any ideas as to which is the best method............if either is the best.

As a supplementary question.................using either method, if I for instance have 4 waypoints to visit (sightseeing spots etc) prior to my final destination campsite, but I decide to only visit 2 because of lack of time and then head for the campsite....................at what point will the unit recognise I have decided to do this and NOT keep re-routing me to the 2 points I have decided to give a miss?

I am sure this is really obvious..................but I am not particularly brilliant with modern technology. In fact were I leaving soon you may never hear from me again. :) (Does " I am just going outside, I may be some time" ring any bells?)

Many thanks.

Ian

I'd set up routes for each day on mapsource and name them Day 1, Day 2 etc.

You can always select all the routes in mapsource and display them to get an overall view of the whole trip.

You can save your sightseeing locations and waypoints as favourites. Then if you decide you want to go straight to a particular sightseeing location or the campsite, just tell the unit to take you straight there................

As a supplementary question.................using either method, if I for instance have 4 waypoints to visit (sightseeing spots etc) prior to my final destination campsite, but I decide to only visit 2 because of lack of time and then head for the campsite....................at what point will the unit recognise I have decided to do this and NOT keep re-routing me to the 2 points I have decided to give a miss?

Ian

I agree about planning your routes in MapSource and preloading them (Day 1, Day 2 etc), but don't forget that if your plans change you can always edit the route in the Zumo.

Once you have a Route running, select "Menu", then "Where To", then "Routes". Select the first entry which should be "Current Route", then "Edit"

There are options to Add/Remove points, Reorder Points, Recalculate and more.

For your scenario, you can just Remove the points for the places you want to skip and the route should adjust appropriately.

:thumb2

Gentlemen,

Many thanks............just what I needed and I didn't realise it was possible to use the Zumo to adapt the route/waypoints in such a way.

I will construct a rute locally including waypoints and try it out.

Many thanks.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom