What am I doing wrong?

I’d echo theoneandonly’s comments earlier about treaded boots. Smooth soles on loose gravel feels like marbles when you lean the bike over just before heeling the side stand!!
Mind you, just the joys of motorcycling. My feet comically blow off my forward pegs on Harley anything over a ton
Harley? Over a ton? Weight, maybe. Speed? Nah! :D

…………chatting to a range of guys at bike stops, it seems many guys still buy bikes based on magazine reviews.
Particularly with adventure bikes - you need to ensure you actually fit on the damn thing before buying. The same way you used to size up for a push bike when younger. I started buying GSs 20 years ago cause they’re simply the most comfortable thing for my long legs. My knees ache on any sports contraption. I even bought the Motorrad adjustable pegs to enjoy a more relaxed riding position. Unrelated I know, but I’d recommend for anyone with 34 plus inside leg. They’ve also got spring loaded rubber inserts that stop any foot tingle on motorways etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harley? Over a ton? Weight, maybe. Speed? Nah! :D

One of the blissful pleasures of owning a Harley is to ride it flat out everywhere. It’s absolutely intoxicating cause the bike reaches it’s limits before the rider does. For example, you have to stand on the rear brake(like a car) and downshift to get it to stop. Conversely most other bikes (including GS) it’s the rider that pussies out before the bike. Most won’t understand and definitely the majority of Harley riders don’t………..but biking for me still evokes a sense of individuality that’s priceless. A well ridden GS can keep up with anything from the Orient cause of its “magic carpet” ride over shitty UK roads, no front brake diving on tight bends and it’s incredible high visibility (because of it’s annoying height )

Be aware that everything in the Universe is in balance - if you drop your bike on one side the riding gods will ensure that somehow it goes down on the other side!! DAMHIK

Unless you buy replacement parts for the damaged side - then it’ll go down on same

May be your body's trying to tell you something, there comes a time in life when we need to realise we are not 21 any more & neither are our aging body's
No one likes admitting that may be it's time to down sizes ,and yes it May dent your ego when pulling up at Starbucks on something that's not the sizes of a small car.
I down sized a couple of years a go from a 1000cc + adventure bike which I had owned for nine years and didn't wand to sell but I started dropping the bike on and off and the final straw was dropping the bike in Switzerland coming out of a campsite fully loaded and this just made me decide to get something smaller and a lot lighter.
Yes I do miss not riding a large bike I think it's a macho thing , but riding a smaller bike gives me more confidence and it does everything my larger bike did apart from quick overtaking.
I still enjoy touring on a smaller bike and have been to spain/ Italy/Switzerland 🇨🇭 etc.

Ian.

May be your body's trying to tell you something, there comes a time in life when we need to realise we are not 21 any more & neither are our aging body's
No one likes admitting that may be it's time to down sizes ,and yes it May dent your ego when pulling up at Starbucks on something that's not the sizes of a small car.
I down sized a couple of years a go from a 1000cc + adventure bike which I had owned for nine years and didn't wand to sell but I started dropping the bike on and off and the final straw was dropping the bike in Switzerland coming out of a campsite fully loaded and this just made me decide to get something smaller and a lot lighter.
Yes I do miss not riding a large bike I think it's a macho thing , but riding a smaller bike gives me more confidence and it does everything my larger bike did apart from quick overtaking.
I still enjoy touring on a smaller bike and have been to spain/ Italy/Switzerland etc.

Ian.

There’s also a theory kicking about that you actually get quicker on a lighter less powerful bike. Simply because your more in control and can exploit the limits of the bike.

I still enjoy touring on a smaller bike and have been to spain/ Italy/Switzerland 🇨🇭 etc.

Ian.
Interesting, and echoes some of my recent thoughts. I no longer (never did?) need a 1250 gs, but like a physically big bike as I don't bend so well these days. My 790 duke is fun, but not a bike to tour on. It isn't long distance comfortable or take luggage easily. A compromise might be in order. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Apologies for a thread diversion/hijack, OP

Interesting, and echoes some of my recent thoughts. I no longer (never did?) need a 1250 gs, but like a physically big bike as I don't bend so well these days. My 790 duke is fun, but not a bike to tour on. It isn't long distance comfortable or take luggage easily. A compromise might be in order. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Apologies for a thread diversion/hijack, OP

Could do a lot worse than a Suzuki V Storm. I rented one a few years ago in Thailand and it was an absolute hoot!
Much easier to handle on dirt roads too.

OK ‘Dead Prussian’, firstly it happens. It just does. I know it’s a shock and it’s your pride and joy but no matter how good you are there is ‘that’ time when you’re not concentrating or something catches you out. REALITY.

Let’s deal with the scuffs first. Firstly I bet they are on the underside so you don’t normally see them. Use a bit of autosol or scotchbright to buff out, but be careful not to do too much or you’ll gloss what is satin.

Right now to the GSA. A stunning comfortable bike that can mile munch so easily. But, fully fuelled and if fully loaded with a pillion is massive weight. Stopping at a quick changing red light tells you just how much weight you’re pulling up. A real lesson. It doesn’t mean it’s bad you just need to know. Remember your bike has so many virtues. Enjoy them.

Work out
Now this is my biggest tip. Make sure you are working your muscles.
WTF! Yes, if you want to move the bike around, pull it up from the side stand to vertical on a camber easily etc you need to have good core strength. Work them muscles. It’ll do you both good.

Back
Top Bottom