What am I missing?

Deleted account 230818001

Reaction score
Bit too general a question tbh but I’ve recently acquired a ‘64 1190 Adventure.

Someone kindly gave me a pannier set and I’ve purchased a matching top box from eBay.

All three locks are now coded to the ignition key but…

I’ve got this..084BD11C-7F01-4194-8DDC-A3FD575EC132.jpg and this1673F759-CD2E-454F-B418-16C36E29BF9B.jpg

What part/ adapter do I need?

I’ve also got these…5B6030E8-B1F1-467A-A5C1-D0734DD42AB8.jpg6791A819-33E5-413C-9318-85C993B1AE6A.jpg

Which don’t seem to match, again, does anyone have any idea which pannier hangers I need?

Unless I’m just not understanding how they actually attach??

I have an 1190 (but no panniers)
I’m pretty sure they just hang on those frames - looking at the shape of the frame they can only go one way round.
HTH

The pannier you’re showing is clearly the exhaust side.

I have an 1190 (but no panniers)
I’m pretty sure they just hang on those frames - looking at the shape of the frame they can only go one way round.
HTH

The pannier you’re showing is clearly the exhaust side.

Yeah, the shape looks right but I can’t get the pannier to fit on… almost right but not quite.

A previous owner has obviously farkled then de-farkled the bike, I’m wondering if the hanger is supposed to have spacers behind it?

Yeah, the shape looks right but I can’t get the pannier to fit on… almost right but not quite.

A previous owner has obviously farkled then de-farkled the bike, I’m wondering if the hanger is supposed to have spacers behind it?

Give me 5 minutes and I will check

Top brackets do not have spacers as such, they have moulded in bosses on the back of them that space the inner edge of the bracket 18mm out from the frame mounting points

Are the spacers in the lower fittings that mount onto the footrest hangars so they line up correctly ?

Give me 5 minutes and I will check

Top brackets do not have spacers as such, they have moulded in bosses on the back of them that space the inner edge of the bracket 18mm out from the frame mounting points

Are the spacers in the lower fittings that mount onto the footrest hangars so they line up correctly ?

Many thanks for checking, I’ll take a look ASAP

Thanks, I’ve watched that repeatedly since you posted it but for some reason I’m still no further ahead. I just can’t for the life of me get the pannier to sit flat on the bracket and so I can’t slide it forward.

Problem is, I’m trying to sort it out in half hour snatches but will have to find the time to thoroughly investigate. Something just doesn’t seem right though and I’m having the same issue on both sides??? :(:(

BY Jove!!

I discovered the problem with the panniers and mounting!

I should’ve known as I’ve encountered the same issue many times, it’s….. me ;)

I was simply being too gentle, the trick appears to be to line everything up and thump it towards the bike, then thump it forwards :thumb2

I did struggle to take it off again mind :D

Now I’ll scour eBay for a floating top case mount with fittings and I’m sorted.

Many, many thanks to you all for the benefit of your knowledge.

:beerjug::beerjug:

Yup, managed to source one on eBay.

It seems that the “floating plate” and its fixings are only available as a package when buying the top box and certain parts are not available individually/ separately.

The top box fixings and plate are designed to allow the box to move slightly in order to avoid a speed wobble. Luckily I’ve also managed to find some on eBay.

As for my struggle with the panniers, apparently there are spacers and longer retaining bolts for the standard rear rack which create more space to align the panniers with their mounting fixtures on the bike, luckily these are still available.

Back
Top Bottom