Pyrenees

custard

Hi

I am doing a trip down though France into Andorra, then along the Pyrenees.
This is my perposed route, can anyone tell me how much time I should allow for this section, and places to stop.

First we take the N20 out of France onto the N22 into Andorra, this will take us straight through Andorra.
Out the other side into Spain on the N-145 this leads on to the N-260 to Adrall, we stay on the N-260, the road zig zags
through Avellanet - Canturri - Rubio - Vilamur - Enbonui. We then head onto the C13 to Labastida and on to Esterri d Aveu.
Then the C-28, we stay on this through Valencia d-Auell, staying on the C-28 untill Vielha, then north onto the N-230.
At Carretera Lieida-Vielha we then get on the N-141, this takes us back into France.
On the D618a Saint Mamet head to Bagneres de-Luchon then onto the D618.
Then take the D919 to Arreau-Pailhac.
Ture onto the D918 to Aspin-Aure to Saint-Marie-de-Campan.
Heading south on the D918 to Gripp to Esterre to Esquieze to Esquieze-Sere.
North on the D921 to Saulom, staying North on the D921 to Argeles-Gazost, then West on the D918 to Route des Pyrenees and West
Arrens-Marsous staying on the D918.

Heading to Gourette and then Eaux-Bonnes.
Then North to Laruns on the D934 to Gere Belesten and North to Arudy.

If we then carry on North to PAU, we could then shoot along the E80 West to Biarritz.

Thanks

cant help with a lot of this / but i can help with some.:)

Argeles Gazost;
we stayed in a hotel slap bang in the middle of the town - on the square.
its a Logis de France one. Very handy for some excellent roads in the area.

Spain;
we found it very hard to find hotels that close to France. we ended up staying every night in France (no hardship!:D ). but a disappointment if you want to explore for longer in Spain.

hth.
~~

Ooooh! - if the road has a "Col" in it - DO it!
mmmmm Col Du tourmalet - on the way up the Col, stop in Mongey (?) and take the cable car to Pic Du Midi bigore - Wow! . also Col D Aspin etc
(am grinning just thinking about those roads!)

Have you thought about getting the ferry to spain.I will be doing this in june.
Plymouth to santander one way,then tour picos and pyrenees.Then its back
up through france to calais.

Already booked the ferry, Portsmouth to Le harv, riding down through France into Andorra. One of our team;) has proprety in France so we will be using this as stop off points.

route

That is almost the same route that I have done but in the other direction,

Stopped at Sallent de Gallago for a couple of nights,

and then onto Sort for a week.

This is very well placed for day trips to Andorra and other places.

I would not, just pass through, Andorra la Vella as there is some excellent bike shops to see and loads of 'tax free' shops to look at.:thumb2

Plus some brill roads that will make you smile.:) :)

Don't miss Andorra, it is so frightful , it is worth a look!

Bike kit shops there are, full off old Euro stock!

My patch!!

From Argeles Gazost head for Col de Soulor(there`s 2 beer stops at the summit 1438m I think) which takes you via Col d`Aubisque and down into Gourette and then as you say on into Pau eventually...(you could even do Col du Pourtalet into Spain and if you`re on a big trailie try the 27km dirt track to a wee village called Nocito in Spain where you can camp try canyoning,walking and trekking...along with river swimming...very beautiful)

Head on over to Biarrtiz for sure but if you want a good swim try the beach at Bidart (high warm surf with no wind)and the town square there for food...allow about 1.75hrs to get from Pau to the Biarritz get off...also after the peage (about half distance where the road is now not bounded by the private autoroute)be mindful of dropping your speed down to whats shown...the whole way to the end of the autoroute...normally here there can be a police roadstop to dish out speeding fines...other than that its a great route you`re doing.......
I also find that if you use www.viamichelin.com the times it uses for travelling are`nt too far out......I`m in a village called Asson 64800 on the main biking route towards Sapin from the Lourdes direction and if you need to know anything more local post a reply.....enjoy
:)

Back
Top Bottom