R11GS Shocks - Hagon?

PeterNicholson

Hi All

Has anyone any experience of Hagon shocks on oilheads? The bumpy roads around Hawes, not to mention a few airborne episodes, appear to been the beginning of the end for my rear damper, which has started weeping oil.
Have considered:
Ohlins – pricey, made of pure unobtainium (12-week order times quoted)
Technoflex – very pricey, can’t find a UK distributor
Maxton – can’t find them at all!
White Power – very pricey, no remote preload adjuster, 2 week order time
Fournales – bit cheaper than Ohlins, 2-3 week order time, no spring left if they go pop
Hagon – bit cheaper than Ohlins, unknown quality, available next-day, 2 year unlimited mileage warranty

I will be buying the bike from my company as of 1/8, so I want to get this sorted before then! I also want the new shock to be of good enough quality to, hopefully, last out the life of the bike, although I can accept that it may need a rebuild in the interim.

The 2-year warranty on the Hagons is therefore quite attractive, as is the fact that they do rapid delivery, and they are quite close to my normal patch, so going in personally, a la Sanguine, is always a viable option, as a last resort.

Any comments either way?

TIA

Peter

Aha - have just found the Maxton website address in FuzzyDucks thread, so now we have -

Maxton - well 'kin pricey, legendary quality and back-up, unknown (as yet) delivery and warranty.

I have emailed them with an info request, so now waiting with bated breath...

Peter.

I think you'll find Maxton shocks over £200 more than the Ohlins.

Today I've fitted Fournales. FYI they come with no remote preload adjuster [just in case you got that idea from their web site]. According to the UK importers in order to have a remote preload adjuster [on a 259 twin] the shock needs filling with oil whilst installed. Clearly, this is not owner doable, hence no remote adjuster.

The only adjustment is via a special air pump which M.R. Holland the importers will loan out should that be required. Since these shocks are built to the purchaser's spec I'm hopeful this won't be necessary. In theory the shock should be able to cope with any load placed on it........we'll see.

I've only been for a quick solo run but they do seem to be an improvement over my 29k mile OEM jobbies. No longer do I seem to be skipping from bump to bump on poorly surfaced roundabouts. Defiantly a more 'planted' feel. It'll be interesting to see how this "one-setting-suits-all" lack of adjustability copes with a fully loaded bike. Anyone know?

Another thing, Fournales shock are *significantly* lighter than OEM, almost worryingly so.

Not that I'm biased or anything, it is after all only£700 [Jesus H!!], but this criticism of Fournales because they are useless if a seal blows puzzles me a bit. Surely the same can be said of many other components should they fail? If a piston fails you're dead in the water for sure, but we still risk using them.

Russ.

I also have the same problem with bad shocks, and also ringing round for best deals. There are not any!
Best price I had for ohlins was £750, but have decided on maxton for the following reasons
I only live 30 miuites away from them.
They fit the shocks, not that its difficult!
But after they fit them, Maxton set them up for me. I do not have their experience of setting up shocks, and after spending £800 +VAT f&r, believe me I want them bang on.
If there is any problems with bedding in ie change spring etc or any other fine adjustments, there is no charge.
They also did not reply to my email, but were very helpful on the phone ie 30 minuites and apparently they have done quite a few GS's
If anyone else is serious about maxtons give me a call, maybe we can sort out a deal.

Russ/boxer gibbered thusly:
this criticism of Fournales because they are useless if a seal blows puzzles me a bit. Surely the same can be said of many other components should they fail?

I think the problem people have with the Fournales set-up is that if a seal goes bang, you are left with no suspension at all. At least with the more conventional spring/damper arrangement you have some, albeit limited, "limp home" ability.

Regards

Peter

Hagon

Hagon provide an excellent service.

I don't have experience of the hagon on my gs, but I do have one on my bandit.

The hagon shock is completely rebuildable, and they give very good advice on set-up.

I am fortunate in that I drive past their plce every day on the way to work.:beerjug:

Further to the tale...

No reply from Maxtons, and I was unable to get through on the phone - looks like they are busy!

Finally got through to Harris in Hertford, and have been quoted 3-4 weeks delivery, so I have placed an order.

Incidentally, if anyone wants a front Ohlins for their R11xxGS, Motorworks have some in stock.

Bandit - thanks for the info on Hagons - if the delivery on the Ohlins gets too far extended, then I can always cancel and get one off the shelf from Alf Hagon.

Thanks for all the replies.

Peter (bouncing):beer:

Hi peter
I've read that Ohlins increase ride height, something to do with the springs just wondered if you knew ?

getting fed up waitng for new rear shock from a SPeCial dealer.

mark

Gauloises wrote:
I've read that Ohlins increase ride height, something to do with the springs just wondered if you knew ?

Depends hpow much of my normal mountain of gear I have in the panniers!;)

I think I can cope with an extra inch though...

Regards

Peter

Two of my friends have Ohlins on their 1100 GS's they at first noticed that the bike seemed to be higher because they needed to tippytoe at traffic lights.

However after a reasonable period of time the suspension settled down or is that sagged slightly and everything seems the same to them.

It was noticeable because both of them are shorties like myself and the last thing they needed was a higher bike.

I spoke 2 weeks ago with an Adventure owner who noticed that the new bike was quite tall but after an extended ride in the bush over lots of corrugated roads, the suspension had definitely dropped to a more comfortable level. This was with only 3,000 Klm's on the clock.

My own bike now has dropped so much that I can flatfoot it when stationary with the seat on the higher setting, compared to just toeing around when quite new on the lower setting!

Mick.

Back
Top Bottom