PDA

View Full Version : scottish bike show

Deleted account rno
26-02-07, 21:01
After saying that I won't go back, I'm needing a pair of boots. So I'm going...:rolleyes:

Anyone else from these parts?

Gordon
26-02-07, 21:10
Show date is always close to my birthday so I get the chance to drag the family along and point to 'suggested' presents. This is usually the Saturday visit. Normally go along on the bike on Sunday to meet up with various pals (except last year when the Sunday was snowed off and the show cancelled)

http://www.stevenboothdesign.co.uk/MCN/ScottishShow/index.html

Cheers

Voyager
26-02-07, 22:23
After saying that I won't go back, I'm needing a pair of boots. So I'm going...:rolleyes:

Anyone else from these parts?

Yes, I'll be going on the Saturday (I can actually walk there from home, but I'll probably take a car in case I buy something).

I won't be taking a bike trailer though !

Its the "Log Cabin Lunch Meeting" on the Sunday - but I think one of my girls is in a horse riding competition so "Transport Department (and Sponsor)" isn't allowed out to play.

Blackal
26-02-07, 22:31
Yes, I'll be going on the Saturday (I can actually walk there from home)

So.............. can we park our bikes in your garden? :nenau

How much is the "shuttle bus" to the show?

Al :augie

Schtum
26-02-07, 22:32
Aye nae doobt Ah'll toddle alang.....:) I'll probably be accompanied by my son who passed his Direct Access in October of last year and then bought himself a Hornet 600. I think we'll take a car. Wandering around Ingliston in bike kit always gets me too hot.

Funny....we were just talking about this at the table tonight.....seeing guys dressed in leathers and carrying lids getting out of cars in the car park and going into the show. Of course, they might have been going in to take a test ride or have a wee shottie on a supermoto.......:mmmm

AndyT
26-02-07, 22:45
I will be planning to pop along on the Sunday if all goes well. Hopefully see some of you there.:thumb2

AndyT

dunard
27-02-07, 07:32
Hoping to go this year (probably Saturday) as I was snowed off last time round. I'll have one or both sons with me so I'll be travelling in the yellow peril.

dunard

Uinneag
27-02-07, 07:37
Motogp is on the Saturday so probably go on the Sunday

Saw these boots Heir Kimmel on www.defeatedarmysurplus.com:rolleyes:

http://www.ojitoys.com/ojiie-images/oji1553.jpg

Voyager
27-02-07, 07:54
So.............. can we park our bikes in your garden? :nenau How much is the "shuttle bus" to the show? Al :augie

Why not !

I'll even move the Land Rover out of the garage so that the bikes can go inside.

I'll be taking a Ford Focus Estate - so three seats available (neighbour Tom will be coming as well).

I walked to the Royal Highland Show one year - its not far but the long dusty track adjacent to the Airport fence is a bit of a pain on foot.

I am usually outside waiting for the show to open - less crowded early on.

(I suspect you were'nt being serious, but the offer is there).

Bob.

Barrmill Biker
27-02-07, 08:24
Lippy and I are going to the show for the same reason as your self need new boots.

Ian and Sue:moped: :moped:

SpyInTheCamp
27-02-07, 17:29
I'll be there on Sunday morning. Hopefully at 9am as I'll be bringing the kids and want to avoid the worst of the crowds.

But as I'll be at the Scotland V Ireland rugby match the day before, it may be a bit difficult to get our of bed early! :rolleyes: :beer:

Kai

Uinneag
27-02-07, 17:31
I'll try and make it if I've no got th Jile by then:augie

arcboutant
27-02-07, 18:20
your so eloquent Seonaidh :rob

Grizzly
27-02-07, 19:49
Will be there Saturday at opening time - hope it's better than last year though:nenau - if not, then it'll probably be the last for a while!!

Cheers.................grizzly:beer:

arcboutant
28-02-07, 12:34
one has a ticket for the Saturday too :thumb

DrKen
28-02-07, 15:02
I'm afraid I will miss it this year. I have to go to Ireland for the weekend so will be supping on Guinness and oysters instead of salivating over the new Ducati or whatever. Enjoy.

Bumble Bee
28-02-07, 15:58
Arcboutant wrote:-
"one has a ticket for the Saturday too "

Well Alan, so has one, so one may well see one aboot the place, as well as some of you other ones!!!!!

BB

Voyager
28-02-07, 17:52
I'm afraid I will miss it this year. I have to go to Ireland for the weekend so will be supping on Guinness and oysters instead of salivating over the new Ducati or whatever. Enjoy.

Hopefully there will be some Italian manufacturers there - they all avoided the NEC Bike Show (saving their energies for Milan).

Of course - I just go for the Classic Bikes :rob

arcboutant
28-02-07, 22:11
Look forward to that Ron:thumb . You taking car or bike?

Bumble Bee
01-03-07, 18:22
Not sure Alan.

Depends if any purchases are too big for paniers or no.:confused: :confused:

BB

Rev Chuck
01-03-07, 18:56
See you all on Saturday. I'll be the one with the excited teenager hanging around, 'cos his 16th birthday is coming up soon, and mother said it was okay to go out on the bike....

arcboutant
01-03-07, 22:38
aye, I think i'll refit the Touratechs and take the bike, easier escape at night. Also, is the bridge not getting repairs done during the weekends around now?

Uinneag
04-03-07, 20:20
Onywan ken o any decent bnb's in the Edingurgh area for me an the Minger:nenau
For Friday / Sat night

Schtum
04-03-07, 20:31
For Friday / Sat night

Hawthorne House, here in South Queensferry. Can't find their website but lots of hits on Google. Quaint, picturesque, handy for restaurants and pubs and only a few hundred yards away frae me.....:)

Blackal
04-03-07, 21:09
For Friday / Sat night

You might want to have a quick swatch at this site:

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database/SCL/

Al :thumb2

See ya on the Saturday :thumb2

Al :D

Voyager
05-03-07, 17:19
Hopefully there will be some Italian manufacturers there - they all avoided the NEC Bike Show

Rumour has it that Honda will not be at the Scottish Bike Show - considered it too expensive.

Shame.

Gordon
05-03-07, 22:15
Rumour has it that Honda will not be at the Scottish Bike Show - considered it too expensive.

Honda not on the Exhibitors list for 2007 - Hear that they had a 'bad' Show last year, not helped with the cancellation of Sunday session due to bad weather.

Cheers

Bennysdad
08-03-07, 20:56
If the weather is nice I will have a run down on Saturday just for the outing and a chance to meet other bikers but if you are going for the show content be warned. I was at the MCN show in the Excel Centre in London this year and it was grim. It took ages to get in and many of the major manufacturers did not turn up. Good old BMW were there however and you were allowed to sit on their bikes which is more than could be said for the other bikes that were there. Hopefully some of the local exhibitors may have some genuine bargains for sale on their stands.

Have a look at the attached link from the MCM site and some of the others on the same theme.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=241655

SpyInTheCamp
09-03-07, 12:17
but if you are going for the show content be warned.
Depends on what you are after. I've been to the show every year for the past 10 years and still enjoy it. It represents an emergence from a relative state of biking hibernation for me.

I take the kids now and go early to miss the worst of the crowds. It's a good day out and if the weather is OK then the outdoor stuff - stunts, display races, MX etc. is good.

There are a few bargains to be had - boots & lids, but it is a mixed bag.

I'll be there on sunday - unless it snows again!

Kai

columbus
09-03-07, 21:44
Will be there on saturday probably see some of you lot, unless you see me first.

Blackal
09-03-07, 21:47
I tried booking online this evening......... The feckin' button for buying tickets is missing from the page :spitfire

So.......... they get another £3 for having a crap webpage:mad:

Cnuch of bnuts :spitfire

Al :(

Bumble Bee
09-03-07, 22:43

It took 3 days for my ticket to get to me. The booking is administered by the NEC Box Office in Birmingham.
Dare I suggest that you left it too late?????

BB

Deleted account rno
09-03-07, 22:49
I tried booking online this evening......... The feckin' button for buying tickets is missing from the page :spitfire

I tried to book on line yesterday but this facility stopped at 01:00 on 7.3.07. Yep, £3 fine for not getting my arse into gear sooner :thumb2

Uinneag
10-03-07, 07:04

HHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA HHHAAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.luds.net/galeries/nelson.gif

yellofello
10-03-07, 10:42
As I am off to the rugby, to watch IMHO one of the best rugby teams in the world at the moment :aidan lift the triple crown, I will be going tomorrow.

Will be looking for a new lid possibly, but my head may be a bit tender from todays activities.

That reminds me, need to fill the hip flask.

Deleted account rno
10-03-07, 14:05
I'm just back to get ready to go out on the lash :beer:

It was a wee bit busy at the show. £15 per head and £3 to park a car. I bumped into Coolcarbon, Rev Chuck, Kenny Rodkiss and arcboutant (in that order).

Some nice bikes at the KTM stand. Quite liked the new X range at the BMW range (bit pricey though). The new Ducati Hypermotard looks an impressive beast. Other than that, I didn't see much to get too excited about (especially not the Sponsors eye candy :eek: Bloody hell, they looked like a bunch of Leith smack-heads with shorts on)

Oh, I saved masel' a cool £50 on the rrp of a pair of Altberg Bandog boots :thumb2

mr moto
10-03-07, 14:07
the duke video stand at the show has both the terra circa and mondo enduro dvd,s i got them both,;) £36.00 quid for the pair ! . a better show than last year [ it could,nt be any worse ] but bloody hell it was like being in a sardine can, even at nine o,clock when the doors first opened :rob . having been to intermot last year :thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2 i dont think i will bother going back next year . the BMW stand was constantly mobbed, i suppose it was the first chance for a lot of people to check out the new g series 650,s.

Den
10-03-07, 15:35
Walked round, seen nothing interesting, bought nothing. Couldnt find a cloak room. Nobody had cloaks on, so presumably it wasnt required. Sweated buckets with full bike gear on . Went home.
Bad mistake, because Im supposed to be going tomorrow with my mates. I thought I would have a dawdle round myself today as half the time that your there with anyone else is spent trying not to get split up and lost.
I think I will wear tee shirt/shorts and flip flops tomorrow...and take up residence in the bar. ..... shit, im driving.

cunning fox
10-03-07, 16:46
did anyone else see Kevin Carmichael take a dive as he was warming up:eek:
concussed for 5 mins, hospital job.,i thought it was part o' the show. takin my son tomorrow to see if he does it again:augie

arcboutant
10-03-07, 18:02
Bumble Bee says
'It took 3 days for my ticket to get to me. The booking is administered by the NEC Box Office in Birmingham.
Dare I suggest that you left it too late?????'

DAMN I had to collect mine online pre-booked ticket at the b***** door. Twelve folk paid and passed while I waited for my ticket!!! :spitfire

Uinneag
10-03-07, 18:19
DAMN I had to collect mine online pre-booked ticket at the b***** door. Twelve folk paid and passed while I waited for my ticket!!! :spitfire

Thats what happens when yir a smartarse:D

arcboutant
10-03-07, 19:32
I the ladies ayewis said my erse looked no bad,lol :augie

Garryc
11-03-07, 13:45
....bought new customs ear plugs yesterday, other than that there very little to get excited about.

...Very few stalls selling quality gear - Wont be rushing back next year!!!

Wicker
11-03-07, 16:25
Scottish Bike Show has been getting smaller by the year with many of the stands very similar and/or selling crap. Very little in the way of good outdoor events or good quality bargains. Honda could not even be bothered to turn up with the area where their stand would have been taken over by a giant scalextrix set.

Carole Nash classic bike hall appeared to be the same bikes wheeled out into the same stand space as they have used for the last few years. Where are all the classic BMW's? Not one on show.

I enjoyed meeting & speaking to the Austin Vince of Mondo Enduro on the Travel Dri stand and also Nick Sanders however, apart from meeting a few friends, I found little else of interest. Got bored & left after 4 hours. Not really worth £15 + £3 parking.

Bumble Bee
11-03-07, 16:48
Carole Nash classic bike hall appeared to be the same bikes wheeled out into the same stand space as they have used for the last few years. Where are all the classic BMW's? Not one on show.

What about Peter Marshall's R69??

Must agree the show was pretty crap 'tho, as was the Scalextric set! :confused: :confused:

BB

wully
11-03-07, 19:53
I drove past the show today - and kept going. Went last year and thought it was a crappy show in an even crappier venue so won't be going back until it's somewhere decent. Like the SECC?

I did feel sorry for all the poor buggers hammering along the M8 in the pishing rain- must have been fun wandering about the show in gently steaming bike gear.

Anyway - I saw Charlie Boorman at Gatwick yesterday. So there:bow :bow :bow

Blackal
11-03-07, 20:36

I left my BoxerCupReplika at home :blast

I enjoyed meeting & speaking to the Austin Vince of Mondo Enduro on the Travel Dri stand and also Nick Sanders however, apart from meeting a few friends, I found little else of interest. Got bored & left after 4 hours. Not really worth £15 + £3 parking.

MetalMule stand was good - They might be £1300 for a complete set, but they are incredibly well designed/built :thumb2

Al (didn't buy anything. I saw a pair of Caberg boots that looked ideal for annexing Poland, but Ronno bought the last pair :blast )

Voyager
11-03-07, 21:53

There was this one :thumb2

The colour is a bit off - I set the Colour temp for 'fluorescent' then used a flash !

cutmorej
11-03-07, 23:26
As the title says we thought it was piss poor this year compared with the last time i was here (3 years ago) the stalls and trials was interesting then we headed for the stunt show, one rider practising ( k carmicheal) crashed his bike, swept off to hospital hope hes okay hence 1 ambulance to cover the whole show now off site hence no more stunt show pretty embarrasing was the whole episode so we dont think we will be back unless it gets itself into some kind of bike show just me and the gals input bring the arguments on :thumb2

arcboutant
12-03-07, 04:42
like you cutmorej , its several years since I was last there.I did think it was poor too, been sliding down hill for years,more like Kinross market getting and the coffee :blast .I do enjoy bumping into friends tho' , makes the day. :)

Uinneag
12-03-07, 07:36
.I do enjoy bumping into friends tho' , makes the day. :)

You just made that up:nono

The having friends bit:D

wully
12-03-07, 09:07
It was crap last year and the venue was even worse- It might be OK for the posh fermers show - but it is a tatty run down dump of a place.

I'll not be going back until it's moved to the SECC or somewhere.

Stumpy
12-03-07, 09:14
I quite enjoyed it this year. Lots to interest me

I got to see some new models I have only seen in mags

HD XR1200:thumb2
Duc Hypermoto:thumb2
Kawasaki GTR1400:thumb2
New Z1000(didnt much care for it compared to mine)
KTM 690:thumb2
1250 bandit, what a lot of bike for the money

Metal Mule:thumb2

Altberg(spelling?) really helpful and I may go to the factory for a custome fit due to my different shaped feet:thumb

Good to see the BMW stand always packed.

On the MAG stand we got a record number of new members

I guess we all expect different things from the show

Stumpy

Deleted account rno
12-03-07, 09:18
I guess we all expect different things from the show

Stumpy

Yeah...I was expecting to see you. What happened to you?

Uinneag
12-03-07, 09:26

Think he saw you first:hide

:D

Barrmill Biker
12-03-07, 09:34
Lippy and I where there on Saturday donít think the show was as good as past shows although we have not been for a two years but he biggest problem why the show is getting worse is what the exhibiters are being charged to put there goods on show.
Lippy runs here own sign and Exhibition Company and she was telling me the cost
for the smallest stand in a far of corner will cost you an arm and leg and so many of the smaller companies can no longer afford to attend these events and the price for getting in is now just getting outrageous it puts a lot of families can no longer afford
to go and this is increasing the prices across the board. My final rant for the morning
the cost of food tea and coffee if thatís what you can call it.

Apart from that got a good deal on my jacket and a pair of boots.

(Nostalgia is just not what it used to be):rob

SpyInTheCamp
12-03-07, 09:59
As ever, I quite enjoyed it.

£15 for me and the two kids for a load of entertainment seems good value. We arrived at 9am, saw the usual bike stuff inside, sat on a few bikes, bought a few odds and ends and then went outside - stunt bikes, stunt car thing (whish was better), freestyle MX, supermoto race and trials demo. :thumb2 Kids loved it. And so did I.

Kai

Stumpy
12-03-07, 11:38

if you mean the show I was there on Sunday.

If you mean last week:o sorry got tied up but hoping to pop over soon:thumb

Deleted account rno
12-03-07, 11:41

I meant the show. Knew when you didn't phone about the visit, you'd be tied up :thumb2

andrew taylor
12-03-07, 12:07
Went on the sunday, haven't been that bored for a long time!:( Fish & chips were the highlight of my day.

Stumpy, saw you in the distance but never got the chance to say hello!

Uinneag
12-03-07, 12:12

For a minute I thought you say hopping:eek:
And
What's he gone and done now:confused:

V2 TRV
12-03-07, 13:03
I passes it on the way to Murrayfield - not much happening - saw a few moto-crossers doing a few jumps and that was about it :nenau

Blackal
12-03-07, 13:28
I meant the show. Knew when you didn't phone about the visit, you'd be tied up :thumb2

Oooooh-err :eek:

Deleted account rno
12-03-07, 16:35
Oooooh-err :eek:

You know Al, sometimes I worry about you. You're hardly likely to stumble across that publication by accident...:rolleyes:

:thumb

Stumpy
12-03-07, 16:56
You know Al, sometimes I worry about you. You're hardly likely to stumble across that publication by accident...:rolleyes:

You get a free subscription with every R1100S:D

arcboutant
12-03-07, 18:29
Stumpy said
'Altberg(spelling?) really helpful and I may go to the factory for a custome fit due to my different shaped feet' -
been at the factory (bought my Bandogs there), as you say Andy , they are very helpful. A Liverpool couple I spoke to said previously they arrived unexpectedly and told the company that the wifes boots were getting tight around her legs, they were asked to wait an hour while pieces of leather were 'let in' to the boots and all was well. A good company.:thumb2

Good to see the BMW stand always packed.' - of course only decent machines there :rob

Deleted account rno
12-03-07, 18:35
A Liverpool couple I spoke to said previously they arrived unexpectedly and told the company that the wifes boots were getting tight around her legs, they were asked to wait an hour while pieces of leather were 'let in' to the boots and all was well. A good company.:thumb2

I had a similar problem with my Bandogs. Really tight around my legs. I rode down to the factory and the lassie behind the desk loosened the laces for me...

:blast

dunard
12-03-07, 19:46
Went Saturday 2-5 pm, which was my first ever visit, with two of my kids as well. Obviously couldn't use the bike, so took my big beemer out for its first leg-stretch for a while.

Laura (11) "Quite good, but George wanted to go on the quad bikes all the time."

George (9) "I liked sitting on the bikes with my Dad and the quad bikes!!!"

Seemed to be a lot of stalls selling gear, but not that many manufacturers' stands with totty.

dunard

Blackal
12-03-07, 20:06
You get a free subscription with every R1100S:D

I googled "male bondage" and that's what was coughed up.

It also mentioned you by name :ymca , but I was being discrete :rolleyes:

Blackal
12-03-07, 20:11

..........turns out that Altberg Boots are a major advertiser in the magazine :ymca

Uinneag
12-03-07, 20:13
Your lame excuse's and back peddling don't impress us Al :augie

Have you made a rod for your own back:ymca

Uinneag
12-03-07, 20:14
..........turns out that Altberg Boots are a major advertiser in the magazine :ymca

So you read it too:eek:

Stop digging:rob

Where else but in Scotland would you get a thread on a Bike Show and the subject gets turned onto bumbanditry:nenau

:D :D :D

Coolcarbon
12-03-07, 20:15
Your lame excuse's and back peddling don't impress us Al :augie

Have you made a rod for your own backpassage:ymca

Fixed it....:D

Blackal
12-03-07, 20:27
So you read it too:eek:
Where else but in Scotland would you get a thread on a Bike Show and the subject gets turned onto bumbanditry:nenau
:D :D :D

Do a search for posts by "Oonyack"......................... :ymca

.....definately a trend there..............:nenau

Uinneag
12-03-07, 20:28
Do a search for posts by "Oonyack"......................... :ymca

.....definately a trend there..............:nenau

Oi I've never been trendy in my life ya vegetarian:rob

Blackal
12-03-07, 20:45
Fixed it....:D

Sir!.........step away from the laptop!

Al :D

Stumpy
12-03-07, 23:43
I googled "male bondage" and that's what was coughed up.

It also mentioned you by name :ymca , but I was being discrete :rolleyes:

:bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1