PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Corfu - Route advice?

darren
18-06-02, 20:03
Hi Everyone

Trip to Corfu beginning 9th July is coming up fast and having had many a chat at Hawes, lots of routes were discussed over a beer or two.

Have got about 4 days to get to Brindisi, Italy for ferry to Kerkiyra and wondered if anyone know of an efficient, fun and interesting route to Italy. Should I go France, Germany, Switzerland and then Adriatic coast to Brindisi or head to South of France and run along past Monaco etc into Italy? This is my first BIG adventure on my Adv. and want to make it memorable. Could also vary route home too. Any advice and travel tips would be appreciated to a newie overlander!

I could just set off, of course and see what happens!!

Darren

JohnnyBoxer
18-06-02, 20:41
Hi Darren,
My advice would be to run down Eastern France into Switzerland/Austria through the Alps and into Northern Italy following the Adriatic coast down to Brindisi.
The Alps will be scenic , good fun and cooler than Monaco coast and South of France.My parents have returned this week from Monaco and it was 35-40 degrees - too hot for comfortable biking.
My route this week will take in France ,Germany, Austria into Hungary and then after Budapest , down to the flat plains of Hungary that are the start of the Great Russian Steppes , ending up in the bottom corner next to the Romanian/Serbian Border. Returninng back through Austria , Germany and France.
The GS1150 has now got 3000 miles on it and I hope to add another 3000+ in the next 2 weeks .
You can't beat bike touring in Europe , my best tip , up early and have breakfast and be on the road for 8.30-9 am each day while on route , as you get more ground covered in the morning and then pack it in and look for a hotel by 5-6 pm at the latest and drink plenty of water , so you don't dehydrate in the hot weather - here's a picture to whet your appetite

darren
18-06-02, 21:04
Hi John

You confirmed my original plans after many hours of 'playing with Autoroute! I get sadder as I get older! Thanks for the advice and you have a great trip. Ride safe.

Darren

darren
01-07-02, 22:15
Bug#er! I never knew that travelling in EU there will still places that required a passport to be valid for a period after entry. Just thought I would check out the countries I am visiting on my trip starting next week. Get this...

France, Germany, Swirtzerland, Italy and finally Greece. My passport expires in September 02 and apparently I cannot enter Germany because they insist that it has to have at least 4 months on it at the time of entry.

Off to Liverpool tomorrow now to pay 75 for a renewal!!!! Rip off Britain? Sorry, just a little sore at having to fork ourt 75 for a passport renewal in 4 hours. Could have got 1 week service for 60. That's more than the ferry to Greece.

...And I used to laugh at people leaving the passport thing to the last minute...doh!

Darren (Sixty quid less to spend on suntan creams) Hudson!

Iain Hogg
02-07-02, 11:23
And probably the only place your new passport will ever be looked at is on returning to dear old Blighty!

Iain

Costas Tsiringakis
06-07-02, 19:32
Hi MY NAME IS COSTAS AND I LIVE IN CORFU.
I WILL BE GLAD TO MEET YOU WHEN YOU GET HERE.
I OWN A PHOTO STUDIO ON THE NATIONAL ROAD OF PALEOKASTRITSA. NAMED CAPRICORN ( EYOKEROS IN GREEK )
YOU CAN FIND EASY BECAUSE IS ACROSS A BIG SUPERMAKET CALLED 'MARINOPOULOS ".
SEE YOU AROUND
COSTAS

darren
08-07-02, 23:21
Costas: Thanks for the invitation. I will certainly drop in and say "Hello". I arrive on Sunday and am staying in Lakones, near Paleokastritsa.

Hope to catch up with you soon.

Kind regards, Darren

:beerjug:

Costas Tsiringakis
09-07-02, 18:18
Hi, you finally made it .
Hope you had a good trip.
How long you are going to be here for ?
Hopefully I will have my GS send from Patra tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will be working in Moraitika.
I don't know how safe it will be to give you my mobile maybe you can give me your accomodations number.
Talk to you soon
costas