Anyone keen on a trip to the far North of Norway in mid-July 07??

OllieT

I'm off in the middle of July to Hammerfest/Nordkapp. Leaving Newcastle and taking the ferry to Bergen. Trouble is that so far I'm doing this on my own (wife not too keen on the pillion trip, but meeting her in Hammerfest).

Anyone keen to join me? Road and Ringes. Surely indicative of Heaven.

Oliver

Hi Ollie

I'm not able to join you but I did this trip in 2005 and am happy to answer any questions or make suggestions.

Cheers:thumb2

Gav

Been as far as Arctic Circle, but didn't have time to make Nordkapp unfortunately. Bon voyage

To Nordkapp and don't spare the horse

Thanks Gav, that will be very useful.

Did you try and camp as much as possible, or arrange B&B's on the way? I'm really looking forward to it.

Oliver

I'm heading up there too but I couldn't wait until July (too impatient) and am going at the end of June. You should have slightly warmer weather than I :eek:

Maybe see you as you're heading back down. I'll look for the big grin.

tempted, very tempted

Mate what sort of itinerary, miles per day etc are you looking to do. Any idea how much you reckon it will cost. Just a guesstimate to get an idea right now if I can even think about it. If camping is the plan I have no problem there.

I've only been on the bike for a year (soon). Mind you I've done about 12K miles since then including a 10 day tour around Wales and England. I'm a bit concerned that I'd be too slow and inexperienced. No offence taken if that's how it sounds to yourself.

Being my first time there I'd be inclined to stop for a few pics. In fact I doubt I'd be able to stop myself! :) Just a heads up that I'm a bit of a "Tourist" rather than an Endurance rider.:augie

I'm in Bergen at the moment and the whole country looks very tempting. Once it *actually* stops raining;)

Norway's calling...

Mate what sort of itinerary, miles per day etc are you looking to do. Any idea how much you reckon it will cost. Just a guesstimate to get an idea right now if I can even think about it. If camping is the plan I have no problem there.

I've only been on the bike for a year (soon). Mind you I've done about 12K miles since then including a 10 day tour around Wales and England. I'm a bit concerned that I'd be too slow and inexperienced. No offence taken if that's how it sounds to yourself.

Being my first time there I'd be inclined to stop for a few pics. In fact I doubt I'd be able to stop myself! :) Just a heads up that I'm a bit of a "Tourist" rather than an Endurance rider.:augie

I reckon it will take about 3-4 days to get there. I'm in the process of planning a route at the moment, so I hope to have a clearer idea of miles per day quite soon. Seriously, don't worry about being too slow. Speed limits in Norway are on the slow side and the cops are quite heavy with the fines i.e. they carry credit card machines. In any case going too fast would mean you'd miss the scenery.

I highly recommend the place, the roads are awesome. I'm going to camp as much as possible (on eBay bidding for a tent as I write).

As far as pictures are concerned, me too. I'm going to skimp on changes of clothes so that I can carry more camera gear.

What do you think? tempted enough?

Cheers
Oliver

I reckon it will take about 3-4 days to get there. I'm in the process of planning a route at the moment, so I hope to have a clearer idea of miles per day quite soon. Seriously, don't worry about being too slow. Speed limits in Norway are on the slow side and the cops are quite heavy with the fines i.e. they carry credit card machines. In any case going too fast would mean you'd miss the scenery.

I highly recommend the place, the roads are awesome. I'm going to camp as much as possible (on eBay bidding for a tent as I write).

As far as pictures are concerned, me too. I'm going to skimp on changes of clothes so that I can carry more camera gear.

What do you think? tempted enough?

Cheers
Oliver

Yup, very much so. Just checking out Ferry etc. Keep me posted with details as you sort them either through this thread or PM's.

You sound a more keen Photographer than me, I'm a happy snapper in the top pocket kind of person but i take a lot of photos. I figure with quantity I should be able to scrape together some quality! :augie

Ollie,

Yes, I camped whenever possible but also used the odd guesthouse and hostels. The huts at the campsites were very useful when it rained. I was away for 27 days and I think I had 3 days without rain. As for arranging accomodation in advance- only the overnight ferries. It's more flexible to decide this as you go.

I reckon it will take about 3-4 days to get there.
To get where exactly?

If you become a site sponsor for a tenner (is it still a tenner?), then we can exchange P.M.s and I can supply my phone number if you like. I've got a break down of the route somewhere. Looking through it should bring back memories.

Gav:thumb2

Ollie,

Yes, I camped whenever possible but also used the odd guesthouse and hostels. The huts at the campsites were very useful when it rained. I was away for 27 days and I think I had 3 days without rain. As for arranging accomodation in advance- only the overnight ferries. It's more flexible to decide this as you go.

To get where exactly?

If you become a site sponsor for a tenner (is it still a tenner?), then we can exchange P.M.s and I can supply my phone number if you like. I've got a break down of the route somewhere. Looking through it should bring back memories.

Cheers
Oliver

Gav:thumb2

3-4 days was an estimate from Bergen to Hammerfest. Do you think this would be too rapid progress to enjoy the scenery? Easy to extend this.

If you could get a break down of your route that would be terrific, thanks. I'll look into becomign a site sponsor. There seems to be a lot of useful help I can get out of this site; and maybe give.

I think I would allow a bit more time if you want to enjoy the scenery and get a feel for the place. I was riding two-up so was maybe a bit slower. I also like to have the odd day off the bike. If you're on your own, you might be less inclined to hang about in a place. It just seems a shame to go somewhere like that and not make the most of it.

I'd defiinitely think about becoming a sponsor. It doesn't cost that much and that way I could give you my phone number if you want to ask any questions.

Gav

Hi Ollie:)

I had a wee look at my notes from the trip. 3 to 4 days for Bergen to Hammerfest is definitely too short. I would suggest AT LEAST 5 to 6 days. I perhaps didn't take the fastest route but I avoided one or two of the longer tunnels and also took the Golden Route and the Trollstigen which are worth seeing.:bow Bike magazine recently rated the Trollstigen as one of the most dangerous roads in the world so be careful if you do go this way.

As I said, I've got notes of the route and where I stayed with mileages but I'd have to dig them out.

Will P.M. you.:thumb2

Gavin

Using the ViaMichelin map, Bergen to Hammerfest is 2294km and the driving time is given as 34hrs 23min :) . The driving time is literally that - driving time, no stops for :monkeypiz 'ing or owt else :eek:

If you do it, have a safe trip :beerjug:

Using the ViaMichelin map, Bergen to Hammerfest is 2294km and the driving time is given as 34hrs 23min :) . The driving time is literally that - driving time, no stops for :monkeypiz 'ing or owt else :eek:

There's no need for pee if there is no time for :beer: so it adds up.
-Would you like to meet me and Knut at Flåm in July?
There's a nice spot with :beer: and a view for the mainroad; -lets sit down and relax and se the tarmac heroes pass by and enjoy our selfes! :beerjug:
24-25 July - write it on your calendar now!:clap

:) Liv.

I may be on my way back by then, so would love to pop by Flam and visit. My poor GS will be quite tired I think and in need of Dr Ringnes

Thank Liv

Cheers

Oliver

I think you're right. I'll take the shorter route. Shrimpo, you in? When's the ferry closest to 14th July? I think I'll take that one. Meet you in Newcastle. I'll be the one with the big grin and the heavy bike.

Oliver

Room for another? Due North!!

I am interested in the idea of heading up the map. Need some idea of the budget you are working to though. Have you done any sums yet? Can you post or pm pls.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom