PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keen on a trip to the far North of Norway in mid-July 07??

OllieT
13-03-07, 17:20
I'm off in the middle of July to Hammerfest/Nordkapp. Leaving Newcastle and taking the ferry to Bergen. Trouble is that so far I'm doing this on my own (wife not too keen on the pillion trip, but meeting her in Hammerfest).

Anyone keen to join me? Road and Ringes. Surely indicative of Heaven.

Oliver

Gav
14-03-07, 09:31
Hi Ollie

I'm not able to join you but I did this trip in 2005 and am happy to answer any questions or make suggestions.

Cheers:thumb2

Gav

Putneybiker
14-03-07, 09:34
Been as far as Arctic Circle, but didn't have time to make Nordkapp unfortunately. Bon voyage

OllieT
14-03-07, 11:08
Thanks Gav, that will be very useful.

Did you try and camp as much as possible, or arrange B&B's on the way? I'm really looking forward to it.

Oliver

greencat
14-03-07, 12:23
I'm heading up there too but I couldn't wait until July (too impatient) and am going at the end of June. You should have slightly warmer weather than I :eek:

OllieT
14-03-07, 13:29
Maybe see you as you're heading back down. I'll look for the big grin.

Shrimpo
14-03-07, 17:40
Mate what sort of itinerary, miles per day etc are you looking to do. Any idea how much you reckon it will cost. Just a guesstimate to get an idea right now if I can even think about it. If camping is the plan I have no problem there.

I've only been on the bike for a year (soon). Mind you I've done about 12K miles since then including a 10 day tour around Wales and England. I'm a bit concerned that I'd be too slow and inexperienced. No offence taken if that's how it sounds to yourself.

Being my first time there I'd be inclined to stop for a few pics. In fact I doubt I'd be able to stop myself! :) Just a heads up that I'm a bit of a "Tourist" rather than an Endurance rider.:augie

Slowdown
14-03-07, 18:32
I'm in Bergen at the moment and the whole country looks very tempting. Once it *actually* stops raining;)

OllieT
14-03-07, 18:49
Mate what sort of itinerary, miles per day etc are you looking to do. Any idea how much you reckon it will cost. Just a guesstimate to get an idea right now if I can even think about it. If camping is the plan I have no problem there.

I've only been on the bike for a year (soon). Mind you I've done about 12K miles since then including a 10 day tour around Wales and England. I'm a bit concerned that I'd be too slow and inexperienced. No offence taken if that's how it sounds to yourself.

Being my first time there I'd be inclined to stop for a few pics. In fact I doubt I'd be able to stop myself! :) Just a heads up that I'm a bit of a "Tourist" rather than an Endurance rider.:augie

I reckon it will take about 3-4 days to get there. I'm in the process of planning a route at the moment, so I hope to have a clearer idea of miles per day quite soon. Seriously, don't worry about being too slow. Speed limits in Norway are on the slow side and the cops are quite heavy with the fines i.e. they carry credit card machines. In any case going too fast would mean you'd miss the scenery.

I highly recommend the place, the roads are awesome. I'm going to camp as much as possible (on eBay bidding for a tent as I write).

As far as pictures are concerned, me too. I'm going to skimp on changes of clothes so that I can carry more camera gear.

What do you think? tempted enough?

Cheers
Oliver

Shrimpo
15-03-07, 13:22
I reckon it will take about 3-4 days to get there. I'm in the process of planning a route at the moment, so I hope to have a clearer idea of miles per day quite soon. Seriously, don't worry about being too slow. Speed limits in Norway are on the slow side and the cops are quite heavy with the fines i.e. they carry credit card machines. In any case going too fast would mean you'd miss the scenery.

I highly recommend the place, the roads are awesome. I'm going to camp as much as possible (on eBay bidding for a tent as I write).

As far as pictures are concerned, me too. I'm going to skimp on changes of clothes so that I can carry more camera gear.

What do you think? tempted enough?

Cheers
Oliver

Yup, very much so. Just checking out Ferry etc. Keep me posted with details as you sort them either through this thread or PM's.

You sound a more keen Photographer than me, I'm a happy snapper in the top pocket kind of person but i take a lot of photos. I figure with quantity I should be able to scrape together some quality! :augie

Gav
15-03-07, 13:56
Ollie,

Yes, I camped whenever possible but also used the odd guesthouse and hostels. The huts at the campsites were very useful when it rained. I was away for 27 days and I think I had 3 days without rain. As for arranging accomodation in advance- only the overnight ferries. It's more flexible to decide this as you go.

I reckon it will take about 3-4 days to get there.
To get where exactly?

If you become a site sponsor for a tenner (is it still a tenner?), then we can exchange P.M.s and I can supply my phone number if you like. I've got a break down of the route somewhere. Looking through it should bring back memories.

Gav:thumb2

OllieT
15-03-07, 15:00
Ollie,

Yes, I camped whenever possible but also used the odd guesthouse and hostels. The huts at the campsites were very useful when it rained. I was away for 27 days and I think I had 3 days without rain. As for arranging accomodation in advance- only the overnight ferries. It's more flexible to decide this as you go.

To get where exactly?

If you become a site sponsor for a tenner (is it still a tenner?), then we can exchange P.M.s and I can supply my phone number if you like. I've got a break down of the route somewhere. Looking through it should bring back memories.

Cheers
Oliver

Gav:thumb2

3-4 days was an estimate from Bergen to Hammerfest. Do you think this would be too rapid progress to enjoy the scenery? Easy to extend this.

If you could get a break down of your route that would be terrific, thanks. I'll look into becomign a site sponsor. There seems to be a lot of useful help I can get out of this site; and maybe give.

Gav
15-03-07, 16:12
I think I would allow a bit more time if you want to enjoy the scenery and get a feel for the place. I was riding two-up so was maybe a bit slower. I also like to have the odd day off the bike. If you're on your own, you might be less inclined to hang about in a place. It just seems a shame to go somewhere like that and not make the most of it.

I'd defiinitely think about becoming a sponsor. It doesn't cost that much and that way I could give you my phone number if you want to ask any questions.

Gav

OllieT
15-03-07, 16:50
Now a site sponsor.

That was remarkably easy.

Gav
16-03-07, 11:51
Hi Ollie:)

I had a wee look at my notes from the trip. 3 to 4 days for Bergen to Hammerfest is definitely too short. I would suggest AT LEAST 5 to 6 days. I perhaps didn't take the fastest route but I avoided one or two of the longer tunnels and also took the Golden Route and the Trollstigen which are worth seeing.:bow Bike magazine recently rated the Trollstigen as one of the most dangerous roads in the world so be careful if you do go this way.

As I said, I've got notes of the route and where I stayed with mileages but I'd have to dig them out.

Will P.M. you.:thumb2

Gavin

kbada
22-03-07, 12:59
Using the ViaMichelin map, Bergen to Hammerfest is 2294km and the driving time is given as 34hrs 23min :) . The driving time is literally that - driving time, no stops for :monkeypiz 'ing or owt else :eek:

If you do it, have a safe trip :beerjug:

Liv,Norway
22-03-07, 14:56
Using the ViaMichelin map, Bergen to Hammerfest is 2294km and the driving time is given as 34hrs 23min :) . The driving time is literally that - driving time, no stops for :monkeypiz 'ing or owt else :eek:

There's no need for pee if there is no time for :beer: so it adds up.
-Would you like to meet me and Knut at Flm in July?
There's a nice spot with :beer: and a view for the mainroad; -lets sit down and relax and se the tarmac heroes pass by and enjoy our selfes! :beerjug:
24-25 July - write it on your calendar now!:clap

:) Liv.

OllieT
22-03-07, 23:24
I may be on my way back by then, so would love to pop by Flam and visit. My poor GS will be quite tired I think and in need of Dr Ringnes

Thank Liv

Cheers

Oliver

OllieT
22-03-07, 23:27

I think you're right. I'll take the shorter route. Shrimpo, you in? When's the ferry closest to 14th July? I think I'll take that one. Meet you in Newcastle. I'll be the one with the big grin and the heavy bike.

Oliver

Tractorpilot
26-03-07, 19:38
I am interested in the idea of heading up the map. Need some idea of the budget you are working to though. Have you done any sums yet? Can you post or pm pls.

Thanks

Tractorpilot
26-03-07, 21:45
Ollie
Sent you a PM with some budget guesstimates - is that what you were thinking?

OllieT
27-03-07, 07:41
Hi Tractor pilot

Haven't got your PM yet, so will reply to this thread.

Budget is still sketchy, but I hope this will be of some help. I think the boat over will cost around 400 including cabin (not booked yet). The date I plan to leave is, rather unfortunately, Friday 13th July.

The plan once in Norway is to try and cut down on accomodation expenses as much as is prudent, by taking along a tent. Also along the route are opportunties to stay with people (Wife's family is Norwegian). This may be useful for our first day out of Bergen, as there could be a stop in Nordfjoreid (really great little town overlooking a fjord). Also, upon reaching the frozen North I have friends in Hammerfest.

Liv mentioned in a previous posting that it is perfectly legal to pitch a tent wherever in 'the nature' for a maximum of two days. Fuel wise I've made no estimates, but that's less of a concern.

You been to Norway before? Awesome roads.

Here's t'Norway

Cheers

Oliver

Tractorpilot
27-03-07, 07:58
Looked into the costs a bit now. This is what I came up with - what do you reckon? If youhave different numbers let me know

Ferry Dept Newcastle 13th July Arr Bergen 14th July

5-6 days travel north (looks about 14-1500 miles = 5 days at 300miles a day or 6 at 250 miles a day)

Arrive Hammerfestabout Friday 20th July
Chill (not too much I hope) for the weekend
Leave Monday 23rd on return journey arrive Friday or Saturday for Sat 28th sailing to Newcastle
Ferry price I saw was 421

call it 1500 miles each way with messing about means 3000 miles
a web site said fuel costs are similar to UK so I guess
fuel cost 250 - 300

Say total 700 so far

Living cost - no idea (XX per day) for 13 or 14 days
at 20 => 280
at 30 => 420
etc

I reckon you are probably budgetting at least a grand

How am I doing so far? BTW still interested!

That was the last PM.

I have never visited Norway but was looking last night at the tourist web sites for Norway/Finnmark and Hammerfest and then on YouTube (search on Norway/North Cape/Nordkapp/Moto) and saw some interesting clips
I did three bike trips outside the UK last summer (first timer) to Italy and back in a week, a week in Ireland and a week in Northern Spain all different and all fun. This would be the next step for me.

Like some stills photo opportunities but mainly into video (some bits on YouTube from last summer) so that could work out pretty well.

Nice to hear you have some friendly places to stop en-route. I think that makes a trip better. Have you looked at a route on Autoroute or Mapsource or similar yet? If you have I would like to see it. I will send another PM with my e-mail address.

Neil:bounce1

OllieT
27-03-07, 09:16
Hi Neil

Thanks for sending that through. Actually I am planning on asking another UK GS member for the route that he did up the Nordkapp. In addition I have a map of Norway at home that I have been using to plot a route. I may also treat myself to Sat-nav before July.

Thanks for sending through your cost breakdown. With regards overnight stops, it looks quite realistic and a ngiht or two in a tent may bring that down further.

I am hoping to perhaps vist the Lofoten islands on the way back to catch the ferry on the 28th. My mother-in-law tells me they're incredible. I'm taking camera and vid-camera gear, as well as plenty of gaffer tape to stick it onto my tank.

As for me, I've been to Norway three times on my bike, but usually heading straight to Oslo from Bergen (last trip was Bergen, Oslo, Stockholm, Tallinn, Riga, Kaunas, Poland, Germany, home).

I'll PM my e-mail address and phone number. I'll be on MSN messenger tonight I think.

I think this could be a winner.

Cheers

Oliver

Tractorpilot
27-03-07, 11:33
I like the sound of that but looking at the map I cannot tell whether there will be enough time. Looking at the other posts and guesstimating distances, Via Michelen gives recommended route Bergen-Hammerfest 2300 km and 35 hours (ish) or 5-6 hours a day in the saddle for 6 days before any diversions. I was also wondering if you were planning to go up and back on the same route (ish) or cut inland coming back through Sweden - not hat it really matters to me.

Looking good but you need to have a plan (so you can ignore it because you are on holiday).

:D

Neil

OllieT
27-03-07, 13:11
According to others' posts and the relatives who infrequently come back to Oslo using the Swedish route (which admittedly is quicker, allowing for longer 'up north') it is pretty boring in comparison. I was planning using roughly the same route back, using more of the E6 if time gets scarce.

Having secured sufficient time off work, the route is the next thing. I'll contact Gav and ask him nicely for his route. We can then work from that and add-in or cut-out bits as appropriate to suit timing.

With regards Lofoten, perhaps the best thing is to see whether we have sufficient time once we've reached the north. Whaddaya reckon?

Cheers

Oliver

Tractorpilot
27-03-07, 13:21
:thumb :thumb :thumb

OllieT
27-03-07, 14:11
I'm going ahead and booking the 13th returning 29th ferry this afternoon.

Nice

OT

Gav
27-03-07, 15:25
Hi Ollie & Tractorpilot

Sounds like a great trip.:thumb2

Ollie, did you get my P.M. I sent the other week? If you didn't get Tractor's either, perhaps there's something up.
I'm happy to give advice or tips. I dug out notes from my route the other day. If you didn't get my P.M. which had my phone no., perhaps you could give me your e-mail address and I could contact you that way.

I can't stress enought that Norway is slow going. Give yourselves plenty of time. It's much more enjoyable to be ahead of time and take in the scenery than to be chasing your tail.

Ollie, interesting to hear that you've ridden from Bergen to Oslo and onto Stockholm, then the Baltic states. I'm planning to do a similar journey this summer. Maybe you could give me tips as well.

Cheers

Gav

Tractorpilot
27-03-07, 17:50
I have just booked too.

Start counting the days - need to get one them thar ticker things like what Whatton's got

:thumb :thumb :clap :bounce1 :jibber

Neil

OllieT
28-03-07, 07:59
Nice one.

I'm e-mailing the Hannerfest bunch to get some idea of what weather conditions we can expect.

OllieT
28-03-07, 12:21
Hi Ollie & Tractorpilot

Sounds like a great trip.:thumb2

Ollie, did you get my P.M. I sent the other week? If you didn't get Tractor's either, perhaps there's something up.
I'm happy to give advice or tips. I dug out notes from my route the other day. If you didn't get my P.M. which had my phone no., perhaps you could give me your e-mail address and I could contact you that way.

I can't stress enought that Norway is slow going. Give yourselves plenty of time. It's much more enjoyable to be ahead of time and take in the scenery than to be chasing your tail.

Ollie, interesting to hear that you've ridden from Bergen to Oslo and onto Stockholm, then the Baltic states. I'm planning to do a similar journey this summer. Maybe you could give me tips as well.

Cheers

Gav

Hi Gav

I'm happy to share my notes from the Baltics. It was a great ride and one, were I to ride it again, I would do less quickly. Trouble was that I spent longer in Oslo (100th anniversary of Norway's independance) than I was meant too so had to up the pace on my way back. Still, I managed to spend a leisurely day in Tallinn though, which is a stunning place. The roads really vary in quality, depending on how much money the EU has stumped up to tarmac them. I enclose my e-mail address: oliver_tinkler@yahoo.co.uk

Would really appreciate whatever route and notes you have on the trip to the North.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

Oliver

Gav
28-03-07, 12:39
Ollie

Have you not received any P.M.s since you became a member?:nenau
At the right hand side of the screen below Welcome OllieT, is it continuing to say Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0?

I've just had a P.M. from Tractorpilot who also seems to be unable to contact you.

I'll take a note of your e-mail address and try contacting you that way.:thumb2

Gav

Tractorpilot
28-03-07, 15:56
Are either of you guys at Llangollen or The Gathering of The Clans?

Neil

OllieT
29-03-07, 07:32
Haven't heard of either of those meetings, but then I'm quite new to this forum.

Good news is that I managed to get my PMs. Reinstalled a couple of things on my errant PC last night and it now displays messages. Result.

I'll put together an e-mail about my Baltic blast this weekend if that's ok. Work seems to be taking rather a lot of my time up at the moment.

I'm thinking of doing that BMW off-Road skills course. Anyone ever done it?

Cheers

OT

Tractorpilot
29-03-07, 07:50
Doing it with 2 friends 17th/18th August

Edit = See National Events section of Board for info on the two meets (or link at top of page for Llang.

johntp
10-04-07, 18:52
ollie i will defo interested in joining you,can you let me know how long you are going for and aprox on how much would it cost as my holidays are runing out ,cheers mate

Tractorpilot
10-04-07, 20:23
Looked into the costs a bit now. This is what I came up with - what do you reckon? If youhave different numbers let me know

Ferry Dept Newcastle 13th July Arr Bergen 14th July

5-6 days travel north (looks about 14-1500 miles = 5 days at 300miles a day or 6 at 250 miles a day)

Arrive Hammerfestabout Friday 20th July
Chill (not too much I hope) for the weekend
Leave Monday 23rd on return journey arrive Friday or Saturday for Sat 28th sailing to Newcastle
Ferry price I saw was 421

call it 1500 miles each way with messing about means 3000 miles
a web site said fuel costs are similar to UK so I guess
fuel cost 250 - 300

Say total 700 so far

Living cost - no idea (XX per day) for 13 or 14 days
at 20 => 280
at 30 => 420
etc

I reckon you are probably budgetting at least a grand

How am I doing so far? BTW still interested!

That was the last PM.

I have never visited Norway but was looking last night at the tourist web sites for Norway/Finnmark and Hammerfest and then on YouTube (search on Norway/North Cape/Nordkapp/Moto) and saw some interesting clips
I did three bike trips outside the UK last summer (first timer) to Italy and back in a week, a week in Ireland and a week in Northern Spain all different and all fun. This would be the next step for me.

Like some stills photo opportunities but mainly into video (some bits on YouTube from last summer) so that could work out pretty well.

Nice to hear you have some friendly places to stop en-route. I think that makes a trip better. Have you looked at a route on Autoroute or Mapsource or similar yet? If you have I would like to see it. I will send another PM with my e-mail address.

Neil:bounce1

Hope this answers most of it. Two of us booked now. Still working out the rest of the cunning plan!

johntp
10-04-07, 20:36
ollie so what r your plans,can you let me know cheers !

OllieT
12-04-07, 17:03
Hi John

Thanks for the post. They're the same as Neil's (Tractorpilot).

Ferry leaving Newcastle on 13th July to reach Bergen on the 14th. Then we're up to the North and back again to return to the UK on the Ferry whcih leaves Bergen on the 19th?

Interested? Should be a good trip. I'm riding an R1150GS Adventure, so you two R1200GS will outclass my farm-machinery.

Sorry this message is short, but you still interested. Should be an awesome trip.

Thanks

Oliver

Trolls, Tarmac and Totty.

Rampant Stallion
12-04-07, 17:37
I went there in the long, hot summer of 2003. Unfortunately I went late May/early June. This, I found out was a bit too early as the Trollstigen and a few other good roads were still closed. I got as far as the Arctic Circle in a white-out kind of blizzard, took shelter in the (igloo shaped) visitor centre and headed back down south. An Italian chap was just leaving there and continuing up north. The time of year that you're going will be as good as it gets.
Speed limits are stupidly low - 70 kph ( 42 mph) and the cops are waiting. They're generally on the way into a town or village, but sometimes on the open road. There's not much for them to do, so are keen to bag a speeder or two.
If there're a few of you, the best accommodation would be the Hutte. They are everywhere (most campsites have them) and are very reasonable (almost said cheap). They vary between a large garden shed and very nice log cabin. A good place to dry your gear overnight (as you will surely have to at some point) which you can't do in a tent. They usually have a small kitchen with cooker, bunk beds (take a sheet sleeping bag) and some form of heating - very snug.
Beer from supermarkets is not too badly priced, but you could take a bottle or two of your favourite stronger stuff.
Scenery is fantastic so no point in rushing. E6 is the main drag north but there are other minor roads. Enjoy :thumb2

Tractorpilot
12-04-07, 19:30
Thanks for the info RS - all of it helps us get the best out of the trip!!:thumb

Farmer Palmer
12-04-07, 21:21
I went up to the Nordkapp 1st june 2003, we got there on the fourth evening after riding up from Haugesund, they were pretty long days and it was freezing, the Nordkapp was pretty deserted when we arrived!:eek:

We leave on the 20th May this time and will see how far we get but instead of the GS it'll be by Landrover Defender but it all depends on the weather, the first destination is the Arctic Circle and if the weathers good then maybe we can make it up to Kirkenes and on to the Russian Border.If it's bad then there will be plenty to see in Southern Norway and maybe Sweden!!:thumb2

Deleted Account 180923001
13-04-07, 06:46
Ferry leaving Newcastle on 13th July to reach Bergen on the 14th. Then we're up to the North and back again to return to the UK on the Ferry whcih leaves Bergen on the 19th?

Trolls, Tarmac and Totty.

....up to the Nord Kapp and return in 5 days !!............you can do it but you're not giving yourself any time at all to take in the fantastic
scenery and relax on some brilliant roads.

Gordo'

Tractorpilot
13-04-07, 11:19
I'm going ahead and booking the 13th returning 29th ferry this afternoon.

Nice

OT

Anyway that is what I have booked on the ferry

Neil

OllieT
16-04-07, 15:16
He's right. I meant the 28th July. Plenty of time.

OT

Gav
18-04-07, 10:52
Hi Ollie

I sent you a P.M. with phone no. but haven't heard from you. I'll try and send an e-mail to the address you left.

I suggest you try and get hold of Norway's Arctic Highway by John Douglas which covers the Bloddveist from Mo to Kirkenes. It'll certainly get you in the mood.

OllieT
19-04-07, 07:23
Hi Ollie

I sent you a P.M. with phone no. but haven't heard from you. I'll try and send an e-mail to the address you left.

I suggest you try and get hold of Norway's Arctic Highway by John Douglas which covers the Bloddveist from Mo to Kirkenes. It'll certainly get you in the mood.

Hi Gav

Thanks for your message. I've just bought that book (only 1 left on amazon). I'll check my PMs and let you know whether I got your message. Definitely would be good to talk before we head off. Thanks for your offer.

Oliver

Tractorpilot
19-04-07, 11:05
I've just bought that book (only 1 left on amazon).
Oliver
Have to borrow yours then!

Liv,Norway
19-04-07, 11:48
I'm at Flm 24-26th of July...
If Knut and I ride north from Flm 26th I guess there is a risk to meet on the road? ;)

:) Liv.

Tractorpilot
19-04-07, 17:57
I am working out a possible route at the moment and will see what we can do. I should have a draft plan in a week or two. Then we will have something to ignore!

Liv,Norway
20-04-07, 22:32
I am working out a possible route at the moment ... ...then we will have something to ignore!:P
Soon we know where you are NOT going to ride, then!

:beerjug: Liv.

bmwemgee
23-04-07, 07:20
Hello Ollie
I have made one attempt at the trip several years ago but was sadly ill-prepared in the map department and after getting dis-orientated in Essen and log jammed in Sunday traffic heading on further up I decided to abandon trip. Having since equipped myself with gps and a lower mileage r80 rt I may well make another attempt later this year .....tenting etc ...with a view to getting at least halfway but no further than Lofoten isles. I am first heading up there with a caravan accompanied by wife and hope to post an update on return....Graham.

rugbug
23-04-07, 15:43
Just booked my first trip to Norway yesterday, having had to abandon Pyrenees trip due to ferry trouble (see previous threads).

Depart 10 June for 13 days. 434 return for two bikes, Newcastle to Stavanger. If you are thinking of going this Summer I would strongly urge you to book NOW as everything is selling pretty quick right now and your choices will become very limited.

We are camping on this trip as the country is infested with sites and won't be a problem finding anywhere to stay, though I intend to book some ahead if we can.

Originally wanted to go to Hammerfest, but have now decided that there is pleanty of amazing stuff around the south of Norway, but will be heading across the Arctic Circle to get to the Lotofen Islands which look pretty amazing and worth the ferry ride from Bodo. That will be as far north as we go.

May see some of you out there. With or without a pint!