R1200GS - Sat Nav Help.

Brynrevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need SatNav !!. Anyone suggest a solution for a !200GS - Anyone got any photos of a system in situ. I have very basic questions about where to mount the holder etc. All help gratefully received !

If you search the GPS forum for the word 'mount' or 'bracket' you will find enough pictures and information to keep you quiet for some time.

I need SatNav !!. Anyone suggest a solution for a !200GS - Anyone got any photos of a system in situ. I have very basic questions about where to mount the holder etc. All help gratefully received !

What sort of GS do you have, big / small?

What sort of GPS do you have?

GPS

I haven't yet, I have a car based TomTom so ideally a TomTom solution would be good, either rider or as an add on to a PDA (TT Nav. 6). Having though about it a PDA would be a better bet, I could use that for other things as well. Would a PDA with Bluetooth deliver to a bluetooth headset/earpiece ?

Here's my Garmin mounted to my 1200GS with my cheapo homemade mounting bracket.

:thumb2

If you go for a PDA-based installation, you are looking at a very clumsy item, as you have to ensure that it is waterproof and the power cable (wafer connection combined with the comms) is supported. They are fragile as feck!

If you have a GS - get a Zumo or a 2610 (both by Garmin).

Al
:thumb2

Brynrevs,
Had a Tomtom PDA, binned that got a Tomtom classic. Good piece of kit in car, not so on a bike.
Bought a rider, what a mistake, bluetooth patchy to p**s poor. Software buggy (why when there other stuff is so good?) No car speaker got a supertooth, bluetooth again PP, great with just about any phone though (Supertooth not the rider).
Sold both the Classic Go and the Tomtom Rider and got a Zumo 550, car speaker, all Europe maps, bluetooth that works every time.
Pricey bit of kit, you may want to wait for a while, I'm well impressed.

Garmin backup is second to none, Tomtom there is none, or so it would appear.

Heres my 2610 mounted using a Ram Mount

Attachments

• Ram Mount 002.jpg
    Ram Mount 002.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,523
  • Ram Mount 003.jpg
    Ram Mount 003.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,163
Thanks all - the photo of the 2610 seems to be exactly what I want. Forget TT then and go for the Garmin I think. Really difficult area this at least I can visulise this on "my"bike now.:thumb

Right done some research on t'internet. I've found one c/w the RAM bracket and various bits and pieces for 239.00 delivered is this a good price ?!!!!

How does this connect to the pwer supply on the bike ?

Sorry about all these quetions !

Which model for 239 quid?

The 2610 is discontinued, seem to be hard to find these days. A very good unit nonetheless, and if that's what you've found then the price seems OK if it includes everything needed to mount it on the bike. Not the best price, but less than the 425 I paid for mine about a year ago :)

As far as power goes, you have a couple of options. If your bike has a beak power socket you could put a BMW style plug on the Garmin power lead and use that. If not you can get the power socket kit from BMW for about £15.

Or you can use the GPS power connector that's just behind the headstock, but you'll need to bodge a connector for this, or buy the BMW power lead which is expensive.

Do a search in this forum, there is lots of good info :)

* Our 2610 Special Offer bundle contains the 2610 Streetpilot, a RAM mount, a Garmin Power Cable to connect the unit to your bike, headphone socket and a Deluxe Case, in addition to all the accessories contained in the 2610 box for use in the car. These extra accessories normally sell for £82.00 but are included with the 2610 for an additional £50.00 only

From the website.

If you look on this thread you'll see my Garmin Zumo 550 fitted on a Motorradconcepts mount on my R1200GS. I'm delighted with the end result.

J

I also have the Motorrad Concepts bracket, with a Street Pilot III on it. Fantastic piece of kit, extremely well made, and will fit all Garmins if I am correct.
Lloyd.

Originally had a Tomtom Rider on my GS. Horrible mount and did not think much of the GPS. Changed to Garmin 2720 and here is the mount saga.

1 - RAM mount and Garmin bracket on screen tube.

2 - Motorrad Concepts mount and Garmin baracket.

I liked solution 2 but Garmin bracket was fiddly to use and after gps dropped off as the little screw came loose I bought a Touratech bracket. Much better but could not use the Motarrad Concepts mount with it.

3 - Touratech bar across clocks - obscured clocks too much.

4 - As I fitted Adventure screen tried Touratech bar that fits on higher screen tubes - vibrated like crazy.

5 - RAM mount on left bar with Touratech bracket. Perfect. Easy to fit and remove GPS, easy to touch screen (even when moving), doesn't vibrate.

Powering is easy. To the left of the headstock, find the wiring loom. There is a lump in it where BMW have fitted the socket for their own satnav. Take the plastic cover off the socket, strip about 5mm of the satnav wires, solder them to make them stiff and they slip into the socket pin holes. The cover can then be forced back on if required and wrap the socket with insulating or self amalgamating tape. Nice and simple and comes on with ignition.

Update

Now got a second hand 2610 with a RAM mount, looking at the power solution as I write. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom