1000 Miles for Bristol Children's Hospital

Toad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Why?

At the age of 12 weeks my son Morgan was diagnosed with a critical heart defect. He was immediately admitted to Bristol Children's Hospital, and 3 days later had a 5 hour operation.

He received 1 to 1 care following the operation in BCH's excellent Paediatric Intensive Care Unit. A level of care that simply could not have been improved.

136212490-L.jpg

136212496-L.jpg

Morgan is now a healthy and strong 4 year old, but I know that without the swift and expert actions of a dedicated group of people he certainly would not of reached even his first birthday.

This is the latest endeavour I'm undertaking to help the hospital extend this level of care to even more children in critical need.

What?

The challenge is a simply one. 1000 miles on my 1200GS within 24 hours following the rules laid down by the IBA.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

The route starts from my home and will pass through or close to -

Stratford-upon-Avon – Birmingham – Manchester – Carlisle – Glasgow - Fort William – Edinburgh – Berwick-upon-Tweed – Newcastle – Middlesbrough – Harrogate – Leeds – Doncaster – Sheffield – Nottingham – Leicester – Coventry – Banbury – Bicester – Oxford – Woodstock - Shipston-on-Stour

The attempt is scheduled for 10th June - but this is subject to weather and work conditions!!

Can I Help?

For sure - in one of two ways.

1) Just give cash. Follow the link at the bottom of this post. £10 is 1% of the total I'm trying to raise. I only need 100 people to do this and I'm there. Any small amount will help.

2) The two main challenges with this ride will be fatigue and boredom. To do the right average speeds it'll be mainly motorway riding. To relieve some of this boredom I'm looking for anyone who'd be interested in riding some of the route with me. If this tickles your fancy, then drop me a PM or mail me on saddlesoreATpetrolhedDOTcom

Any questions or offers of help gratefully received!!!

saddlesoreATpetrolhedDOTcom

Last edited:
Tenner on the way from me. :D

Don;t forget to hit the gift aid button coz Gardan Brine will kindly donate anoother lump of dosh!:thumb2

Good luck Toadster

Donation duly placed :thumb2

Sorry I can't join you for some / all of the ride. I'm booked on the BWM off road skills course that weekend :blast

£ 20 from me. I'd like to join you for some of the run, it is a gr8 cause.

Marcus.

Thanks for the responses so far :clap :clap

I'll get in touch nearer the time about joining the ride:thumb2

Fantastic donations. . .:bow

£20 From me and Stan and will join you on the road if your not too embarrassed to travel with the ribena bike:thumb

Fantastic idea, cause and challange. Would like to join you some of the way, and I'll PM you later if that's ok, oh, and I've donated, job well done:clap

Fantastic idea, cause and challange. Would like to join you some of the way, and I'll PM you later if that's ok, oh, and I've donated, job well done:clap

Great Effort :thumb2 :thumb2

Look forward to having you join the ride:beerjug:

Having 3 year old twins that were in special care when born, this is a worthy cause !

Let me know details of your route and would gladly (if not on twin duty) like to join you !

Best of Luck

Alan :beerjug:

Great, thanks Alan.

Details will be published nearer the time. I'll let you know.

Dan

It's lovely that your little boy is now fit and well and is to your credit that you have not disappeared into the sunset and forgotten all about those that helped and will face the same problems.

Depending on your dates I would be very happy to help pull you down through the Sheffield - Nottingham - Leicester bit.

Allan.

Thanks Allan,

That's the return leg for me, and will likely be at a low ebb, so the support will be appreciated:thumb2

You can have my Six nations pledge money with my pleasure Toad.

Let me know your route nearer the time and I'll try my best to join you for a few miles enroute.

Good luck and ride safe. :)

Thanks Duchess, that's much appreciated.

I'll be posting details of the route nearer the time.

:beerjug: :beerjug:

Thanks Roger for your contribution.

I'm slowing moving towards target, but if anyone wants to donate their pension fund, life savings, first born, or the 20p found down the back of the sofa then it all helps.

Thanks all.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom