Tomtom Rider Securing Strap

gingerbikercat

Hi,can anybody point me in the right direction as to where i can purchase the securing strap that you guys have been talking about that stops the tomtom rider moving/falling out of its cradle?Saw something for sale a couple of days ago but seems to have been pulled so have no reference to fall back on.
Cheers
HH

Don't waste your time looking - its a bit of string with a small dog clip on it. You can make your own in about 30 seconds.

Having used a Rider for a few months I found a much better (although expensive) solution. Dump it and buy a Garmin - much much better

Slightly off topic, but I got my Touratech Rider cradle and GPS mounting bar today and fitted it to my GS. It holds the rider absolutely rock solid, and I was amazed at how much the GPS bracket was shaking as I bounced along some really bad B roads, despite being solidly fitted. The rubber vibration isolators on the mount are essential to dampen the vibes.

After the ride I checked the pins - absolutely no drilling.:thumb2

IMHO its the only decent solution to the Tomtom rider cradle problem.

Thanks to all for your help...sort of. Still no clearer as to what the securing strap was or where to get hold of it from. I have read that the Rider has a habit of coming loose from its cradle, so would be happier to have it more secure now than wait for it to fall off down the road.
Not sure I want to go down the Touratech route just yet. Not 100% how often I will be using it to justify the cost.

Hi there. If you have a look Here this is the original thread that I posted the pictures of the strap on.
If you would like one just let me know.

Slightly off topic, but I got my Touratech Rider cradle and GPS mounting bar today and fitted it to my GS. It holds the rider absolutely rock solid, and I was amazed at how much the GPS bracket was shaking as I bounced along some really bad B roads, despite being solidly fitted. The rubber vibration isolators on the mount are essential to dampen the vibes.

After the ride I checked the pins - absolutely no drilling.:thumb2

IMHO its the only decent solution to the Tomtom rider cradle problem.

Do you fit the Rider on the handlebar, or on the crosspiece? Do you have any pics handy?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Egon

Are you still making these? I'm tempted with a Rider but only if I can get one of your renowned straps!!

Cheers

Alisman

Hi Egon

Are you still making these? I'm tempted with a Rider but only if I can get one of your renowned straps!!

Cheers

Alisman

Only used mine half a dozen times and it worked fine til last weekend where I spent most of the ride pushing it back to get a connection.

Basically if you are still wondering which one to go for don't touch the Rider - not fit for purpose obviously

Definately interested in one of your straps Egon!:bounce1

Hi Egon

Cheers

Alisman

I am just finishing off another 3 at the mo and only one is spoken for.

Drop me an e mail if you want one
it's s dot coxon at ntlworld dot com

Perfectly good GPS all it needs is one of these straps... True tomtom should have sorted it in the first place but the strap solves the problem perfectly.

Ive tried Garmins but prefer the TomTom Rider.

Steve

I would also love one if you have any left - going to France for a long weekend soon and would love to have for then.

I have emailed you and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tom Tom Strap

Cheers Steve - as I said in my PM quality job and very professional finish to the strap. Highly recommended!! Excuse the poor quality pictures - still raining
TTBack.jpg
TT Side.jpg
TT Front.jpg

Posted this elsewhere but worth repeating on this thread.

THE TOMTOM SUPPLIED SAFETY LEASH IS DANGEROUS.

My wife had a Rider on her bike, fitted to left bar with security strap in place. On a corner she hit a bump and the Rider came off its bracket. The strap stopped it hitting the deck BUT it hung neatly between fairing and steering causing s loss of control and a dropped bike.

Fortunately the only damage was a couple of bruises and a bent lever but it shook up a very new biker and could have been far more serious. If you use this strap check where the Rider could go WHEN the bracket fails - as it probably wll. Either that or do what we are doing now, dispense with the strap and let it hit the deck. If the bracket fails and damages the Rider it's Tomtom's design fault, IF they get enough sent back they may have to do what they should have done a long time back, not offer a free bit of string when they found a serious flaw in their system, but recall the whole lot of them and replace with a system fit for purpose.

Why are some people making restraining bars and spending money on expensive Wunderlich and Touratech brackets when the problem is a serious design fault on the original kit. If it is not fit for purpose send it back.

Hi all,

I'm still making them if anyone needs one. PM me for details.

This is NOT the strap provided by TT.

Back
Top Bottom