Green Lanes, RUPPs, BOATs etc

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
So far I have not got my behind into gear and done any green laning in this country,but since getting back from Argentine, I'd like to do some. Plus I will also soon have a Honda Dommie as an alternative to the heavyweight contender GS.

Of course, since I got the GS the whole debarcle with the Ramblers Association (Meddlers association?) has taken place and I don't know what is open for motorised use and what is not.

So where can one get a definitive list, or even waypoint routes of what is still open for trail riding?

Ditto Timolgra with the TRF.
Also get some OS Explorer maps for the area you are interested in. Look for the white lanes with green dots on. These are generally unclassified and very interesting roads, that is of course in addition to byways.

To get an example use this link, then type Llangollen in the view a map on line box in the top LH corner. When the map is displayed in a new window zoom in to max magnification. You should now see the infamous Allt y Badi. This is the type of lane you are looking for. :eek:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/

Try the link for the area you are looking to ride and then buy the map and take it with you. This together with the TRF should get you out and about.
This site has also been extremely helpful to me in that I have been able to take part in rides organised by Timpo and Timolgra. There are other rides posted for different areas frequently posted on the site.

Allt y Badi

Has anyone taken a GS UP the trail?

I managed to get down it on a WR250, getting up was another thing :(

I think it was once part of the Llangollen event off road route so several may have tried.:augie
It is reported that several people have been sent along the road by Sat Navs inc. a RAC patrol van that got stuck going down.:eek:
It was the first lane that I tried when I got a KLX (I did not know what it was like) but did not get very far. I've now ridden down a couple of times so know what to expect and will probably have another attempt soon.

Zappa, do you still have a pogo?

Yep.

Pogo is a WR250.

Went down it in December with a few others, Mr KTM led the way with a big smile on his face - he knew what was coming.:rolleyes:
Only 1 out of four got back up.
Mr KTM and another North Wester looped their bikes trying to get up, I decided to be a coward and wait at the bottom.

At the NW meet tomorrow, HOPE is a bit far away :rob

We went down it yesterday, Mouse did it on his KTM 950:bow :bow :eek:

It's been a few years since I got up it and don't think I'll be trying it again these days:rob

Public Rights of Way Officers

Another seldom used source for info.. is your local Public Rights of Way officer for you county council.
Though not always helpfull and very anti bikers in some parts of the country. If your careful, polite and sound like a rambler (hint), they sometimes have listings of routes, their classifications/start/end points that they keep and sometimes release to "interested or affected" parties.

If your not certain on the designation of the route/track etc.. ask them in writing. They should hold the difinitive answer. Maps can be several years out of date in some parts of the country.

But best place i am lead to believe is the TRF. I just got my first proper off road bike yesterday and so will try to make the buckley meeting on wed that Hew kindly informed me about.

I've noticed since NERC was brought in an awful lot of BOATS have appeared on OS maps (new editions on the OS website/getamap) where they were previously marked as bridleways (or not as a ROW at all)
I'm not sure about the red dots on a white road - the key just states this as 'other public path'??
'Bout time OS just published where all of these ROWs are instead of leaving it up to the user to be a bleedin detective! The time for not publiscising them to try to control erosion is long past, it would be better all round if they came clean and tolds us definately where we can and can't go. The IOM goverment publish an excellent map showing all green lanes - they even sign them as well. This would go some way to making up for the debacle that was NERC
Phil

How does that work then in Scotland.

I have never heard the term green lane in Scotland and I am pretty sure we dont have public rights of way as you can effectively go pretty much where ever you want.
Though it is very tough to lift a GS over a gate.

Where to my fellow Scots go "Green Laneing"?

Oops should have made it clear - I was looking at routes in Englandshire!
My folks have a caravan in the Yorkshire dales which I visited recently and I was sussing out a trip with a trail bike.
In Scotland we are pretty much stuffed for vehicle off roading (with a very few exceptions) although at least we have much simpler and better non-motorised access legislation.
Phil

I'm not sure about the red dots on a white road - the key just states this as 'other public path'??
Phil

In the landranger series OS maps the white roads with red dots are usually UCRs. The explorer series marks them with green dots.:confused:
My understanding is that these routes generally have vehicle rights and are a good starting point along with byways. Stay off other routes unless you have very good info.
You can always check routes that you are not sure of with the council Rights of way dept and with the Highways. Some of them are helpful some are not.
A short cut through this mire is, as has already been said, to join the TRF or another group in the area you are interested in, who should be able to help you with any ROW questions you have.

Back
Top Bottom