Austria...when to go

hovis

Reaction score
Iam planning a trip to Austria/Switzerland that area this summer...we're thinking of going early July and popping into Garmisch for a day or two...does anyone have any recommendations as to when is possibly the best time of year to head out ? Looking at weather patterns it seems to be on a par with us here,perhaps a little warmer, but of course I'd prefer drier !!
Any experiences to share ? I guess with the weather the world over you just take your chances now.....maybe if the rain is warmer at least !!
Any comments welcome...I seem to remember that it chucked it down at last years Garmisch meet !

Iam planning a trip to Austria/Switzerland that area this summer...we're thinking of going early July and popping into Garmisch for a day or two...does anyone have any recommendations as to when is possibly the best time of year to head out ? Looking at weather patterns it seems to be on a par with us here,perhaps a little warmer, but of course I'd prefer drier !!
Any experiences to share ? I guess with the weather the world over you just take your chances now.....maybe if the rain is warmer at least !!
Any comments welcome...I seem to remember that it chucked it down at last years Garmisch meet !

I've been in May and found snow in many places, June/July and August and it has been hot with occasional rain, September and October, like UK... and November freezing bollocks off weather. All by bike. it helped living in the Czech Republic a the time...

I went this August and the weather was generally good after rain all the way from Belgium to Salzburg. Warm in the days and chilly in the evenings to downright cold on the Grossglockner once the sun started to hide...

Did august 2 1/2 years ago weather was fine when I had rain in the vallee and snow at top of Gd St Bernard

I've been in early June when the Grossglockner was closed some of the day because of snow but opened for a brief spell giving us the chance to ride it not very pleasant in a bit of a blizzard at the top .
Went a year later beginning of September not a cloud in the sky.
Went to the Dolomites the following year again beginning of September & again hardly saw a cloud .

Austia is a nice country, but 'cause it's on the northside of the Alps, the weather can go from hot 'n sunny, to cold, fogy and even snowing in a day, or even in a few hours, or you could have both, with only 20km's in between.

This one's from Augsut 2004, on the Edelweisspitze (part of the Grossglocknerpas):cool: My mate and our bikes, the darkgray one used to be mine.

73529033-L.jpg

Same mountainpass, only half an hour and 20km's later:eek:

73529288-L.jpg

Besides, don't come telling me that the Dolomites always have better weather, 'cause it aint so. Next one was taken in August 2006, on the passo Pordoi:rolleyes:

91968492-L.jpg

Anyway, you're in the Alps, prepare for the wosrt, and hope for the best:D

Grtz, Philip!

Hi,

Furka pass is nice but Tremola pass is exceptional ! :thumb You need to take old pass (there is new pass next to it).

Also Grimsel pass is nice.

Road 337 from Domodossola to Locarno is really nice.

Actually, whole southern Switzerland is perfect ! :clap :bow

Grossglockner is ok, but I think it is too crowded...

In Austria road 3 from Chur to Silvaplana is excellent...

and and and :cool:

I will be spending a few days in the tirol late July this year, wont be a long trip but still time to tick off a few passes:D

just came back from there on Friday. Everything was open though it was still heated gloves weather at the top of Furka.

We had a mix of sun and rain and some passes clouded over. Staying up in places like Andermatt and Silvaplan it was a nice temperature. Lower down it was already getting too hot to be comfortable in full biking gear.

Didn't stop in Austria, just passed through from Fussen down to Merano in Italy. Got busted for speeding by the Austrian fuzz on the way though. Stick to the limits in towns and junction areas. The buggers hide and zap you from miles away then jump out into the road and flag you over.

Back
Top Bottom