GPS V Problem

Chris Downes

Sorry if Im imposing on your forum, but there isnt a section on the VFR Forum for GPS problems.

I have a Garmiv V and have just updated to the latest software. Since the update, when riding around I just get "Driving South" or whatever direction, instead of "Driving on Westhead Ave" etc etc. Also it no longer says what roads are approaching.

Is this a glitch in the new software does anyone know, or is it a setting I need to change on the unit?

I've been scratchin my head for a few hours over it now.

Thanks in advance, and I must say its a great forum you have over here in Beemer land :)

If anyone is in the Staffordshire area, and would like a rideout, let me know!

Chris

Chris,
This might help you. Previous thread on new software release.
Few others in the GPS forum that might be worth reading

Somewhere, I cant remember where, in the setup is the option to show or hide the street names.

The setting may have reverted to Hide, highlight it and Enter to change it. It will be saying Show navigation or something like that. (it says "hide" when you are displaying the street names.

With out my V or manual in front of me I cant help more than that.

Ok thanks guys. Will go through my settings again and see what I can see. It must be something simple and stupid thats changed.

Chris

When you have the map display on screen
Press MENU Once
Check if you have 'Show Guidance text' or 'Hide Guidance text' selected
This should sort your problem out, all you need now is a decent bike to use with your GPS :D :D :D

Chris ,
Out of curiosity have you tried using the Trcaback funtion since you upgraded to 2.30 ? I think it is bollxs since the upgrade and I much preferred it pre 2.30 . I have tried to downgrade back but I can't get it to owrk as before no matter what :(

Having looked through your Photos thread on here, it makes me envious to see yuo guys going over dirt tracks and the like up in scotland etc.... looks like great fun :D :D :D
Wish the Viffer was capable of doing that!!

Cant help on the question re: TracBack feature, as Ive never used this (remember my bike can only stick to "proper" roads :D )

Will give it a go tho if you like, and let you know what I see.

Give the viffer ago, it is amazing what you can green lane when you put your mind to it. and bank account to replace all the broken bits:D

I have been in the company of various road bikes using green lanes during treasure hunts. inc Guzzi Mille GT, Kwack Z9 ninja thing, suzuki 750 katana.

Gecko,

Press MENU Once

Thats what I meant...:rolleyes:

Did you ever get any where with the 2.3 back to 2.2 problem??

Keith Chapman said:
Gecko,

Press MENU Once

Thats what I meant...:rolleyes:

Did you ever get any where with the 2.3 back to 2.2 problem??

Hi Keith
No mate - :( I found an old firmware version going back to 2.02 and then upgraded back up to 2.20 but it's still not giving me the same clear routing view in tracback mode. I have to admit the boys at Garmin US were very helpful - the guys in the UK much less so but in the end the Tracback is history as far as I can tell now.

Chris Downes said:
Having looked through your Photos thread on here, it makes me envious to see yuo guys going over dirt tracks and the like up in scotland etc.... looks like great fun :D :D :D
Wish the Viffer was capable of doing that!!

Cant help on the question re: TracBack feature, as Ive never used this (remember my bike can only stick to "proper" roads :D )

Will give it a go tho if you like, and let you know what I see.

Chris
\Yeah I would appreciate it if you could have a quick look. If you go into your main menu TRACKS and save whatever is there you will have created a TRACK. Then open up that TRACK and some buttons should appear, on of which is TRACBACK.

The TRACK should then appear as a route so you can drive and follow the route in the same way as if you were navigating a normal route. Since I upgraded to 2.30 the line to follow on screen is now very thin (low resolution) and impossible to follow. Also instead of following the actual roads it goes in a straight line Point to Point. It doesn't lock on Road any more. I'd be curious if yours does this or not.

If you haven't played with tracback , it used to be really good, I would often use it when I went for a ride out. The GPS V records the TRACK then I saved it and I could go back months later and re-ride some routes that I may otherwise never have been able to find again. It works on as well as off road :D

Cheers
Gecko

PS Don't they make knobblies for the VFR yet :D

I have sorted the problem with my navigation text.... I simply started a route, then cancelled it and all was back to normal.

Will be going out again later, so will try the TracBack and post tonight to say what happened.

Chris

Gecko said:
Since I upgraded to 2.30 the line to follow on screen is now very thin (low resolution) and impossible to follow. Also instead of following the actual roads it goes in a straight line Point to Point. It doesn't lock on Road any more. I'd be curious if yours does this or not.

Gecko,

The following extract comes from the Garmin website:

Changes made from version 2.08 to 2.20:

In addition to many other changes, there is:

Disable 'lock on road' feature when navigating a TracBack.

Have a look at:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=123

Dave Barrett said:
Gecko,

The following extract comes from the Garmin website:

Changes made from version 2.08 to 2.20:

In addition to many other changes, there is:

Disable 'lock on road' feature when navigating a TracBack.

Have a look at:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=123

Cheers Dave
I have seen this the trouble is that lock on road feature just doesn't seem to work on the tracback anymore - at least not since the 2.30 upgrade :(

Gecko,

The way I interpret "Disable 'lock on road' feature when navigating a TracBack" is that they have deliberately taken off the "lock on road" when used with a TracBack, i.e. this feature will now only work when navigate a "normal" route.

Dave Barrett said:
Gecko,

The way I interpret "Disable 'lock on road' feature when navigating a TracBack" is that they have deliberately taken off the "lock on road" when used with a TracBack, i.e. this feature will now only work when navigate a "normal" route.

Dave I think you are right but I don't understand why they have done this. They have also lowered the number of pixel used on the tracback route line which is why it is now almost impossible to follow - backwards progress in my opinion :(

Back
Top Bottom