PDA

View Full Version : recommendations please

happy pilgrim
23-03-07, 16:17
what do you reckon is the better bike for trail riding, yamaha Wr250F
or honda CRF250x. both electric start, water cooled etc

got my gs1200 but too heavy and expensive for real off road??

Nice 'n' Fat
23-03-07, 19:37
Heart says CRF head says WR :thumb2

Spikehammer
23-03-07, 20:24
New KTM250F beats both of them

Nasty1
23-03-07, 21:12

Both bikes are heavy on the maint, the WR is probably a bit more reliable. The older CRF's have history of collapsed rear wheels and valves sinking into the head. Newer bike are better apparently.

Adie

earthmover
23-03-07, 23:15
Both bikes are heavy on the maint, the WR is probably a bit more reliable. The older CRF's have history of collapsed rear wheels and valves sinking into the head. Newer bike are better apparently.

Adie

My CRF250x has been totally reliable, rear spokes needed tightening after every ride from new, but settled down after a while. All collapsed wheels that I have heard of have been down to this. A couple of lads I know replaced the spokes with stainless and had no trouble. My valves have only needed shimming once, and that was marginal.
I have to admit that the Honda is not an "exciting" bike, but it is far more capable than its rider. WR's I have ridden don't seem to handle as well in tighter going, but that could just be down to set-up.
Mine has just had it's first MOT (fitted aftermarket lighting kit) after deciding not to replace it earlier this year.
HTH
Mark

happy pilgrim
25-03-07, 21:17
thanks all. waiting for price on Yam wr250 at present.
are ktm's reliable yet??

Cookson
26-03-07, 20:30

XR250.

:thumb2