Chamonix
Canazei
Zurich
Nancy
Reims
St. Omer
Calais to Dover
Home

Now I've set about twiddling, got basically the routes I want, then comes the quandry.

In Mapsource V.8 the maps end up being too big to have everything on my Quest. Thought then was "upgrade to a Zumo" This though comes obviously with the cost factor of the unit + installation + linking it to Autocom. The other option for a V.8 routing is to purchase a second Quest (seen them for £180 on-line) and have all the routes I need. I could also "lend" the Quest to a second member of our group for my Scotland trip so we have a couple of us with the same routes when we travel there.

OR

Use V.6 which seems to give me a lot more maps for my money. I can get all of the Euro route as well as the route down to Dover on it, and a little spare whereas V.8 I have just Europe and London area on.

Now I can assume can I that V.6 is less detailed and may not have some newer road layouts on it, I know certainly a new road near my home isn't on it. Would it however be good enough to get me round my tour without any hassle? As a staunch Yorkshireman the idea of saving money does appeal!!

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I thought I would be in a similar quandary using my Quest 1 for an imminent trip down to Spain. But in fact I can fit in all of Spain, a bit of northern Portugal, and some hefty chunks of France - using v8. If you're using m-ways/autoroutes to get you quickly to the interesting bits, then you don't really need the GPS -leave the maps off for these sections. You probably don't need the UK sections unless you're planning some really obscure route - or just go back to the old way of having a route plan taped to your tank for the UK sections and save the Quest memory for France.

I would hang fire on buying a Zumo until Garmin revise the firmware to allow route recalculation to be turned off - the price will probably have dropped a bit by then as well :thumb

Thanks Tomcat,

I've had a look at my routes in both V.6 and V.8, the V.8 ones are much more detailed when you get down to street level in the towns, I guess this is where the extra memory is used. I think Spain has less coverage too so uses less memory.

I'll be the one lost in France / Italy with the twin Quest set-up!!

Andy T

Back
Top Bottom