PDA

View Full Version : Garmin V9 ain't all that...

Jonny_L
29-03-07, 11:43
Ok, I've been playing with V9 for a while now, and something weirds gone on.
I've been planning routes through Slovenia, and V8 has much more detail than V9. Just look at these, both the same area, (first V8, second V9). While V9 has more detail in Ljubljana, it doesn't even mention Bled anymore, let alone route to it! Bit of a joke really. :nenau

Lucky I've got a map of Slovenia, looks like outside the capital the GPS will be about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest. :rolleyes:

Or am I doing something wrong?

John Armstrong
29-03-07, 11:47
Had a look here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100787 :thumb

Taff
29-03-07, 11:48
Perhaps I'm being too clever for my own good here, but can you download both V8 and V9 as two separate map "families" or does it have to be a different map altogether? :nenau IIRC the unit will then use the map with the most detail.

Thinking on my feet a bit, but if downloading both isn't possible could you download V8 to a different CF card and just swap the cards over when you get to the border.

Jonny_L
29-03-07, 11:58
Ah didn't see that one :augie

I've just been playing about, and what I've now found is that if I change the detail to low instead of high, I can see the rest of the map again :confused: I suppose it switches to the basemap at that point. Very confusing though having to lower the detail to see more detail.

I'll just have to program the route manually I suppose.

Edit: When I do that, it tried to send me through Italy and croatia to get from Bled to Ljubljana! Arrghh, this is blowing my mind!!

Jonny_L
29-03-07, 12:04
Thinking on my feet a bit, but if downloading both isn't possible could you download V8 to a different CF card and just swap the cards over when you get to the border.

Sorry didn't see that bit first off, very good idea, I might just have to do that if all else fails.

I was only planning on using the sat nav as a backup in case I get totally lost or need to get somewhere fast, as the mapping in the eastern countries is pretty poor anyway. Would be nice to know I can still do that at least.

chasr
29-03-07, 12:26
Or am I doing something wrong?
Try zooming in to 1 mile in Mapsource, with the detail switched to Highest. I bet V9 is at least as detailed as V8 ;)

John Armstrong
29-03-07, 12:38
Try zooming in to 1 mile in Mapsource, with the detail switched to Highest. I bet V9 is at least as detailed as V8 ;)

I think you'll find it isn't :( not in the areas of Croatia I've looked at.

As has been said, they seem to have a certain file size for a country and in v8 it was used to show lots of A roads and burger all in the cities, in v9 the cities have loads of detail, but the A roads have gone :confused:

chasr
29-03-07, 13:57
I think you'll find it isn't :( not in the areas of Croatia I've looked at.
I've just checked in/around Zagreb; there's b3gger all in V8, and full detail in V9!

Kenny Rodkiss
29-03-07, 14:18
On v8 you are unable to select the likes of Slovenia as a map tile so you are working off the base map.

In v9 you are able to select Slovenia as a map tile and you see whatever detail that they have added, but you will not see the base map unless you go to map info on your gps unit and untick v9 mapset and you will then be working then from the base map just as you were with v8.