DRZ advice please.. cans, sump guards and indicators

rocks

Reaction score
I need some recomendations on the following items, and so would like to pick your brains and experience.. looking for suggestions on;

1) A road "legal" can that sounds nice and doesnt restrict the engine too much. Presently bike has a FMF Powercore4 exhaust and I have the original too. The FMF is obscenely loud. Bike goes like stink, but my ears really cannot take it.. or more important my neighbours or indeed their windows.

2) Sump gaurd.. she still has the original two plastic bits and single centre aluminium one. Have seen a few single piece items, but ones I was looking at were silly silly money..

3) Indicators.. she presently has mini cat eye indicators which I HATE.. they flash way too fast and the rear ones just cannot be seen with the original plate re-fitted. I do too many road miles to risk the unwarrented attentions of our local police with a radically under sized plate. Also want them clear and visible. I have the originals i could theortically fit, but do these last or are there a better more durable larger version out there??

Is it a S or an E?

I guess that if it has indicators it must be a S?

The FMF exhaust can be repacked, so that should do the trick, for a few hundred miles at least.

IMHO, CRD make the best bash plate. But define silly money? About £90 for the CRD one from memory, tuff as houses, fit and forget. Cheaper than a new gearbox as well. Or put on a cheaper one made of cheese that does feck all?

The CRD one is very nice and trick with very strong side pieces. In saying that you "may" wish to space the front two mounting a little with a 5mm spacer. The tolerance between the frame rails is a little on the tight side. The first time you give it a good pisser on a rock it will end up touching the frame rails. :eek:

Remember to pack sump foam between the guard and the frame rails as well.

As for the indicators, will you be off roading it or is a daily ride to work jobbie. :nenau

Std indicators are fine until you drop and the buggers snap off. :spitfire Keep the small ones on and shove your arm out as a secondary notice. :thumb

Closing in..

I did a quick google search and only sump guard was £120. Seemed pricey to me. Will look at the CRD.

Re-packing can?? What with and where from?? Though to be honest its sillily loud. I am not joking. I am suspected it has not a lot inside it, rather a lot of open space instead.

Riding wise, the bike is primarily for off roading, but also for trips about to see local friends. I want good indicators. The small cats eyes that are fitted dont flash right and might as well not be there. Someone must do some better reasonable sized flexible ones, surely??

Oh its an S type indeedy.

A CRD sump guard is the only way to go! Spend the money - you'll save it later!

FWIW, the CRD sump guard should have two spacers - one on the front mounting, the other on the rear. The two central mounts have no spacers.

Greg

i got my CRD bashplate off ebay about £30 iirc

i have left the suzuki std indicators on mine..the stalks are bendy so far and have been fine :)

im also looking for a aftermarket exhaust now the stock one has rusted (bloody suzuki build quality its a 05 "S" !!) :mad:

also get some rethals cos the stock bars are made of cheese

hth

enjoy

CRD sumpguard on FleaBay at £32.

Item 330106744877 - closes in 16 hours!

Greg

A pair of CFC case protectors - currently £4.99

Ebay item 290103112634 - 4 days to go

Greg

While I'm on it, the stainless steel output shaft spacer ...

Ebay 220101243493

Greg

And finally, the front sprocket guard:

Ebay 300098218299

Greg

This is the sprocket guard I use:

drz4cs.gif

It's made by B&B Offroad in Australia. You should note that unless they have modified the design, it does not fit with a 15 tooth (or bigger) sprocket.

Greg

Thanks.. but..

Cheers Greg.. will get a sump gaurd shortly.

But the question of the can still needs to be solved. It is still seriously loud. Loud enough infact that I doudt I would like to ride the bike offroad for too long given the high throttle usage with plugs and tour-x lid.

So suggestions please..

But the question of the can still needs to be solved. It is still seriously loud. Loud enough infact that I doudt I would like to ride the bike offroad for too long given the high throttle usage with plugs and tour-x lid.

So suggestions please..

Like I suggested right at the beginning, re pack it:nenau

Any off road bike shop will sell, 1/2 hr job to do at the most. The repacking "wool" once wet is second to crap anyway, so if its been in there a while its shagged!

See here

Then click on "exhausts", then "exhaust accessories"

Failing fitting it for you, there is little else I can do?

But the question of the can still needs to be solved. It is still seriously loud.

(If you'll forgive the expression) sounds like you may have an 'E' exhaust on it.

The stock 'S' exhaust is, of course, road legally quiet.

They do come up on eBay from time to time.

Greg

This is the sprocket guard I use:

drz4cs.gif

It's made by B&B Offroad in Australia. You should note that unless they have modified the design, it does not fit with a 15 tooth (or bigger) sprocket.

Greg

ive got one of them too :) i had to grind a bit away so it fitted with the std "S" front sprocket ,no drama

(If you'll forgive the expression) sounds like you may have an 'E' exhaust on it.

The stock 'S' exhaust is, of course, road legally quiet.

They do come up on eBay from time to time.

Greg

Greg,

I think that you will find that the exhaust port is a different size, hence the exhausts are not interchangeable.

This was the problem with those people that bought the E version. You either had to buy the OE insert that mutted it to death and at the cost of losing 50% of the performance, or go down the after market like the CRD or FMF route.

Greg,

I think that you will find that the exhaust port is a different size, hence the exhausts are not interchangeable.

This was the problem with those people that bought the E version. You either had to buy the OE insert that mutted it to death and at the cost of losing 50% of the performance, or go down the after market like the CRD or FMF route.

I stand corrected!

Greg

I think that the SM has the same donkey as the S, so the exhaust port should be the same.

But I dunno if the rest of the SM system will fit the S.

Any ideas?

Greg

Packing..

I have the original exhaust, but was told they really restrict the engine, so was wondering if there was a legal half way point to be achieved somewhere.

In the meantime I will pop down to ER Williams in Mold tomorrow and see if they have any packing. I love the sound of the can at present, just its too loud when the throttle is wound open...lol.

PS thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. Going to trawl flea bay and see what comes up on the sumpguard side. I believe my bike already at the frame protectors fitted.

That front sprocket guard looks good too.

Back
Top Bottom