Quest Routing

Keith Chapman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Why does this happen.

I set of to go somewhere and ask my Quest to go shortest route, but on the return trip I ask for shortest route back to where I started and I get sent on a different route? :confused:
I would have thought that the shortest route one way would also be the shortest return:nenau

This question has been asked a couple of times before, and Pan E responded (where's he gone, anyway :nenau). He said it was something to do with the space-time continuum, or something like that.

I've noticed an anomaly that caused a similar problem on my Quest where a particular junction wouldn't allow a right turn when in reality this was permitted. This caused a totally different return route as it detoured to avoid this.

Do you get similar results in Mapsource?

If your route has some close viable alternatives then a few small one way systems or even a roundabout or two might sway the selection of the roads it follows :nenau

I don't think anyone here knows the workings of Garmin's routing algorithm, and for that matter the road attributes within the mapping data, that effect the choice of route.

Neither the maps nor the algorithms will ever be perfect.

It is an almost unimaginably large and complex problem to solve.

Surely a successful navigation by GPS is to get you from A to B, even if it is not the 100% perfect or optimum solution.

Back
Top Bottom