PDA

View Full Version : Newe tyre desperately wanter Aberdeen area or on the way to Rosyth... :-(

AndyT
03-04-07, 14:09
Can anyone recomend where I can get a new typre/s for my GSPD in or around the Aberdeen area as i am struggling at the moment - 130/80 x 17.

Failing that I may have to get one fitted on the way to the fery on Thursday so anywhere inbetween Aberdeen and Rosyth is an option but cutting it very fine.:rolleyes:
I can't believe how hard it is to get a new tyre for a motorcycle here in Aberdeen. The one decent place "Sillets" is closed at the moment as he has hurt his back and can't move. I was actually in there on Saturday and he ordered new Anakee for my GS PD but now I am struggling to get anything and my Ferry is Thursday afternoon.

Ecosse Motorcycles apart from being unhelpful (they said they didn't know anywhere in Aberdeen that did Bike Tyres) wanted 115 + Vat for a rear on its own:eek: And it would be Thursday earliest before they could do it.

I don't want to turn up at the Dutch GS rally on my Harley, I would get hung.

Thanks

Andy

Schtum
03-04-07, 14:29
Stop off at Strathearn Tyres in Crieff on the way down......:nenau

Stumpy
03-04-07, 14:34
Hi Andy

you could try John at Huntly

HUNTLY MOTORCYCLES
8 MacDonald Street
Huntly.Aberdeenshire.Scotland.AB54 8EW
Tel: 01466 792070
Mob: 07900 377414
E-mail: john@huntlymotorcycles.co.uk
Your Contact: John Landale

He carries some tyres but can get most in 24 hrs. Works on several GS's in the area. He won't be as cheap as Crieff buy maybe more local to you.

Stumpy

Deleted account rno
03-04-07, 15:02
Andy,
Try Cupar Motorcycles (Tel: 01334 655707). It wouldn't be far off your route to Rosyth..:thumb2

I got my last tyres from them. They had them in stock for about a fiver more than Strathearn but I saved that on fuel.

Egon
03-04-07, 15:08
Was going to suggest Cupar Motorcycles but I've just rung them and no joy.

Coolcarbon
03-04-07, 15:12
Drysdale in Perth are usually pretty good on price and getting them in at short notice...

01738 451050

Voyager
03-04-07, 16:05
They are south of the bridge but I use C&J Wilson's in Uphall (01505 856751) - they are Kawasaki dealers but handle almost anything.

They are not far from the FR Bridge.

They usually have to order my choice of tyre (Pirelli MT90 on the 100GS) - but they do have a small stock.

They can often get tyres in 'next day' if you phone them now.

Bob.

Voyager
03-04-07, 16:24
The one decent place "Sillets" is closed at the moment as he has hurt his back and can't move. I was actually in there on Saturday and he ordered new Anakee for my GS PD but now I am struggling to get anything and my Ferry is Thursday afternoon. Andy

Andy,

Have Sillets actually got your Anakee - but can't fit it ?

If so, could you take it to another fitter (assuming someone will retrieve it and take your money while officially closed) ?

What time is your Ferry on Thursday ?

Bob.

AndyT
03-04-07, 16:31
Thanks guys keep em coming. Costco have now said they can't get them for Thursday but next Tuesday earliest (I'll be back from Holland by then...:rolleyes: ).

My hopes are pinned on Strathearn at the moment who are calling me back regarding delivery with .......bl**dy nora just spotted all the other replies:eek: Cupar would be on my way and Drysdales. I don't have time to go up to Huntly and its in the wrong direction for the ferry and I have to work up until I set off. Memory to ones self - Bring in Shiney Red Apple for boss so I can leave early;)

Aberdeen really is the pits... a one Man show in a lock up who works his butt off has bought Aberdeen to a stand still buy putting his back out.... Silletts really is a great place and without it Aberdeen has very little and absolutely nothing with any service satifaction, its as if you are a hinderance whan you ask to buy something.:mad:

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone.

PhilM
03-04-07, 16:38
Dare I say it...................Shirlaws

or

Jim Hay Motorcycles
20 Mearns St
Aberdeen, AB11 5AT

01224 210 703

AndyT
03-04-07, 16:42
Dare I say it...................Shirlaws

or

Jim Hay Motorcycles
20 Mearns St
Aberdeen, AB11 5AT

01224 210 703

Tried Shirlaws - have to order them in for next week. I don't think Jim Hay does tyres he takes them up to Silletts as do John Clark BMW. I spy a business opportunity........

It'll teach me to have 5 bikes when 4 would be enough;)

AndyT
03-04-07, 16:45
Andy,

Have Sillets actually got your Anakee - but can't fit it ?

If so, could you take it to another fitter (assuming someone will retrieve it and take your money while officially closed) ?

What time is your Ferry on Thursday ?

Bob.

I don't know to be honest. I went in on Saturday and he said it was being delivered Monday morning but he has been closed since.:( As a double precaution I will check tomorrow if he is back in work yet but unless his back is really hurt I know he would have been in as he is a real grafter. They are not answering the phone at the moment so I will have to wait and see.

smirky
04-04-07, 06:18
D.M Motorcycle Tyres
Drumsturdy Rd, Kingennie, Dundee, Angus DD5 3RE
Tel: 01382 370319

KAYCEE
04-04-07, 12:09
I know that it might not be PC to say it, but the last time I need tyres I found that Clarks in Dundee were within a couple of quid of the price I'd got quoted from Strathearn Tyres.

AndyT
04-04-07, 12:15
I know that it might not be PC to say it, but the last time I need tyres I found that Clarks in Dundee were within a couple of quid of the price I'd got quoted from Strathearn Tyres.

I spoke to JC's yesterday and was told that they take the wheels offsite to have them fitted and I need a drive in drive out now. I've just spoken to Strathearn and they have a set waiting for me so I will make a detour on the way to the Ferry and get them fitted. I should have asked for knobblies so I can do the Dutch offroad sections....

Thanks again everyone

AndyT:thumb2

alexw
04-04-07, 21:23
Spoke to Sillets today and he is still off with his back, I guess he has damaged it pretty good, not like him.

I don't suppose ecosse would do you much good?

AndyT
05-04-07, 01:02
Spoke to Sillets today and he is still off with his back, I guess he has damaged it pretty good, not like him.

I don't suppose ecosse would do you much good?

The bloke at Sillets is a one man tyre changing machine and a real grafter - as you say he must be horizontal.

I tried Ecosse and not only did I not have time to wait for the tyre I didn't have time to get the mortgage to pay for it approved:eek: :eek:

AndyT

Suppose I should start packing now if I am setting off early in the morning:(

AndyT
11-04-07, 12:47
I went by Silletts again today for MT21's for the Husky and he is "back" open again hobbling round... he needs a helper I recon or he will permenantly damage himself.

Blackal
11-04-07, 13:00

I haven't used Strathearn myself yet, but it seems that Clarks can survive without tyre sales, whereas Strathearn can't.

I'd be inclined to take a trip to Creif next time :thumb2

Al:D

SpyInTheCamp
11-04-07, 14:56
I haven't used Strathearn myself yet, but it seems that Clarks can survive without tyre sales, whereas Strathearn can't.
That's the approach I take too. I have used both Strathern and Sillets in the past. Both are excellent.

Thinking of using Serviceline in Newton St Boswells next or even asking the local garage in the village if they can help. The lad that owns it used to be a biker until he had a very bad accident and lost his leg!

If we don't support these smaller businesses just cos they are a couple of quid dearer (although often they are actually cheaper) then they'll be gone.

Kai

Turraloon
26-12-08, 12:26
Just for future reference Andy T, Cameron Autotech in Cuminestown, Turriff have a massive selection of bike tyres and will get in for the nest day!:)

Uinneag
26-12-08, 12:35
The number of dealers with no tyre machines is disgracefull

I got my 1200 serviced in Inverness and got it handed back with the rear tyre into the canvass as they couldn't change the tyre due to another bike shop being closed on a monday.

A service on a bike is not just mechanical but also a saftey check.

scotboxer
26-12-08, 13:19
http://www.scorpiontyres.co.uk/

Based In Broughty Ferry.

Duh! Didn't spot the date of the original post!