O S maps on a Garmin

• Thread starter Rampant Stallion
  • Start date

Rampant Stallion

Am I right in thinking that O S maps (Memory Map, Fugawi etc) will not show on a Garmin Zumo, 60csx etc?
I understand that a route can be created on the PC using these maps and the waypoints and route can then be sent to the GPSR. These will then show on the unit's map. Also, the tracklog can be sent to the PC and the tracks will show on the O S maps. But I am led to believe that even with O S maps on the SD card, they will not show on the GPSR. Am I right or wrong, or maybe somewhere in between? :nenau
I'm thinking about using a Garmin for trail riding and having my position on the screen would help to stave-off the usual irate bobble-hats. Garmin Topo maps are pretty useless for this as they don't show the detail of the O S maps. What are the experts' opinions?

1) Never tried to download Fugawi OS maps to a Garmin - don't know about that except to say I haven't heard if it can be done but would like to know too!

2) Yes, you can create Routes and Waypoints on Fugawi OS Maps but the data file format is different from Garmin files. You need a utility programme to convert from one format to the other. I use this. http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

3) Yes, you can upload the tracks from your Garmin to Mapsource on the PC and then save a track file. The utility above can be used to convert it for display on other packages such as OS maps (Fugawi) or Autoroute. Note: The utility will only convert one way, from Garmin into Autoroute. I don't know of a method to create something in Autoroute then send it to a Garmin (does anyone else?)

- part answer. Hope it helps a bit.

What you need is

Am I right in thinking that O S maps (Memory Map, Fugawi etc) will not show on a Garmin Zumo, 60csx etc?
I understand that a route can be created on the PC using these maps and the waypoints and route can then be sent to the GPSR. These will then show on the unit's map. Also, the tracklog can be sent to the PC and the tracks will show on the O S maps. But I am led to believe that even with O S maps on the SD card, they will not show on the GPSR. Am I right or wrong, or maybe somewhere in between? :nenau
I'm thinking about using a Garmin for trail riding and having my position on the screen would help to stave-off the usual irate bobble-hats. Garmin Topo maps are pretty useless for this as they don't show the detail of the O S maps. What are the experts' opinions?

A Navigator 7000 from Memory Map / Road Angel, I have been using mine for a while now it is is fantastic to be able to follow the OS map along trails. Plus it routes and is a normal GPS too.

I'm not bothered about ordinary road routing as all the GPSR models I'm considering will do that. What is of interest however, is having a moving OS map that shows my current position, together with Rights of Way etc. Mucky is on the right track with the Road Angel Navigator/Adventurer 7000.
The only down-side to these units, as I see it, is they have no means of inputting a grid ref or Lat/Long co-ordinates. You find a destination by address, favourites or recently found. So, you arrange to meet your mates at a certain grid ref, but you have no means of finding this on the moving map.
Or, on the Euro maps, (as an example, cos I dunno if they cover Morocco) young Ali has just given you a business card with the Lat/Long co-ordinates of his uncle's auberge - you have no idea where it is or how to get there. A major flaw/oversight in what would appear to be an otherwise excellent bit of kit. :confused:

I posted this link a while back ( to deafening silence:( ,) but it may be just what you're looking for.www.satmap.com
I should say that I have no connection with this company at all, and that I've only seen the site, but it looks quite cool and I'll certainly be investigating the product in the Summer:thumb2 .

Thanks for the link, JohnB. I've filled the form in, and await them sending me further details. I think though, that it will only offer a moving O S map and not any kind of routing or European mapping.
Am I asking for the impossible or maybe I'm thinking a few years ahead of the manufacturers? Just a GPSR that will auto-route on UK and European roads, and show my position on a moving O S map.:confused:

Mucky, that’s a very interesting GPSR (Navigator 7000) seeing as its waterproof!

Do you have any pictures of it on your bike?

Navigator 7000 - http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-angel-navigator-7000.htm

My bike is in for an MOT I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

You can still follow and mark co-ordinates on the moving map, it is easy to set a destination (to meet friends at a certain point) then to switch to the OS map and continue off road!

Cheers Mucky, try and post a picture of the mount too if you can,

Thanks, Martin :thumb2

My bike is in for an MOT I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

You can still follow and mark co-ordinates on the moving map, it is easy to set a destination (to meet friends at a certain point) then to switch to the OS map and continue off road!

I understand that the GPS page shows Lat/Long of current position, but when scrolling the map to find the co-ordinates of another location, the info box disappears. So how do you set a destination that is not a postcode or actual address?

I'm not bothered about ordinary road routing as all the GPSR models I'm considering will do that. What is of interest however, is having a moving OS map that shows my current position, together with Rights of Way etc. Mucky is on the right track with the Road Angel Navigator/Adventurer 7000.
The only down-side to these units, as I see it, is they have no means of inputting a grid ref or Lat/Long co-ordinates. You find a destination by address, favourites or recently found. So, you arrange to meet your mates at a certain grid ref, but you have no means of finding this on the moving map.
Or, on the Euro maps, (as an example, cos I dunno if they cover Morocco) young Ali has just given you a business card with the Lat/Long co-ordinates of his uncle's auberge - you have no idea where it is or how to get there. A major flaw/oversight in what would appear to be an otherwise excellent bit of kit. :confused:

You can mark any grid ref position. Put a waypoint anywhere on a map and change the Lat/Long to the required position, this will show where you want it to. Change the name to Grannies Cafe etc. and thats all there is to it.

Back
Top Bottom