temperature an weather May / June

thauma

Reaction score
I'm off to Spain, through France heading as far south as Granada (Andalucia) last week of May, first of June.

Been to Europe (France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy) quite a few times, but never to Spain - so I'm looking forward to it. I'm being lazy and spoiling myself so I'll be in hotels, not camping. So I'm not worried about camping gear.

What is the temperature going to be like at that time of year. I'm hoping pleasantly warm, but not too hot - but I guess I could be (very very :rolleyes: very) wrong. Also does it rain much at that time of year?

Just thinking of what to take with me and what gear to wear on the bike - should it be vented leathers, or full gortex.

Any advice or recommendations welcomed.

Cheers

Dave#...

Hey Dave.

Been to Spain a bunch of times but to Andalucia only once on an organised tour. Stayed in a mix of semi-decent hotels & Paradores (http://www.parador.es/english/ if you're interested in some fantastic places to stay). Had my bike serviced in Almeria. Anyhows, I got bad sunburn one day and had some of the worst riding in rain for 10 hrs skirting Barcelona the next during June. Generally it should be 16-23C around that area though you're going to have to bargain on preparing for rain as you would on any trip. I didn't prepare well enough and ended up buying new gloves when my bike was serviced and never ever got to wear them ...

Enjoy your trip - lovely part of the world and some great roads.

Cheers Daz :thumb ,

much as I thought, cool to hot ... with the potential for precipitation. So it sounds like normal preparation applies.

hi the weather will be ok in the north just like a warm uk ride some of the n260 across the spanish side of the pyrenees best bike road in europe as you travel south towards alicante the weather changes to hot if you venture near seville be warned the spanish call it the frying pan of spain the city is in a bowl and gets very hot in the summer (end of june beginning july) i am sure you will have fun it is a great place to ride a bike

andy:thumb2 :Motomartin

Sounds just about the perfect time to ride that route.

Top strip of Spain and French Pyrenees are green for a reason!;)
Any earlier and you risk posibility of snow storms, any later and you'll bake once away from the hills.

I had heavy rain and sub 10'c in August in Pamplona 2006 and have had 38'c in May in French Dordogne. But you have to place your bet somewhere in the calendar!

The right kit should see you good - I use an aerostich roadcrafter and it's versatility is a boon.

Enjoy the ride, it should be lovely.

Simon

Once had snow going over the pyrenees via Burgos in 3rd week in May. One hour later down on the central plain it was baking hot. Whatever weather you get I'm sure you'll have a great time.

We did a tour a couple of years ago at the same time of year. We went across Andorra, down to Barcelona, across the Sierra Nevada , along the Costas to Ronda before heading north to the Picos. We had temperatures in the 30s quite often in the south and heading north. I vividly remember entering Elvas in Portugal in mid-afternoon and it was 35 deg - bloody hot. When we got towards Potes the temperatures dropped to a more pleasant mid 20s. In 17 days we never had any rain whatsoever...lucky or what?:D

just got back from the south of france last week , the temperature,s even at this time of the year were in the low to mid 20,s too hot for me :rolleyes: . if it,s that hot already, it look,s like southern europe is in for a serious heatwave come high summer .btw not one drop of rain in the week or so that i was there .
also i spotted in a petrol station near biarritz a gs with a big union jack on the rear right pannier, along with a 650 and a gs adventure. must have been someone on here ?

Just to let you know that here in the Dordogne, north of the Pyrenees it hit 30C today. The past weeks have been getting warmer and warmer.
We bought a couple of airflow type jackets with full armour in them for 90 euros each (£60).
Roll on the summer!

Bob
http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom